Pitch and POI

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ole.DK

I have read in here that Pitch can alter the POI.
Can someone explain to me how Pitch affects POI.
I am convinced that Pitch is as individual a case as cast - bend and LOP.

Can you prove that?

Here is a video about pitch. Not once was point of impact mentioned.

This fella's quite a good shot too :giggle:

Last edited:
As Russell correctly says, incorrect pitch affects second barrel shot placement insofar as too much muzzle movement hampers the ability to move the gun smoothly. It won’t alter point of impact as the shot’s left the barrel before the symptoms of incorrect pitch are felt.

It surprises me how often I see guns with incorrect pitch, sometimes amongst quite experienced competitors who ought to know better. Odd really as it’s a relatively easy fix. Pitch spacers are cheap and plentiful.

Pitch most definitely has a impact on the poi
Hi Ben
Can you explain how the poi is affected by the pitch.
I can't find anything concrete on the subject.
Some say it has an effect, others that it doesn't.
I myself have experienced that with too much pitch the muzzel will sink, and rise if too little pitch.

One obviously for Ben but as I understand it from reading Oswold's book.

If there is insufficient pitch (the butt pad is angled in to the receiver too much at the heel) the gun tends ride up the shoulder (both on mount and when fired) resulting in an increase in comb height (assuming all other things remain equal). When fired there is mussel flip and as it rides up it kicks the face.

If there is too much pitch (the butt pad is angled away too much at the heal) the heel will dig into the shoulder - it might then get mounted very low into the shoulder/armpit for comfort resulting in an increase in apparent comb height.

In short, pitch needs to be sorted before comb height.

Having said all of that when sorting my daughter's gun the cast at the butt pad was just as important as the pitch to ensure consistent contact with the shoulder throughout the butt pad. An adjustable comb was then required to bring the cast at the face back a little.

One obviously for Ben but as I understand it from reading Oswold's book.

If there is insufficient pitch (the butt pad is angled in to the receiver too much at the heel) the gun tends ride up the shoulder (both on mount and when fired) resulting in an increase in comb height (assuming all other things remain equal). When fired there is mussel flip and as it rides up it kicks the face.

If there is too much pitch (the butt pad is angled away too much at the heal) the heel will dig into the shoulder - it might then get mounted very low into the shoulder/armpit for comfort resulting in an increase in apparent comb height.

In short, pitch needs to be sorted before comb height.

Having said all of that when sorting my daughter's gun the cast at the butt pad was just as important as the pitch to ensure consistent contact with the shoulder throughout the butt pad. An adjustable comb was then required to bring the cast at the face back a little.
Agreed....
But I don't know that book by Oswold, can you give me the full title.

Be careful how much faith you have in what you read ! So much misinformation is posted on forums .
Pitch is the term to describe the angle between the Butt and the Rib line .
Point of Impact is determined by bore line and how it is positioned in relation to the Rib sighting line.

The book referred to is Stock Fitting Secrets by American author Rollin Oswald

Don't forget "Shotgunning, The Art and Science" by Bob Brister.

This one is by an English writer, "Shotgun Shooting Techniques and Technology" by John Brindle.

Both are full of information.

Agree with Freddypip,

In my view, the pitch of your stock should ensure that the full contact area of the butt pad is in contact with your shoulder pocket when the gun is properly mounted and your eye/rib relationship is correct - and when fired.

If it is not, then there will obviously be a gap somewhere between your shoulder and the top or bottom of the butt pad, (which will vary in amount due to the amount of pitch error).

This “gap” will attempt to closed by the gun butt on recoil, which may be imperceptible to you due to the overall effect of the recoil, but will mean there is likely to be a variation on the elevation of the rib at the point of firing.

You can simulate the effects of this yourself, by getting something like a door wedge and taping it to your gun butt, first one way up then the other. See what happens!

You will likely have a sore shoulder the next day if your pitch is way out in addition.

Agree with Freddypip,

In my view, the pitch of your stock should ensure that the full contact area of the butt pad is in contact with your shoulder pocket when the gun is properly mounted and your eye/rib relationship is correct - and when fired.

If it is not, then there will obviously be a gap somewhere between your shoulder and the top or bottom of the butt pad, (which will vary in amount due to the amount of pitch error).

This “gap” will attempt to closed by the gun butt on recoil, which may be imperceptible to you due to the overall effect of the recoil, but will mean there is likely to be a variation on the elevation of the rib at the point of firing.

You can simulate the effects of this yourself, by getting something like a door wedge and taping it to your gun butt, first one way up then the other. See what happens!

You will likely have a sore shoulder the next day if your pitch is way out in addition.
A young lad I’m friendly with did just that!! He was finding he had to shoot above some targets to kill them, by adding a wedge, made by him he’s found that he’s not getting bruised and he now shoots where he’s looking.
His words 👍

Back