Perazzi MXS Thoughts, issues?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finners

Hi shooting guru's. Per my previous thread, I tried and didn't gel with the Blaser f3, I did try an f16 but that's another story, so I'll pass on that for now. 

I'm interested to learn the collective thoughts and views about the "baby" Perazzi MXS. Is it upto the name, any horror stories to share? 

As always the most helpful answer wins nothing but my undying love and adoration. 

A bit like comparing a Porsche 924 and a 911.  Personally i have never liked the big letters on the side of the older ones. Newer models are far better looking. But, as they say buy whatever floats your boat. 

Never picked up an MXS, but have fondled a few High Techs…..I would have a High Tech now if they had more cast but as standard they were too straight for me. It did however feel a lovely balanced gun to hold. 

Having said that I’m very happy with the new DT11 that I eventually settled on instead. 

A bit like comparing a Porsche 924 and a 911.  Personally i have never liked the big letters on the side of the older ones. Newer models are far better looking. But, as they say buy whatever floats your boat. 
Yes, your analogy makes sence. But at the price (used not new) I'd not want a "911" as it'd be pretty much knackered. As for looks, yes very subjective but I didn't know that there was a older and newer version of the MXS. I'll have to check that out 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, we did chat on here years ago about the MXS. Certainly I don’t recall any nasty stories about it not being a good gun to shoot. I knew one shooter who had one and he was happy enough. We did all wonder about the massive MXS logo on the action though. It was like wearing a dayglo T-shirt that said “I’ve bought the cheapest Perazzi possible”. So it’s nice if they don’t do that anymore.. 

Even if it did scream “penny wise” why would you really care? As long as you break at least one more clay than the guy with the hand built, fully engraved and top to bottom shiney London/Brescia whatsoever… Personally I kind of root for  the guy with the Jerry rigged gun he’s been shooting for thirty years. 

But that’s because I have serious condition wherein I trick myself into believing that gear is more important than practice. 

Hi shooting guru's. Per my previous thread, I tried and didn't gel with the Blaser f3, I did try an f16 but that's another story, so I'll pass on that for now. 

I'm interested to learn the collective thoughts and views about the "baby" Perazzi MXS. Is it upto the name, any horror stories to share? 

As always the most helpful answer wins nothing but my undying love and adoration. 
The MXS is a well made gun but lacks the typical Perazzi- features. Detachable triggers with leaf springs, Boss-Action and a custom fit stock.

For that the price of about 7k seems to be set a bit high. and I don´t like the look, but thats a matter of taste.

I would rather buy a Zoli Z-Gun for that money than an MXS.

We did all wonder about the massive MXS logo on the action though. It was like wearing a dayglo T-shirt that said “I’ve bought the cheapest Perazzi possible”. So it’s nice if they don’t do that anymore.. 
I used to dislike the large lettering, but as my eyesight deteriorates with age so I tend to appreciate large lettering 😉 

TBH, in terms of the cost and "image" I really don't care too much about that. It's how it shoots, if it's reliable and so on. 

Have given a few clients lessons with these none of them have kept them long. It’s a Volkswagen with a Ferrari name, hard to balance and don’t move like a regular perazzi. 

if perazzi is the choice save up for the mx2000
Interesting as it's based on the MX8, save for the Boss style action (which I assume would make no difference to the handling?) and non detachable trigger, which I'm not fussed about. 

As for the car analogy, I prefer to think of it as a Cayman v 911 and having owned one and driven both I prefer the Cayman. But, I get your point and certainly agree that the MX2000 is a better gun for sure.

Interesting what you say about people not keeping them, always a good indicator thanks for that 👍

The MXS is a well made gun but lacks the typical Perazzi- features. Detachable triggers with leaf springs, Boss-Action and a custom fit stock.

For that the price of about 7k seems to be set a bit high. and I don´t like the look, but thats a matter of taste.

I would rather buy a Zoli Z-Gun for that money than an MXS.
Thanks, I'm not overly fussed about the detachable triggers. The other features are nice to have, but at a cost of course. I didn't mention that I am looking at a used MXS, so at around half the cost of a new gun it's reasonble value I think. TBH, I'm not sure I'd pay £7k for one either, in fact no, I wouldn't. I'd consider paying that for a good used MX2000 though, but being left handed the choices are sparce without driving hundreds of miles. 

I used to dislike the large lettering, but as my eyesight deteriorates with age so I tend to appreciate large lettering 😉 

TBH, in terms of the cost and "image" I really don't care too much about that. It's how it shoots, if it's reliable and so on. 

Interesting as it's based on the MX8, save for the Boss style action (which I assume would make no difference to the handling?) and non detachable trigger, which I'm not fussed about. 

As for the car analogy, I prefer to think of it as a Cayman v 911 and having owned one and driven both I prefer the Cayman. But, I get your point and certainly agree that the MX2000 is a better gun for sure.

