OT technique

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The following year half the guns have been using 24gm, half the guns have been using 28gm. Then they classify them again. :mellow:

so i could be in any class based on random averages until then? bugger....
So shoot the target-only option until the end of April and you will have a class from 1st June

Don't think the weather tomorrow is going to help the outcome. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
So shoot the target-only option until the end of April and you will have a class from 1st June

Don't think the weather tomorrow is going to help the outcome. ^_^
., agreed!

ah well, gotta learn sometime! if i hit 80/100 i'll be very chuffed!

With gusting rain to 45mph I'd be well impressed. :(

With gusting rain to 45mph I'd be well impressed. :(
good point. well, can only do what i can do so looking forward to it. if its that bad in the am i'll stay in bed!

40UP - do you do the welsh OT shoots?

The drive down to Griffin Lloyd on a summer's morning is great, the welsh boys are as friendly as they come and it's the only place with 5 competition rounds in a day. The welsh selections often clash with english ones but if you have a welsh grandfather it's the way to go. Answer: Yes but only once or twice a year.

This is the Welsh International shoots http://wctsa.co.uk/page/fixtures.aspx

crokey, lots of folkes did actually shoot i those conditions!

http://www.griffinlloyd.co.uk/results/OT%2029%20April%2012%20100[1].pdf

They're regular trap shooters so they've already had the sense knocked out of them.

They're regular trap shooters so they've already had the sense knocked out of them.
excuse my ignorance but looking at how fast the spanish shoot this discipline has led me to wonder if they know what the targets are... i understand that in any round each competitor will get the same targets (on the same pegs?) of 10 left, 10 right and 5 straight birds (varying for angle).

I guess my question is: is it just a matter of remembering the birds the guy after yu gets as yours will be the same birds, in the same order? or is that just too simple and obvious?

Look you are not going to learn a lot by sitting on a keyboard.

Put your hand in your pocket and get out and shoot.

Read the rules and watch and observe.

NO, the targets are random but every competitor will get the same target in a random sequence.

Look you are not going to learn a lot by sitting on a keyboard.

Put your hand in your pocket and get out and shoot.

Read the rules and watch and observe.

NO, the targets are random but every competitor will get the same target in a random sequence.
i agree and hence have been out everyday this week. This is just another part of due diligence and learning.

just found this which might be useful to others http://www.bunkershooting.com/tyro.html

excuse my ignorance but looking at how fast the spanish shoot this discipline has led me to wonder if they know what the targets are... i understand that in any round each competitor will get the same targets (on the same pegs?) of 10 left, 10 right and 5 straight birds (varying for angle).

I guess my question is: is it just a matter of remembering the birds the guy after yu gets as yours will be the same birds, in the same order? or is that just too simple and obvious?
Hi Stu,

They are completely random on each peg but by the end of the game everyone has had the same targets.

Last edited:
Hi Stu,

They are completely random on each peg but by the end of the game everyone has had the same targets.
great and thank you. same targets for the same layout and therefore over the full 100..?

also found this for those like me looking for data (version 3 is better) http://www.deadtargetschool.com/ATAIntlTrapPart2.pdf

here's a question for the experienced OT shooters....

I have just been doing some reading about visual acuity and perpherial vision (Lamero Renato) suggesting that the subconscious 'sees' the target a fraction before the conscious. That this can lead to pre-emptive movement and that we should wait until we have visual acuity on the target which results in a more likely kill (less reactionary/frenzy shooting according to Renato). So do you physically try to remain as still as possible until you have seen the flash and then the eyes have locked on with visual acuity or do you move with the intial flash....? He suggests that only DT shooters should move with the perpherial flash but looking at the speed some OT shooters shoot they must have awesome vision...!

(dont worry salopian, i'm getting plenty of practice and reading too!`)

hi newbie, in olympic skeet you have to watch the target and wait for it to arrive at the correct spot to move the gun. Jumping/anticipating the target always seems result in a miss. In my experience of OT i've found the biggest cause of missing is moving the gun before i've really properly seen the target, i almost have to slow down to shoot the target well. which concurs with what you have read (i'd be interested to read that piece if its on the net ?). It could just be me though as all things are perceived differently, to me in skeet and dt I miss more by rushing rather than waiting.

I hit my best score at OT by waiting for the flash, then moving. Until it was pointed out to me, I was moving as I called for the target!

At southern counties the electronic scoreboard records the time from the release of the trap to the sound of the shot. This shows a normal time of 0.5 - 0.7 of a second. It would be great to achieve visual lock on the target in that time and focus on the front edge but it is more likely that the subconcious takes over the process and executes the action. My favourite tape of Kostelecky shows an inhuman reaction time. Quiet Eye for trap shooters is taken to be the dwell on the hold point before calling not target lock.

I did ask him about high gun hold - he said the left eye follows the target and the right eye guides the gun. I looked to see if his eyes swiveled independantly.

Back