Pigeon shooting 2014

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said in my post mike, perhaps we can sort out a date when you can come and stay with me for a couple of days pigeon shooting by day, deer at dusk or dawn, lamping the foxes at night, if that's not enough we can always go on the clays or fishing

Best day I've ever had was 213 on rape at the last estate I worked on (5000 acres) as a tractor / combine driver . Always good for pigeon and often shot 100+ bags, but since moving to the current farm I work on it's proved very difficult to find any large numbers of pigeon, we get a few but not the numbers I used to shoot ... but im always watching and if and when they do turn up in force I will be there at them :)

Shot 112 last week on the rape, excellent result after watching them build up for a week or so.

I'm very lucky that I live on the estate (4,200 acres ) and do the keepering for a small syndicate, also control the deer and foxes.

The tenant farmers are quick to ring if the pigeons are there, but I've usually already seen them and just waiting for the best time to go.

My best day so far has been 461 over peas on my own 2 years ago, thank god for mobile phones cos I ran out of cartridges twice,

With the wife and the farmer fetching me more. Started shooting at 6 on a misty morning with visibility about 80yards,

Shot about 20 by 10 o clock and things went a bit quiet, pulled the Decoys in and nipped home for breakfast, went back at 1 o clock and the field was blue with pigeons, shot continuously through till about 7 o clock. Then rang the wife to bring my old lab out to help me pick up. Absolutely knackered the next day, but a day I don't think I will ever forget

Mostly shoot anything between 3 and 4,000 a year and sell them to local pubs for £1.25 per bird ( oven ready ) or an average of 25p to game dealer.

P.s. The pigeon I sell to the pubs go on the plate for £10.50 a time
  441 Pigeons in 7 hours That`s 63 pigeon every 60 minutes. Well Done Ashley :yahoo:

Thanks joe, like I said absolutely knackered next day, I was supposed to go clay shooting at the club next day but couldn't even bear to look at the gun.

In over thirty years decoying I've never had pigeons come to the Decoys like it. They were traveling low up a ten acre field( because it was blowing hard ) in groups of ten or more, even when I shot the leading bird or birds, the rest in the group still came in to either land or circle, even when my younger lab was out there picking up. Shot 3 birds with one shot a couple of times and had 36 right and lefts, also went over 40 shots without missing, which beat my previous best of 32.

I regularly shoot 200+ and love taking people out who have never had much success, back in August I took a mate from the clay club who had never shot more than a dozen in one go,

Set him up and went to different field on my own, keeping in touch with Walkie talkies, he shot 173 and the look on his face when I picked him up was priceless

I keep very detailed records of the days, farm,field,crop,month,weather conditions, air pressure, cartridge to kill ratio

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks joe, like I said absolutely knackered next day, I was supposed to go clay shooting at the club next day but couldn't even bear to look at the gun.

In over thirty years decoying I've never had pigeons come to the Decoys like it. They were traveling low up a ten acre field( because it was blowing hard ) in groups of ten or more, even when I shot the leading bird or birds, the rest in the group still came in to either land or circle, even when my younger lab was out there picking up. Shot 3 birds with one shot a couple of times and had 36 right and lefts, also went over 40 shots without missing, which beat my previous best of 32.

I regularly shoot 200+ and love taking people out who have never had much success, back in August I took a mate from the clay club who had never shot more than a dozen in one go,

Set him up and went to different field on my own, keeping in touch with Walkie talkies, he shot 173 and the look on his face when I picked him up was priceless

I keep very detailed records of the days, farm,field,crop,month,weather conditions, air pressure, cartridge to kill ratio
Hi Ashley. i wish i had pigeon shooting, but we dont get many on the fens. Perhaps it would have been better for you if you had used a FAC  Semi Auto with a large Magazine. Atb Mate.  :thumbsup:

Hi joe, my estate is the opposite side of the river wye to where the late great Archie Coats learned to shoot pigeons ( Whitney court )

The valley is a phenomenal holding ground for countless birds at all times of the year, we do have our lean spells but thankfully not many.

Before now I have set up on a grass field and shot 30 or so, the pigeons see the decoys and just think ( party on ) and come for a look.

Don't get me wrong, I can't charm them out of the trees, but I was taught very well when I was young how to make the most of an ordinary day

All the best , Ashley

Hi joe, my estate is the opposite side of the river wye to where the late great Archie Coats learned to shoot pigeons ( Whitney court )

The valley is a phenomenal holding ground for countless birds at all times of the year, we do have our lean spells but thankfully not many.

Before now I have set up on a grass field and shot 30 or so, the pigeons see the decoys and just think ( party on ) and come for a look.

Don't get me wrong, I can't charm them out of the trees, but I was taught very well when I was young how to make the most of an ordinary day

All the best , Ashley
Ashley, Perhaps if you have too many Pigeons, you could send some to me. . 

