New to shooting - Hi!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4ndy

Hi Everyone, 

Thought I'd quickly introduce myself, as I'm completely new to shooting and the forum. 

Probably not an unusual story, I've done the ubiquitous have-a-go type sessions at county fairs and a session at Catton Hall for my stag do, and thoroughly enjoyed both so thought I'd try and see how I could get into shooting properly.  I used to shoot at Master Bowman standard Olympic Recurve during my teens and early twenties, but life and career got in the way and I haven't shot since. 

I've booked an introduction/lesson/safety briefing at the "North Wales Shooting School" for the beginning of December (I live near Chester), but otherwise I'm fairly clueless. 

Any suggestions for a newbie in the Chester area?  

Look forward to learning more and maybe meeting you all at future events,

Andy. 

welcome aboard. Nwss is your obvious choice but you also have fauxdegla and catton hall close by to name but two. Depends on your preferred discipline of course.

Thank you ips - I like the idea of sporting, but I haven't tried enough to know for sure.  Good to know some other places for variety though. 

I'm slowly working my way through the forum reading, reading and reading some more!  Good to see shooting is no different than any other past-time, everyone has contrasting opinions and reasoning - enjoying the variety of it all! 

Thanks again,

Andy. 

andy

best thing is to try everything then decide which you prefer OR shoot a bit of everything and enjoy.

ian

Can also recommend Mickley Hall  near Nantwich. I was in similar position to you - new to shooting etc - and booked an hour lesson with Scott there. Gun hire, clays, carts etc all included and Scott's a friendly guy and a great introduction to the sport. They have Trap and Sporting layouts there & all stands are under cover in case it's raining. I've since done aboiut 10 lessons and just got my cert and have joined there as a member.

Highly recommended http://mickleyhall.com/

Thank you Ian and Mickster both - nice to find such a friendly community and will certainly try everything and look at Mickley also.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

andy

when you are ready to buy a gun I recommend that you see Stewart the gunsmith at nwss he is in the little workshop to your right as you drive in, he will sort you out he has an alladins cave of guns.

andy

when you are ready to buy a gun I recommend that you see Stewart the gunsmith at nwss he is in the little workshop to your right as you drive in, he will sort you out he has an alladins cave of guns.
Thanks Ian - I'd almost convinced myself this could be a relatively inexpensive past time - silly boy! 

oh no my friend BUT like all things in life it costs as much or as little as you want to spend......apart from divorce which costs EVERYTHING YOU HAVE AND THEN SUM. ?

Just back from an hours lesson with John at NWSS and I enjoyed it thoroughly! 

Variety of targets and hit rate was 50ish percent although I couldn't nail the going away target.

On rapport and two at once (please excuse the terminology mullering) targets were great fun too - although I need to get out of the pause before shot habbit I have from archery.  

Bought a 3 lesson pack, looking forward to booking lesson 2 and getting the safety course certificate that they do to help with my license application.

I likes this I does :-D 

Just back from an hours lesson with John at NWSS and I enjoyed it thoroughly! 

Variety of targets and hit rate was 50ish percent although I couldn't nail the going away target.

On rapport and two at once (please excuse the terminology mullering) targets were great fun too - although I need to get out of the pause before shot habbit I have from archery.  

Bought a 3 lesson pack, looking forward to booking lesson 2 and getting the safety course certificate that they do to help with my license application.

I likes this I does :-D 
Good stuff that you enjoyed it. As far as I'm aware, you don't need to do a safety course to help with applications. Your coach/instructor should be making sure you are safe and when you see the FEO you can just mention you've had some lessons and that will be enough for them to be happy you are safe (although having lessons prior to application isn't a requirement for SGC). 

Good stuff that you enjoyed it. As far as I'm aware, you don't need to do a safety course to help with applications. Your coach/instructor should be making sure you are safe and when you see the FEO you can just mention you've had some lessons and that will be enough for them to be happy you are safe (although having lessons prior to application isn't a requirement for SGC). 
Hi Nick, you're absolutely correct, it's just the name that NWSS give to their lesson, not a requirement but it is liked by the Cheshire FEO.  

NWSS do insist on it if you're a non-license holder before you shoot on their grounds (other than the training area) along with being accompanied.  

Looking forward to part 2! 

Hi Nick, you're absolutely correct, it's just the name that NWSS give to their lesson, not a requirement but it is liked by the Cheshire FEO.  

NWSS do insist on it if you're a non-license holder before you shoot on their grounds (other than the training area) along with being accompanied.  

Looking forward to part 2! 
good luck and continue to enjoy.

Back