Morning all from South Yorkshire...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplite

Hello one and all...

I'm just starting out in clay pigeon shooting so I thought I'd sign up here and pick a few brains along the way! I've had a couple of lessons so far and really enjoyed them - I've also being doing lots of research into the inevitable 'what gun' eternal question. (I'm liking the Browning 525, and it seems to 'fit').

My application for a SGC is in with SYP. From what I've read, turn around times seem to vary enormously from force to force, so I don't know if anyone has had any recent experience with SYP? I realise these things take time though...

Could anyone recommend any friendly, non-scary for a novice, clay grounds in the Sheffield/Rotherham/Chesterfield kind of area?

Thanks!

Hoplite...

Hello Hoplite.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. Had a few lessons and applied for my licence straight away. I too have been doing endless research in to the question of what gun to buy! I'm currently leaning towards a Beretta 690 Black Edition or a standard 692. 

I'm with West Mercia and the wait time for me when I applied was 90 days but their website now says 6 months :angry: . You've probably read this, but from the south Yorkshire website: " The application for a grant of a Shotgun or Firearms Certificate will take approximately ten weeks from receipt of a correctly completed application."

Hi Worcestershire

Thanks for your reply and the link from the SYP website - musta missed that somehow!

10 weeks (if they're accurate) is a lot more palatable than the 6 months you're looking at. SY have cashed the cheque and sent me the form for 'date availability', which I sent back a couple of weeks ago. All being well, I'm just waiting for a call for them to come and see me. The cabinet is installed ready for inspection.

The Berettas look pretty good! I quite fancied one, but it's just for me that the drop on the stock of the Browning suits me better.

Good luck with your application!

Hoplite

Hi hoplite also from south yorkshire park lodge is a good practice ground at selby also theres whitewater shooting on the A1 bawtry turn off both freindley places 

We live in the west, Within reach for you in no particular order

Whitewater @Blythe

Park lodge@Snaith

Pinewood

Worsley

High Bradfield

Orston@Bottesford

Cocket Farm

Kegworth

Probably missed loads out

Thank you Rupert and Luke, I'll do a bit of googling of your suggestions...

Hoplite

Thank you Les :)

I've had a look on t'interweb at some of the suggestions above - Cockett and Whitewater look good, but I've yet to look at some of the others. I'm looking forward to trying them out!

Hoplite

Hello Hoplite.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. Had a few lessons and applied for my licence straight away. I too have been doing endless research in to the question of what gun to buy! I'm currently leaning towards a Beretta 690 Black Edition or a standard 692. 

I'm with West Mercia and the wait time for me when I applied was 90 days but their website now says 6 months :angry: . You've probably read this, but from the south Yorkshire website: " The application for a grant of a Shotgun or Firearms Certificate will take approximately ten weeks from receipt of a correctly completed application."
Got my appointment through for November - quite speedy I think, so I'm looking forward to it!

Hoplite

Back