More 'ammunition' against lead..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps United Utilities will be changing ALL of their lead piping to plastic too (I just will not hold my breath though)  :???:

For those of you sufficiently interested in saving Lead shot as an effective tool, please read the following . Please complain to the BBC if you wish, it may help!

Dear Mr. Harris

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with our earlier response to your complaint and appreciate that you felt strongly enough to contact us again about the matter.

In these circumstances we aim to investigate and reply to you normally within up to 20 working days (around four weeks) but will contact you if we believe it may take longer. The time needed at this stage depends on the detail of the issues needing investigation, practical issues such as whether a production team is available or away on location and how many other complaints are also having to be investigated.

We aim to use your licence fee as efficiently as we can, so if you have complained about the same issues as others we will send our response to you and everyone. We may also not investigate or reply in great detail if a complaint doesn’t suggest a potential breach of BBC standards, or a significant issue of general importance. This is in line with the BBC Trust’s complaints procedures which you can read at: www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/governance/complaints_framework/.

This acknowledgment is automatically generated from an unmonitored address so please don’t reply. If you think you’ve received this in error please contact us using our webform at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your case reference number.

We attach the text and case reference number of your complaint below for your records:

----------

YOUR COMPLAINT:

Complaint Summary: Failure to report facts , biased reporting.

Full Complaint: Dear Mr.Carey, Lead poisons '100,000 birds annually'_86878999_86878997.jpg About 100,000 wetland birds are killed every year from poisoning by discarded lead ammunition, say scientists. Disclaimer: The BBC is not responsible for the content of this email, and anything written in this email does not necessarily reflect the BBC's views or opinions. Please note that neither the email address nor name of the sender have been verified. The above was used as a BBC News item on I believe it was the 26th November. Noting your disclaimer, could you please explain how a decision was made to make it newsworthy without first investigating its source , and verifying that it was indeed reliable information? I think it would be appropriate for the BBC to now publish a retraction and also to state that anything that is reported in BBC News is often a figment of unreliable correspondents, biased minds ! Would it not be correct to report that anti-gun factions will go to any lengths to discredit law abiding citizens whose sport is a shooting sport? A sport that Great Britain excels in and can be proud of multiple World Champions such as George Digweed MBE, Richard Faulds MBE, Mike Gaunt MBE, Peter Wilson MBE, Cheryl Hall and many many others who are never recognised by the BBC because they represent a politically incorrect Sport. It may be worth noting that The House of Commons has a firing range , that Lords and MP's often compete against each other in shooting competitions. Regards, Peter Harris

It shames me to admit that actual science has not been a component of the debate here.  I would guess that a part of that is the whole gun thing is more or less conservative based and the simple truth is that the US conservatives, at any rate, are as unswayed by anything scientific as can be imagined so their support has never materialized.  And of course it doesn't have any significant impact on re-election and THAT is the real deciding factor.

the simple truth is that lead poisoning of game birds is bovine fecal matter

Mike Gaunt MBE - I had to bingle this one to no avail!

Peter - Is it possible that you mean Mick Gault until recently the most medalled Commonwealth Games Sportsman ever and our most successful pistol shooter in recent times.

Excellent complaint you made to the BBC I thought!

http://www.parliamen...5f-eb64b87b5ee4

A very interesting discussion, if you care to look from 16.30.05 onwards.

Interestingly John Swift was present !

Perhaps Richard Ali and Nick Fellows should have been present as well ?
Thanks for that link! Very interesting to hear what was said. 

I'm glad that there are some people in parliament talking sense, and questioning the validity of some of these "investigations", and pointing out the "scaremongery" in force! 

Latest posts

Back