Overhaul of Licencing Conditions?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Lawrence

Been hearing on the News programmes this morning that we (as Shooters and licence holders) should be subject to tougher criteria when applying for a licence. Apparently we are not psychologically tested or monitored enough and that is why there are so many "Gun Massacres" (their words, not mine) in the UK.

Not heard of any response from the Governing Bodies or interested parties, although I'm sure some of them have some plan in action and intend to respond.

Found this article and it makes interesting reading.   https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com/2015/07/21/law-commission-recommends-total-overhaul-of-firearms-laws/

Only the other day there was some proposal that licences should run for 10 years not 5. Guessing this might be a difficult one to justify now?

The main problem as i see it is that each force interprets the 'guidelines' differently. There are no proper laws governing how it should be done.

We have enough in place at the moment, BUT and it is a big BUT, some of the past instances may have been avoided if the proper checks had been followed up or information was better used between the relevant groups involved.

Some forces are snowed under with applications (this includes fac) while others do it rather promptly. Mostly due to how they are funded and the number of staff used.

Whatever they do it will not make one iota of difference to criminals - it only chastises the law abiding shooters as it did before.

You can easily kill someone without the use of a gun - Its just seen as an easy target for some jobsworths.

Let us be honest, gun crime using illegally held firearms has escalated and cash and resource strapped Chief Constables are unable to stop it. It is therefore easier to demonize the legal gun user than to attempt to chase shadows looking for the illegal weapons. Even when illegal weapons are recovered, the culprit will receive a meagre sentence, of which they will serve less than half, to once again be released back onto the streets to continue their drugs related activities, which, if truth be known, they have been running from inside prison anyway. The last figures that I read disclosed that less than 0.02% of legally held firearms, ended up in the hands of criminals. I would like to see the annual figures for shootings in relation to stabbings in England and Wales, just to put this whole debacle into some perspective. It must be remembered that even a kid in the park with a BB gun, is still recorded as 'Gun Crime' !  

this link is relevant too, it may be 18 months old,, but, it is the ultimate aim (pun intended!) of the UN and most world governments.

http://conservative-headlines.com/2014/11/un-122-nation-gun-ban-including-the-usa-effective-this-christmas/
Basically those that are in power are sh*te scared of an uprising of the people. This has been going on since the turn of the last century.

In years gone by it was your right to bare arms and be proficient in using them. I believe it was after Cromwell that things started to change.

The common pleb is being denied all his rights one by one.

Quote: Ms McCarthy, who is patron of the Vegan society which believes “animal farming is no longer sustainable and severely damaging to the environment” and is “against all shooting sports” intends to re-engage the Labour party with the rural community.”

The Labour party is going to get on very well with the "rural community" and farmers, then, when they tell them to get rid of all their animal stocks. The Labour party is liable to get well and truly re-engaged with their backsides as they make a rapid exit. Idiots, the lot of 'em. :rolleyes:

I am up for renewal, I downloaded the Form (10 freaking pages) they want to know all convictions including motoring offences, mental health, whether I am English, ethnic groups

Asian, Afro Caribbean, Gypsy etc., etc. How many times I've changed my name?  I freaking despair. Probably the last renewal at 74?

Why concern yourselves with Corbyn and his mob? He has no chance of being elected as PM, so whatever he and his pals think and say is irrelevant.

Having just jumped through several hoops and have dealt with the incredibly slow processing, tedious, jobsworth and what makes you feel anti-gun licencing department to renew my shotgun certificate I despair sometimes with increased checks, and restrictions.

I totally agree that the Home Office "guidance" should be completely black and white, especially to prevent certain forces making up their own version of it. e.g. "safe storage to prevent non licence holders gaining access" - try being warned not to store your guns where they've been stored for 25 years and give no reason whatsoever for it.

We have some of the tightest gun laws for legally held weapons in the world...it will never stop one person losing the plot and using one in despair or anger. However currently it is good enough to weed out the loonies who should't have one if people did their jobs correctly in the first place.

Therein lies the problem, " If people did their jobs properly" .

