Peter Wilson retires from competitive Olympic Trap

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retires from Olympic Trap? - Has he conquered that as well already? Or maybe that's next....

Yet, people do. That's what makes sporting, so Bad Ass! :)
Point I was trying to make is that being coached on a type of sporting target, to me at least... non sporting shooter, seems futile because you may never ever see that same target type again in a competition, you may see a similar target type I don't doubt that. Shooting trap however training can and does pay dividends because you will definitely see exactly the same targets again the regimen is that precise.

I noticed that too Jay. Typo presumably.

He effectively retired after the last Olympics to be honest. I'm a little disappointed he's chosen to quit, the sport needs the profile of a medal winner.

Guess the lure of coaching, together with Southern Counties SG's imminent closure has sealed the deal.

Point I was trying to make is that being coached on a type of sporting target, to me at least... non sporting shooter, seems futile because you may never ever see that same target type again in a competition, you may see a similar target type I don't doubt that. Shooting trap however training can and does pay dividends because you will definitely see exactly the same targets again the regimen is that precise.
The point is that when coached with sporting you don't so much get shown how to hit a target and concentrate on doing that like a photocopier. (Well.. Sometimes..). The basis of sporting is to learn how to READ a target and know how to prepare and set up for it. The taking of the shot is obviously a part, but the initial assessment is critical. That is also a big part of what make it so interesting.

:fie:  I've seen them come and I've seen them go! but I'm still here after 47 years and still taking the medicine! :crazy:  

Good for you guru and many more to come one hopes ;)

Well I have mixed feelings on it, which I'm not prepared to go into right now! I shall now get my coat.

The targets still vary a little with trap, wind and so on...obviously not in the same way...but you still learn how to hit the targets, even if they deviate a bit.

Same thing with sporting, but as Will said (can I call you Will, Will?), you learn how to read targets and build a catalogue of successful kills...which your brain uses to decide when to break the target.

Very few trap shooters stay at the top for long! I would dearly love to see George bash the Issf stuff! I'm sure he could do it and I wish he would!

Very few trap shooters stay at the top for long! I would dearly love to see George bash the Issf stuff! I'm sure he could do it and I wish he would!
Don't know about that Les MD has had a very good run and is still at the top and there are quite a few others AA and GP come to mind as well. The problem for MD now, and great shooters like him, is that they have changed the rules... it does not matter how good a conventional OT shooter you are you now have to be able to abandon all your good work from the first five rounds and enter into a one barrel circus act to win a medal.

EDIT

If they are going to have the single barrel circus at the end why not make the whole event single barrel and give the truly great first barrel shooters a real chance of glory in the final? I just don't get the single barrel finals thing at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck to the lad, he,s still young,  many a great sportsman have made comebacks

pete could easily do the same, wether at trap or sporting, its in is DNA

once a shooter always a shooter.

Retires from Olympic Trap? - Has he conquered that as well already? Or maybe that's next....
They have now edited it to Olympic Double Trap.

As for sporting being all different and not knowing what is coming......ha....you must be mistaking it with Helice.....that is the only discipline where you do not know where it is coming from or which direction it is going to... :laugh:

In sporting you get 4 or 5 pairs so you know exactly where it is going to and coming from....they even show you a pair....and all hell breaks loose if the target deviates from its flight line ....to the background wails of "no bird" :laugh:

I love the concept of reality in the minds of shooters....

P.s. Trap is the next hardest.....for unexpected targets....because you know the are 'sort of going away' but they are off at 75 distance and 45degree angles and all the combos in between ....not to mention differing heights.....and you do not know what is coming when..!

Bet sporters would be shouting no bird all day long :laugh:

I bet we see Peter on the Sporting and Fitasc Sporting soon, Not Compak because that's to hard. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one hit wonder not like George Digweed

Deershooter
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought we were talking about Pete retiring from Olympic Double Trap.For info....George did shoot DTR for a short time and had a some success on the circuit (I believe he was going to be coached by Coley with Faulds at one time...not sure if this happened) I do not think George went to an Olympics or hit a DTR World record like Pete...no doubt PhilR will know more if he is looking in.

I am sure that if George thought he would be competitive in that discipline then he would have stayed in it to add an Olympic Gold to his massive sporting achievements.

Up to now I think the records show that only Richard Faulds has managed to conquer Olympic and Sporting disciplines at the very top level. Hence being awarded an MBE.

It is fantastic to have 3 clay shooters with MBE's.

Maybe Pete might now come to sporting and succeed in these disciplines at world level. I certainly hope so. There is room for more than 2 at the top of the game.

Good luck Pete if you are going to do this.

Last edited:
Nic I think there's more than two at the top of their game.

See the 98's rolling in at Gunsite plenty in the 90's it was not an easy shoot.

I know we're talking world class on here these are world class.

I was simply talking history sweetie :wink:

Only 2 over the years have achieved multiple world and European titles and are more or less head to head in terms of past successes .

I know times are changing and there are many new kids on the block....but in reality ....these two are still at the top of their game....so any top shots now.....still need to climb over these two legends.

Fact.......just saying:wink:

Last edited:
Back