OT question

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sian

Could someone please answer the following:

Is there a time limit that a shooter has to shoot the target in OT? Thanks in advance I just can't find the answer.

12s from the person on the left shooting to calling pull. If you mean once the target has been called for you have as long as you want until it hits the ground. In a very stong headwind you could wait until it's nearer or take it as a driven. Mind you you'd probably blow the roof off the layout and lose friends,

Thank you it is the time after the person on the left has shot - just couldn't find it.

Hi Sian,

It is after the shooter to the left has opened their gun. This allows for protests and malfunctions to be considered by the referee. This time may also change with less than 6 shooters in the squad.

Section out of ISSF rule book

9.7.3 Preparation Time Limit

a) An athlete must take his/her position, close the gun and call for the target within twelve (12) seconds after the previous athlete has fired at a regular target and has opened the gun and the result is registered, or after the Referee has given the command "START";

Hi Sian,

It is after the shooter to the left has opened their gun. This allows for protests and malfunctions to be considered by the referee. This time may also change with less than 6 shooters in the squad.

Section out of ISSF rule book

9.7.3 Preparation Time Limit

a) An athlete must take his/her position, close the gun and call for the target within twelve (12) seconds after the previous athlete has fired at a regular target and has opened the gun and the result is registered, or after the Referee has given the command "START";
Thank you for that.

Interesting thanks presumably if you get a no bird or similar the clock restarts and you get another 12s.

12 seconds is more than enough time to take your go, but there's still one or two who like to take longer ! When reffing in comps I time each turn, to ensure that the 12 second rule is adhered to.

Squad rhythm is quite important in Trap, we all shoot so much better when we're on a squad with consistent Trap shooters who don't rush it or take too long, and take the same amount of time every time. It's hard work when your stuck on a squad with someone who, if they could go any slower, would be going backwards !

12 seconds is more than enough time to take your go, but there's still one or two who like to take longer ! When reffing in comps I time each turn, to ensure that the 12 second rule is adhered to.

Squad rhythm is quite important in Trap, we all shoot so much better when we're on a squad with consistent Trap shooters who don't rush it or take too long, and take the same amount of time every time. It's hard work when your stuck on a squad with someone who, if they could go any slower, would be going backwards !
For some it is tactical, upset the rhythm of other competitors......

Nice to know that the 2015 competition year has started off with respect for shooters who shoot other disciplines than you own.......and that we are all tolerant with each persons set up routine....which by definition will be individual to each person.

As Jay has said 10 seconds is what the book says. There is no prizes for earlier.....only problems if you are later.

As for the comment about 'tactics'......can i suggest that you concentrate on your own timing and not worry about what others are doing......it means that you are 'NOT FOCUSED'. :laugh:

(Ninja mode....Personally I do not give a sh*t if someone next to me does not like my speed of taking the shot.....I pay my money...I shoot how I want in the given time. I may be quick ...I may be slow...depends on how i am feeling and / or ....what i may have been doing the night before.....true story)

:laugh:

Hope that helps.

For some it is tactical, upset the rhythm of other competitors......
Are you speaking from experience as a regular OT shooter...... or just sticking your two pence worth in, when you know little or nothing about the matter?

Are you speaking from experience as a regular OT shooter...... or just sticking your two pence worth in, when you know little or nothing about the matter?
NOT a regular OT Shooter, but regular trap shooter, who knows a few OT shooters... ;) AS tinker said everybody gets  12 seconds up to them how they use them......

NOT a regular OT Shooter, but regular trap shooter, who knows a few OT shooters... ;) AS tinker said everybody gets 12 seconds up to them how they use them......
Highly unlikely you know as many OT shooters as I do. Where do you regularly shoot trap and what discipline and are they registered competitions. There are very, very few OT shooters or any trap shooters come to that who'd deliberately mess about with timing to upset the rhythm of another shooter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to know that the 2015 competition year has started off with respect for shooters who shoot other disciplines than you own.......and that we are all tolerant with each persons set up routine....which by definition will be individual to each person.

As Jay has said 10 seconds is what the book says. There is no prizes for earlier.....only problems if you are later.

As for the comment about 'tactics'......can i suggest that you concentrate on your own timing and not worry about what others are doing......it means that you are 'NOT FOCUSED'. :laugh:

(Ninja mode....Personally I do not give a sh*t if someone next to me does not like my speed of taking the shot.....I pay my money...I shoot how I want in the given time. I may be quick ...I may be slow...depends on how i am feeling and / or ....what i may have been doing the night before.....true story)

:laugh:

Hope that helps.
Nic I spent the afternoon at A1 on Saturday and spent my time doing OT. Once I remembered you are supposed to put your gun out in front of you and not the middle peg white line, I started to hit some

There are very, very few OT shooters or any trap shooters come to that who'd deliberately mess about with timing to upset the rhythm of another shooter.
I quite agree.

Nic I spent the afternoon at A1 on Saturday and spent my time doing OT. Once I remembered you are supposed to put your gun out in front of you and not the middle peg white line, I started to hit some
Brilliant Sian.....that is a properly set up OT layout with international targets . Well done.

Brilliant Sian.....that is a properly set up OT layout with international targets . Well done.
I shot with Claudio amongst others. It frustrated me at first but started to enjoy it after the third time.

Highly unlikely you know as many OT shooters as I do. Where do you regularly shoot trap and what discipline and are they registered competitions. There are very, very few OT shooters or any trap shooters come to that who'd deliberately mess about with timing to upset the rhythm of another shooter.
I agree here everyone knows that to do that would only adversely affect their own game.

Latest posts

Back