New Pilla lens sets for black clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed, I have a question, for an average shooter (say on the fringes of 'a' at local club shoot for sake of argument) with no eyesight impediments, how many clays ex 100 do you think the 'correct' lens colour would gain that shooter versus clear lenses or indeed the completely 'wrong' lens colour in an average day at an average competition? It would be interesting to see your rough guess as to best and least improvements. Thanks.
That IS an interesting question, personally I figure on losing 2-3 birds on a round where I have to wear glasses, in other words any gain via better target enhancements are all but voided due to the painintheass factor.

The only time this would not apply is very strong sunlight where an appropriately dark lens coupled to a correctly worn cap and adaptive stance can only help. 

Last edited by a moderator:
my sentiments exactly Hamid.

I remain convinced that i shot better in the olden days without glasses and not just because I was younger

No it wouldn't. There are some specific "orange enhancers" that CAN help SOME people pick up the blaze clays better. This is not one of those!
Oh  I was just hypothesising that maybe if they looked black I might see them better. 

ps

Hamid, I wonder how many folk who have taken up shooting in the last twenty years have ever enjoyed the beauty of shooting with the naked unhindered eye ??

Oh  I was just hypothesising that maybe if they looked black I might see them better. 
hy

hyper

hypothe

hyperdoodah

hyperpothesinging

oh bother I give up

Good question! I would say having completely the "wrong" lens colour will have a greater negative effect on the scores then the "correct" colour will have a positive effect, for instance wearing a full-sun lens for shooting in a wood in the winter will cause more lost targets than a fine tuned low light lens would gain compared to clear.

Ed, I have a question, for an average shooter (say on the fringes of 'a' at local club shoot for sake of argument) with no eyesight impediments, how many clays ex 100 do you think the 'correct' lens colour would gain that shooter versus clear lenses or indeed the completely 'wrong' lens colour in an average day at an average competition? It would be interesting to see your rough guess as to best and least improvements. Thanks.

Good question! I would say having completely the "wrong" lens colour will have a greater negative effect on the scores then the "correct" colour will have a positive effect, for instance wearing a full-sun lens for shooting in a wood in the winter will cause more lost targets than a fine tuned low light lens would gain compared to clear.
OK, i understand so compared to a clear lens say, on a average round for the mythical person referred to, taking into account varying backgrounds, colour clays and the possibility of sun, what do you thin would be a good guess? 10% improvement? 2%?..

leading question pp
In a way, yes, but also its really difficult to understand how much 'better' the correct glasses could make someone, there isn't a reference point.  If take would take me on an average day from 86.5 (January Average) average to a high of say 94 and a consistent average of 92 then i would snatch someones arm off, if it would take me to 88 average then i would just spend the money on coaching or wine (probably wine)

You answered your own question there - there isnt a reference point.

But, purely as a best guess, i'd say no more than 2 to 5%. on the understanding this is the "perfect-eyed" person of which you speak.

I would say spend the money on a top class coach - £150 spent with someone like Ed Solomons will give the shooter far greater improvement than £150 on a new lens, and this is from someone that is in the eywear trade!

However, if there are any visual defects, its a whole new game. Correcting these can lead to MASSIVE improvements :D

However, if there are any visual defects, its a whole new game. Correcting these can lead to MASSIVE improvements :D
Absolutely, i can imagine, if you aren't looking where you think you are then you have kind of had it!  i must try to call in to see you later in the year, I'm not sure my astigmatism helps me (albeit in my non dominant eye)...

Thanks Ed, this is really helpful advice of the relative difference of lens shade, its too tricky for a non professional to gauge.

I cannot thank ED enough for his expertise, I still marvel at my quality of vision after having shooting glasses from him, now I can see the clays, hitting them is another matter.

Interesting thread this.

People have different reasons for wearing shooting glasses for some the primary reason is safety for me after that it is to correct my eye dominance problems. But I have also found that depending on the light conditions and the backdrop to the fosse I can also gain an advantage in seeing the target. I always think that to break the target you have to see it first and the earlier you see it the better chance you have of breaking it. I have found that if you can remove the conflicts between the colour of the back ground and the colour of the target you can identify the target a bit earlier. I for example find that on a green background orange stands out much more if I am wearing my purple lenses even if the target then goes into the blue of the sky. I have seen the target and locked on visually to it. I would have thought that someone who is colour blind could gain a great advantage choosing the correct colour of lens?

I bloody wish my customers realised that one gearbox was not enough and that they needed a set of gearboxes in an array of colours. Once my turnover had increased 10 fold, I could then add another colour to make it 11 fold. 

FFS..
it would be a bit like selling someone a gearbox. Then telling them they need different ratio's for different tracks.

Be careful the cpsa could be reading this. 

1 lense  for AA

2            for A

3       for B 

And a full set for C class.
Don't have to legislate. This is what happens. My accessory purchasing in my first year of shooting outweighed the following 9 years. 

Be careful the cpsa could be reading this. 

1 lense  for AA

2            for A

3       for B 

And a full set for C class.
Yes but what they will do is make different levels of opacity for the different classes... AAA 90% of light is blocked AA 80% etc.

Latest posts

Back