Interesting what you say about people not keeping them, always a good indicator thanks for that 👍

Thanks, I'm not overly fussed about the detachable triggers. The other features are nice to have, but at a cost of course. I didn't mention that I am looking at a used MXS, so at around half the cost of a new gun it's reasonble value I think. TBH, I'm not sure I'd pay £7k for one either, in fact no, I wouldn't. I'd consider paying that for a good used MX2000 though, but being left handed the choices are sparce without driving hundreds of miles. 
So a used MXS at about 4k but additional a LH-stock, right? Could be (for example) a new 694 with LH-Stock an alternative, or are you captivated by the "Perazzi"-Sign?

So a used MXS at about 4k but additional a LH-stock, right? Could be (for example) a new 694 with LH-Stock an alternative, or are you captivated by the "Perazzi"-Sign?
The price is less than £4k and is a L/H gun. I've also seen a 694 L/H at less than £3k and pratically new. I admit the "Perazzi" is a draw, but more to do with the shooting characteritics and build quality than "Look at me, I've got a P Gun" 

But, we stray from the question asked 😉 

The price is less than £4k and is a L/H gun. I've also seen a 694 L/H at less than £3k and pratically new. I admit the "Perazzi" is a draw, but more to do with the shooting characteritics and build quality than "Look at me, I've got a P Gun" 

But, we stray from the question asked 😉 
I think you have made your decision already 😉

Your not going to know until you buy and scratch that itch , everyone will tell you something different 

I have a F16 which I really like, my scores have improved, you had one and by the sounds didn't get on with it, as I said were all different 😄

Your not going to know until you buy and scratch that itch , everyone will tell you something different 

I have a F16 which I really like, my scores have improved, you had one and by the sounds didn't get on with it, as I said were all different 😄
Absolutely, my question was more about any known issues etc. In any event, I've had a decent go with one (MXS) and I didn't gel with it. In truth I found it very heavy, it tipped the scales at a healthy but suprising 8lb 10oz. Lovely gun otherwise, and it certainly moved quicker than you'd expect for such a porker. But, not for me. Shout out to Chris at Broadway Gun Room, nice bloke and a man of his word. 

The f16......mmmm. I did have one for a short while, 38 shots to be exact. That was when I noticed the cracked stock, the very slightest of cracks just behind the safety catch. This was a brand new, unfired gun and the crack most certainly wasn't there before I shot it. The dealer (who I won't name) has so far acted tolerably, but as you might imagine this dented my confidence in the product, so I decided to excercise my legal right (2015 Consumer Rights Act) to a full refund. 

Absolutely, my question was more about any known issues etc. In any event, I've had a decent go with one (MXS) and I didn't gel with it. In truth I found it very heavy, it tipped the scales at a healthy but suprising 8lb 10oz. Lovely gun otherwise, and it certainly moved quicker than you'd expect for such a porker. But, not for me. Shout out to Chris at Broadway Gun Room, nice bloke and a man of his word. 

The f16......mmmm. I did have one for a short while, 38 shots to be exact. That was when I noticed the cracked stock, the very slightest of cracks just behind the safety catch. This was a brand new, unfired gun and the crack most certainly wasn't there before I shot it. The dealer (who I won't name) has so far acted tolerably, but as you might imagine this dented my confidence in the product, so I decided to excercise my legal right (2015 Consumer Rights Act) to a full refund. 
Was the stock loose on the F16?

Sorry to hear about your f16 experience. I had a different albeit similarly disappointing brief affair with one as well. Bought new from a good dealer it was incredibly stiff to open….don’t worry it’ll loosen up they said. 200 shots later no different, but an 8 hour round trip to Mulliners (who were lovely and helpful people) cured it in 10 minutes with some adjustments. 

I really wanted to love the gun….I loved owning it, it had decent woodwork and I loved the engineered…..I just couldn’t shoot it for love nor money

Part exe’d it for a new DT11….I know it’s meant to be in a different league (and price bracket) but it really it and I couldn’t be happier, despite being poorer

The MXS has coil spring triggers and I have a feeling is actually based on the MX3 action - so completely different than MX8/MX12/MX2000/MX2000S/High Tech families today.

Perazzi are generally very reliable, they need servicing of course, but are properly engineered for the job they are intended for.  The tricky bit when buying a Perazzi used is that you have no way of knowing if it was an off-the-shelf or custom made for someone when new, I've had two custom made MX12  (MX12 is coil springs/selectable trigger) and neither had any documentation to say they were custom made for me.  One can select barrel length, bore diameter, fixed or multi-choke, trigger shape, rib design, between the barrels ribs, fore-end shape and personal preferences stock-shape and dimensions and many more options - the factory will do almost anything and most is included in the purchase price too.   I did try to get MX12 on both sides of the action though...Mauro Perazzi said 'no'.  

So when buying used you can pick two apparently similar models off the rack and they will feel completely different - because they are. So finding a gun that truly fits you is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except the MXS there are no new Perazzis to buy "of the shelf". 

No Hightechs or MXs to choose from at a Shop.

Latest posts

Back