PCP air rifle suggestions ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squimp

A mate needs a quiet air rifle for vermin control and he likes my .22 Air Arms 410.

he doesn’t like the price - a used one now appears to cost what I paid a few years back for a new one (circa £500).

there are lots of cheaper PCP guns on guntrader from manufacturers I have never heard of - are any of them any good and are they reliable ?

any pointers gratefully appreciated......

Bight the bullet air arms 400. Everything else is either cack or even more expensive. Could go break barrell save a fortune 👍

I have had both a PCP (Daystate) and an Air Arms springer. I have a collection of air bottles, all with some air in them but NONE currently in test. I therefore will be looking around £30 to test/refill each bottle. Although I can sell them out of test, they are not worth much and people want them in test before they purchase. The second option is a hand pump, but those that I know who have used them, have all returned to an air bottle. The hand pump, apart from being hard work, was not filtering the air sufficiently, causing the gun's seals to leak over time. I used the Air Arms under lever springer in .177 and shot an awful lot of vermin with it. It is a totally different method of shooting though, but not a problem after some practice. The secret being to allow the gun to 'recoil' rather than gripping it too hard in an effort to control that recoil. I could switch from gun to gun without a problem, as long as I remembered which gun I was using. A bit like switching between a 'Manual' or 'Auto' motor car. It did not take too much getting used to. After a house move to an area where half of the 10 Merseyside Police Force Firearms Officers would descend on me, should I fire the gun in my garden, I have sold the springer and kept my Daystate. I keep saying that I must take it out one of these days, but finding the time is difficult  now that I have retired  ?   I would opt for the springer and get used to shooting it, maybe put some of the money saved,  towards a 'tuning' of the gun, that should help to make it a smoother operator. The noise from a springer is not a great deal more than a PCP and certainly no louder than a shed door banging. See if you can try one of each, a lot of airgun shops have an indoor range for trying the gun. 

Bight the bullet air arms 400. Everything else is either cack or even more expensive. Could go break barrell save a fortune 👍
Never tried a bottle gun but I got a second hand Weihrauch HW95k with built in suppressor and scope for not a lot a few years ago from my local gun shop and it's so easy to shoot with... I'm seemingly much better with it than I am with a shotgun, but depends on what distances you're talking about. A few weeks ago I got a load of paintballs given to me and with .22 pellets I bullseyed 5 in a row at about 12-15 metres... not that far, but the target was is only 15mm wide.

Looked good splattering over the back wall! 😄

Thanks guys - interesting thoughts.

I also have an old Weihrauch break barrel gun that still shoots straight -  so the cheap and simple solution is to get him to use that !

Also just remembered that I have a Theoben Fenman (lovely, gas ram gun) at my mum's house that I use for squirrel control. I might claim that back...... 

Yup, mine was off on the scope so I took my time, neched it and got the measurements right. Probably about 10-15 minutes of tinkering and it's as straight as an arrow now, exactly where the scope shows it to be.

quality pcp all day long over a springer if funds allow, plenty of second hand about but price varies greatly so worth watching for a while. HW100 for me, only downside other than price its pretty heavy but very accurate and quiet, not had any experience with the cheaper options but look second hand at one of the established, i never mastered a springer for consistancy over many years, pcp pellet on pellet within 30 mins

What kind of vermin is he trying to control? How much power does he need?

For small stuff, rats, starlings, etc., an older Weihrauch (Beeman here in the 'states. The Beeman guns are improved a bit over Euro market guns) or Diana springer will do nicely. For bigger critters, I have an Evanix Rex in .357 cal. Performance approaches that of .380 ACP. However, it is fairly loud unsuppressed. I got it used a few months ago, and so far it has been solid. Trigger could be better. A guy gets a little spoiled with the Rekord triggers in the Beeman guns and TO1 triggers in the Diana guns.

For the money Air Arms are hard to beat! If money is not a problem Daystate is the way to go

BSA ultra is a good option, I have one in .22, cost £250 but then I had it tuned so its perfect now, good ones can be got for £300, also have a BSA R10 Mk11 black pepper in .177 that was £350 not had it out for a couple of months, but again pellet on pellet, when they are good they are very good, as in everything, test shoot before you purchase

look on the aigunforum for lots of info

Last edited by a moderator:
Back