Peltor or Howard Leight?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Hi, I am new to the sport as well as this forum and was looking for some advise on hearing protection. I'm just waiting for my licence, purchased a gun (held at the dealers) and have most of the gear I need but eye and ear protection is still outstanding. I had a lesson at the weekend and used the standard foam plugs, which were fine but the coach's voice was muffled alot. She showed me her Peltor Sportacs which were impressive but I've also heard good things about the Howard Leights which seem thinner (less chance to catch on the stock?) and they are of course a little cheaper - what are people's views on these.

Also when it comes to glasses I am a little confused with all the colours. I used Oakleys with special lenses for golf but wanted to understand what are the best colour(s) for shooting?

I have used Peltor slimline ears for more years than I can remember, I've had the current ones for about 15 years or so, they are very good indeed. As for glasses, the lenses come in various colours and the colour used will often be dictated by the colour of the clays you shoot at. I only shoot O/T and the clays are orange, so I always wear vermillion which is a sort of pinkish red colour. I have been using "High Scorer" glasses since Chris Potter first started to sell them I guess, God knows how long ago that was! Have a look at what the makers websites say, most recommend certain coloured lenses for certain coloured targets. Providing glasses and ears meet any current regulations/standards and most do, then it's simply a matter of person taste and comfort really. Have fun! :wink:

Thanks Les, i'll have a closer look at the Peltors and i'll have to try a few pairs of glasses and see what is best for the black clays that are used where I will be shooting.

If your oakleys have interchangeable lenses you may be able to just swap the lenses out. M-frame and radar frames have a shooting specific G26 lense.

Thanks Les, i'll have a closer look at the Peltors and i'll have to try a few pairs of glasses and see what is best for the black clays that are used where I will be shooting.
One thing to remember though! Some of the cheapo glasses can be of dubious quality, so make sure you get decent ones. I never shoot black clays so I can't help you on the colour, but your local gunshop should be able to advise you though. :)

has anybody tried the Oakley G26 lens ? I was looking at them the other day £80 for a len, reviews on the net dsont seem hugely positive ? Any thoughts from oakley users out there ?

thanks

It's a question of taste. I use custom fit plugs and Randolph Ranger frames and lenses. Excellent quality and back up with a straight, slim arm for blinkers.

thanks all the replies. I took delivery of the Howard Leights and am very impressed. I'm off to a store next week to try on some glasses. Beretta do a range of glasses that seem reasonably priced and have various colours. I've got some Oakleys with interchangeable lenses but I think they are too tricky to change on the range.

Latest posts

Back