Moral dilemma..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

My 10 year old has really taken an interest in shooting this year and every second we spend outdoors together is one that I will treasure forever.

One of my driven days this year coincides with the last day of school and he has asked whether he can bunk off the last day and stand with me on the peg instead.  I really don’t want to restrict his education, and I hate the idea if deceiving the school, BUT all they wIll be doing that day will be playing games and eating cake..

Would it really be terrible if he cane shooting instead?..

I have many friends who are teachers , some infant teachers , some senior school teachers all have one thing in common .

They are bloody thick.

I think many would agree that providing the ground work is done early on , education comes on in leaps and bounds after leaving school .

Take him shooting with you , correctly tutored and mentored he will learn far more with a day  in the field than a week in the classroom.

I was in a similar situation two weeks ago when my lad had the chance to shoot with me on a driven day. We phoned the school and explained the situation and that his main interest is shooting (not rugby, cricket etc) and he'd been invited on a shoot. The school were absolutly fine with it and appreciated our honesty, plus did an article in their magazine about Harry's clay shooting. 

Don't disagree with much that has been said, however just to put another side.

If  caught out, the fine would make me say no. I had a quick look on tinternet and the fine is a fixed penalty £60. I don't believe that they have to be declared on a licence renewal but I personally wouldn't run the risk. 

I would also rather mine was in School with friends of the same age. The time goes very quickly , especially in the last year of primary school and that last year will be special. 

There's a lifetime to go shooting. Jan the 1st boxing day, if in a syndicate or any of the other days you have booked.

Just read MDPs reply and that approach seems sensible. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends, I personally wouldn't take him shooting, it's not whether he learns something on that day that matters because it's still school and it's still going to carry experiences for him that matter in later life. He will be learning you can't just pick and choose what day you attend school for a start. 

What i remember of the last day of school was a generally none educational day because of lack of interest from pupils and teachers...take him shooting he will learn far more about the real world.

What I remember about school was a total lack of education and lack of interest from teachers and ips on all days not just the last one of term....take him shooting its only school there are far more important things in life other than learning a load of tosh that's of no use in the real world. 

Did I ever mention that I despise school with an absolute passion  :smile:

Its all very well well taking him out of school but I guarantee that at some time in the future you will complain that the school is rubbish and he has learned nothing. You cant have it both ways I'm afraid.

My friends father died suddenly and very unexpectedly before he was an adult, your a long time dead. 

Last edited:
I have a very low opinion of what is laughably called "education" in modern Britain but they do have a few simple rules and you will be setting a bad example to your son if take him out out of school for a jolly. Especially if you deceive the school by pretending he's unwell.

He has perhaps 70 years of shooting ahead of him so the lesson that standards are important matters more than missing 1 day in the field, even though he won't understand it yet.

I have a very low opinion of what is laughably called "education" in modern Britain but they do have a few simple rules and you will be setting a bad example to your son if take him out out of school for a jolly. Especially if you deceive the school by pretending he's unwell.

He has perhaps 70 years of shooting ahead of him so the lesson that standards are important matters more than missing 1 day in the field, even though he won't understand it yet.
I don't believe that one day off in nine years (so far) of school is setting a bad example, especially when it had the schools approval. Yes you can take rules to the letter of the law, but our school appreciate the bigger picture. 

Each to their own I suppose... 

Taking a child out of school for a single day will set an example for the future. What total bollocks! Engaged and involved parents who are open to discussion are likely to be a far better influence over 9 years of schooling than taking a single day off. Unfortunately this type of parent is the one that is likely to be bullied into paying a penalty. The real bums just shrug and say they can't afford it and get away with it!

The worlds of education and more importantly work are changing and are likely to be almost unrecognisable to most of the dinosaurs here in 25 years time. Teaching kids adaptability and negotiation skills is far more likely to be a lasting impression than a day sneaked off school with his dad. We could do with a whole lot more kids with strong family ties. I did it perhaps two or 3 times with my dad and 50 years later they are special memories.

Take him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had as many days off school as was possible (sometimes a day in the fields with my trusty air rifle) usually without my parents knowledge and I turned into a pillar of the community ?

not ?

I don't even understand the dilemma its one day spent off school with his dad, take the lad shooting and enjoy the day ?

I had as many days off school as was possible (sometimes a day in the fields with my trusty air rifle) usually without my parents knowledge and I turned into a pillar of the community ?

not ?

I don't even understand the dilemma its one day spent off school with his dad, take the lad shooting and enjoy the day ?
Thats why you have ended up like you are !!!

20 hours ago, Salopian said:
I have many friends who are teachers , some infant teachers , some senior school teachers all have one thing in common .

They are bloody thick.

You speak for your thick 'friends', my wife is a teacher with two degrees and about 4 or 5 languages - plus she married me - so she can't be thick. 

That said - I agree with the idea that kids should get out more, last day of term is a jolly... take him shooting. 

Latest posts

Back