Over 10% no birds today!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L

So took the missus shooting today at Southdown, shot 200 clays and had 22 breakages/no birds!!!, usually doesn't annoy me as much but today it really pissed me off!!, I had a word with the guys in charge and it seems it's the new type of clay they have bought in?, they are not happy either.

what is an acceptable % of no birds usually in competition?

regards

mike

Traps not adjusted to suit the thickness of the new clay unless the clays are absolute pants. 

My son shoot there once this year as part of county comp. I would say on the day that 30% of the stands were not working at any one time, leading to loads of walking backwards and forwards to find a stand that was working. Pity really as looks like a nice ground...perhaps too many traps for too few staff?

My son shoot there once this year as part of county comp. I would say on the day that 30% of the stands were not working at any one time, leading to loads of walking backwards and forwards to find a stand that was working. Pity really as looks like a nice ground...perhaps too many traps for too few staff?
Or maybe a general lack of maintenance between shoots. Traps get VERY dirty in use, including shavings and bits of broken clay in the mechanism, all of which can lead to breakages. Wait until the colder weather comes along and batteries start dying after around 1 hours use. Been there, done that and never again, thank you very much !

Last edited by a moderator:
If Dulux supplied me with a bad batch of paint, I wouldn't still be using it weeks later!

Return them or find another brand................clays, cartridges and paint are all very good nowadays but I would still avoid the 'value' range.

I shall be giving Southdown another chance on the 22nd. More than 5% and I shall be travelling a little 'further afield'.

*further afield* Please DO NOT bingle :kiss:

I just hope that now they know what the problem is, they fix it as quickly as possible.  

I'll be there on the 22nd to, but make more of a day of it.  Get there for 900 to shoot the sporting at 930 and book a sportrap slot for 12.30 or 1.  Means I can have a bit of a break in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traps are pretty much bomb proof to be honest !!! However clays ain't and if the get juggled around slightly in transport or even banging slightly when trap filling hair line cracks can appear and cause hassle !!! Generally speaking we work on 2 percent no birds but things can go wrong such as a broken clay can bend a seperator knife slightly , bend an arm slightly and in the heat of a comp can easily be missed .battery power is crucial especially with remote controls used rather than cables , I now throw all my batteries out when they are 18 mths old and start again , yes you still get the odd one that creeps through the charging cycle without being full .

remember machinery never breaks down until it is being used , and any mechanical thing will break eventually so it's how you approach the problem when it's occurred is the key , I personally tend to keep a spare trap handy as this is normally the quickest way to resolve the problem and carry on .

It's not known as breakdown for no reason! Never been there and not had lots of no birds, they have 1 trap that always does it and they always use it and have never fixed it

Not the only ground to be complaining about the new clays that are coming through. Let's be honest some companies do try and get production costs in this day and age. Hopefully they realise they may have made a mistake somewhere down the line possibly 

Ive done 21 shoots at Southdown since last November, mostly ESP but also Sportrap and Fitasc.  Yes there have been no birds but I am trying to recall a shoot where it was so bad  it would have frustrated me.

Just slightly changing the subject...the best ground for the lack of no birds must be Kelbrook just 3 no birds after 300 clays shot.

Just slightly changing the subject...the best ground for the lack of no birds must be Kelbrook just 3 no birds after 300 clays shot.
Was that a competition or a pay & play practise  ??

Most registered 100 ESP comps will throw 15/20, 000 clays.......... so less than 1% is the overall required target !!

Obviously the more traps & stands used will expand on this

Latest posts

Back