I will do my best, can you send me some rabbits ? I can cover up to 10 miles in a nights lamping and am lucky to see 20, there has never been to many on the estate. I used to love ferreting when I was a kid, no nets, put my little Jill in and stand back, with my dad or uncle the other side of the hedge, fantastic sport. Would love to start my grandson on it but with not to many bunnies about it's hardly worth keeping a ferret for

I will do my best, can you send me some rabbits ? I can cover up to 10 miles in a nights lamping and am lucky to see 20, there has never been to many on the estate. I used to love ferreting when I was a kid, no nets, put my little Jill in and stand back, with my dad or uncle the other side of the hedge, fantastic sport. Would love to start my grandson on it but with not to many bunnies about it's hardly worth keeping a ferret for
Ashley, leave the rabbits alone for a few months and let them breed, perhaps you have a few foxes about. I have thousands of rabbits here now as i have shot all the foxes total tally was 62 since feb last year. If you want to come over this way i will take you out after rabbits and you will not believe how many i have, i will soon have to start thinning them out with the Hmr, if you ever want a hand Foxing with NV just ask Atb.

Hi joe , in thirty odd years shooting on the estate there have never been that many rabbits, just a few pockets of them dotted about.

I average around 150 foxes a year here and can never seem to get to the bottom of them.

I have heard rumours for years around here that the ( cuddly brigade) bring the cage caught town foxes out for a new life in the country,

I certainly shoot quite a few rough skinny things, and once shot a 3 legged one.

Thanks for your offer off some bunny shooting and I have never been to Norfolk though people say it's very nice.

You would be welcome to come to shoot some foxes with me, and I'm very interested in the night vision. I have tried some nv kit but couldn't really get on with it. It claimed vision out to 300 yards but 80 was more like it for a clear shot. It cost me around £2,200 to set it up and I was very disappointed with it, ended up selling at a big loss.

What rifles do you have, and what Calibre ?

Hi joe , in thirty odd years shooting on the estate there have never been that many rabbits, just a few pockets of them dotted about.

I average around 150 foxes a year here and can never seem to get to the bottom of them.

I have heard rumours for years around here that the ( cuddly brigade) bring the cage caught town foxes out for a new life in the country,

I certainly shoot quite a few rough skinny things, and once shot a 3 legged one.

Thanks for your offer off some bunny shooting and I have never been to Norfolk though people say it's very nice.

You would be welcome to come to shoot some foxes with me, and I'm very interested in the night vision. I have tried some nv kit but couldn't really get on with it. It claimed vision out to 300 yards but 80 was more like it for a clear shot. It cost me around £2,200 to set it up and I was very disappointed with it, ended up selling at a big loss.

What rifles do you have, and what Calibre ?
Ruger 10/22

CZ .17 HMR

CZ .17 HORNET

SAVAGE .17 HORNET  NV

BLASER R8 .243  NV

BLASER R8 .270

BLASER R8 .308

SAVAGE .270   NV

All the Rifles are fitted with Hardy sound mods by "RIFLECRAFT" Apart from the Blaser .308 is standerd which has no mod as it is used for Wild Boar  when i shoot abroad.

Bloody hell joe that's an arsenal, i have

.22 Walther with mod

.17 hornet ( laminate thumb hole ) + mod

25/06 howa with mod

How did you manage to convince the police you needed so many rifles ?

What do you reckon of the .17 hornet ?

I'm very pleased with mine, it's a joy to use and very accurate

What sort of night vision do you have ?

I would dearly love to try the longbow stuff,but trying to convince the mrs that spending about £5,000 [just to shoot some foxes ] would be a miracle

If your serious about coming over here to shoot some foxes later in the year ( preferably after the combine ) you can stay with me for a couple of days and help me thin a few out

Ruger 10/22

CZ .17 HMR

CZ .17 HORNET

SAVAGE .17 HORNET  NV

BLASER R8 .243  NV

BLASER R8 .270

BLASER R8 .308

SAVAGE .270   NV

All the Rifles are fitted with Hardy sound mods by "RIFLECRAFT" Apart from the Blaser .308 is standerd which has no mod as it is used for Wild Boar  when i shoot abroad.
that is some virmin control kit..!!  :biggrin:

hopefully out on the pigeons saturday, early start on some maze cover crop that they have just decided tastes nice,, :hunter: will let you now how things go.

ashley you are a true country gent my friend  :fan: fair play mate to you on what you do and achieve through the year,

im very much like you, i work for an estate looking after most things from the rented houses to getting cars mot"ed and even airport runs now and again.but main thing is the shooting... we do 25 days simulated game days here and i host/coach these days and then they finish in july and the game season then starts for me as the 7 week old poults arrive and the fun starts again, but like you i think of myself to be very lucky as i do a job i love and put 110% in as it is part of me, i love my shooting like yourself and have a small amount of weapons 22/250....10/22 ruger 22 .. and this ample for me on here.. but have a 17hmr on fac just waiting to find the right one for me. have many shot guns and also a winchester auto 9 shot !!! this is a great bit of kit for virmin/pigeon shooting and the main thing rat shooting at night,...i am lucky to have a keeper next door that i can call a good friend and we work together and shoot together alot..he does 75 days a year on average and this time of the year we go rat bashing at night and can shoot 250/300 cartridges in one night !!!  its good sport ...

hope to see you again soon mate 

mark

I hope to be out on the pigeon Saturday , I've noticed a busy flight line on our boundary while I have been out ploughing the last couple days :) knowing my luck there will be sod all moving when I get there Saturday !