Thomas Hamilton friend of the Chief Constable, Mason, had his licence revoked , then re-issued.

Most murders with legally held firearms are normally committed by people with a known mental illness or anger management history.

Two of the Forces shouting out the loudest are West Mercia and Warwickshire, recently amalgamated , recently involved in staff cuts and having to make savings (like most /all forces?) . Yesterday on Midlands News, West Mercia and Warwickshire admitted they didn't know who should have licences and whose had been revoked due to 'errors' in administration. Are these 'errors' the fault of the licence applicants? 

Sadly the administration of procedures and law enforcement are now bordering on being shambolic. 

One question I would like to ask .

" If the administration of the issuing of licences was efficient with personal interviews and home visits without the use of computer and data base technology , how come it is now costing more to administer with the use of data base and computer technology ?"

I know I have said this on here before but will repeat. I arrived in France with a game gun I had in the UK and a .22 rifle and the idea of shooting at the local trap club. I went and joined the club, I got my FFBT card and then went out bought my first shotgun in France ! I have never seen the police and I only need my doctor to sign my FBBT card every time it is renewed at the start of the year... the first time he signed it he did not even know me I had only just registered with him. I am not saying this is right maybe there should be a bit of middle ground but it does seem very easy to get a shotgun in France, I believe rifles are more problematic... and you can still own hand guns. 

Has anyone heard any responses from our Governing Bodies/Shooting Associations? You know, the ones we pay our money to so that they can counter reports like this with their uber-efficient media departments.

I haven't heard a thing on TV or Radio. There may well be some statement on these associations websites, but there really is no point preaching to the converted over a matter like this. The general public now has in it's minds eye that gun owners are a bunch of homicidal maniacs, and that's not something I'm too happy about.

I'll broach the subject with the CPSA this weekend at Midland Game Fair, would be nice to know their stance on it.

Has anyone heard any responses from our Governing Bodies/Shooting Associations? You know, the ones we pay our money to so that they can counter reports like this with their uber-efficient media departments.

I haven't heard a thing on TV or Radio. There may well be some statement on these associations websites, but there really is no point preaching to the converted over a matter like this. The general public now has in it's minds eye that gun owners are a bunch of homicidal maniacs, and that's not something I'm too happy about.
The general public either knows nothing about shooting and/or doesn't want to know, or as you say, they think we are all a bunch of would be "Rambo's" !!  Our governing bodies should be promoting/marketing the sport to the general public, they should also look after our interests as gun owners when it comes anything that could reduce or interfere with our right to own guns.

To give some idea of how our representative bodies do not do joined up writing.

BASC are proposing a ten year licence! Great you all think??????

So I am send of mind and body on my initial application ??? What about the following nine years 364 days????

My licence will possibly cost £100 to £200 because Plod thinks that's fair and reasonable.

Ten years later due to inflation and wastage by Plod he now wants £400, me as a 80 year old pensioner now says stuff it my pension will not run to that expense. So I sell my guns . "Yippee" says Plod and so the drip, drip erosion of rights goes on.

There is very little wrong with the current system if Plod gets off his rear and does the jobs he should be doing, like fighting crime.

Burglary in Wensleydale , expected time of arrival by Plod ? At least 40 minutes.

Too much resource is being wasted on cyber crime and things like Operation Yewtree where they are carrying out witch hunts to try and get some convictions as they let Jimmy Saville get away with it.  Interesting interview with Paul Gambachini today who endured over a year of investigations and being bailed and re-bailed only to be told that there was insufficient evidence to proceed against him and the people complaining get away scot free maintaining their confidentiality.  According to PG the director of public prosecutions is a consummate liar.

New Police funding formula also going to be a problem.  It takes no account of things like tourism in the largest force area in the county of Devon.  Our county stands to lose over £20m of funding.  Respect for the Police and the Law is being lost.  Senior civilian support staff being allocated fast patrol cars to avoid tax on benefits in kind in other areas - disgraceful.  Too many civil servants in authority of one sort or another think that they can abuse the public trust and exploit taxpayers money!  Bloody MP's set the bad example and trend in the first place!

Rant over! 

Back