I hope to be out on the pigeon Saturday , I've noticed a busy flight line on our boundary while I have been out ploughing the last couple days :) knowing my luck there will be sod all moving when I get there Saturday !
i know what you mean poacher mate, i reckon today 300 on maze !!! but i bet saturday it will be 3 !!! but flask ready/dog ready/ hide already built..just in case ha ha .. :biggrin:

Ruger 10/22

CZ .17 HMR

CZ .17 HORNET

SAVAGE .17 HORNET  NV

BLASER R8 .243  NV

BLASER R8 .270

BLASER R8 .308

SAVAGE .270   NV

Ashley, the Savage .270 has a Yukon Photon that is ideal for Boar at night and is fine for Fox Max 200yd it has a Firedot Ret. The Blaser .243 has a 550 Pulser, and the Savage .17 Hornet has a 750 Pulser, i also have NS200 and a home made job that will get out to nearly 300yd which i can use on the .17 Hmr and the CZ Hornet. Out of the .17 Hornets i perfer the Savage it does it`s job and is spot on cant fault it . i only purchased this.17 Savage because i could not get hold of a CZ as they were not in the UK at the time and i had put down a big deposit on the CZ, so had to have it when it came in. I have never tried Longbow or Archer and at that price i dont think i will. ... :lol:

hopefully out on the pigeons saturday, early start on some maze cover crop that they have just decided tastes nice,, :hunter: will let you now how things go.

ashley you are a true country gent my friend :fan: fair play mate to you on what you do and achieve through the year,

im very much like you, i work for an estate looking after most things from the rented houses to getting cars mot"ed and even airport runs now and again.but main thing is the shooting... we do 25 days simulated game days here and i host/coach these days and then they finish in july and the game season then starts for me as the 7 week old poults arrive and the fun starts again, but like you i think of myself to be very lucky as i do a job i love and put 110%

in as it is part of me, i love my shooting like yourself and have a small amount of weapons 22/250....10/22 ruger 22 .. and this ample for me on here.. but have a 17hmr on fac just waiting to find the right one for me. have many shot guns and also a winchester auto 9 shot !!! this is a great bit of kit for virmin/pigeon shooting and the main thing rat shooting at night,...i am lucky to have a keeper next door that i can call a good friend and we work together and shoot together alot..he does 75 days a year on average and this time of the year we go rat bashing at night and can shoot 250/300 cartridges in one night !!! its good sport ..

hope to see you again soon mate

Hi mark, yes mate it seems our life's are very similar, and you know as well as I do you only get out of it what you put in

I have my birds the first week in August at 12 weeks old and start shooting in November.

It's only small scale (1,500 ) birds and shoot 10 days. You probably know, to do it right it's nearly as much work as having 5,000

I'm at the pens for 5 in the morning, back for breakfast about 7, work all day ( sometimes popping back to check birds) home for 5 for tea, then out till dark again, sometimes lamping on the way home. This I do 7 days a week for about 8 weeks, then it's dogging in to keep them where they are supposed to be. I'm always pleased when we start shooting because then I can start to relax, and enjoy watching the guns enjoying themselves. It can be bloody hard going at times, but would I swap with anybody, No way.

Hope we can catch up and shoot together this year, I'm sure our mutual mate (shortlegs ) will sort something out,

All the best, Ashley

mark

Hi Ashley thanks for the mention I'm trying to talk Mark into coming our side of the river to either Nigels which I think he would enjoy or Longridge but he's not playing at the minute, but will try to talk him into it the weekend when I see him maybe when the weather is a bit better or we could all meet up at westfield for a shot and b.a.n.t.e.r . Hope you settling in with the new gun. 

oops sorry off topic a little  :laugh:

Yep we must have a shoot together and some fluffy rabbits, I will come over that bridge and see your lovely countryside too..and anyway welsh wizard get off here and get some sleep ready for some pigeon shooting saturday in the wiltshire countryside, and dont worry there will be some fluffy rabbits and full report of our day ..

Ashley, we only put down around 1800 pheasants and 600, partridges no sold days its all bosses friends in his syndicate and they are a good bunch, we do the same as you 10 days ..our first two days are boys/girls days so we get some young blood into our sport.

Mark

Latest posts

Back