Malfunction of gun or cartridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

With the current extortionate price of cartridges and the exceptional quality of cartridges( NOT) what should the rule be with adhering to the CPSA rules regarding a malfunction ?
Rule currently states that after two malfunctions (fail to fire ) the third malfunction rule is target or pair lost .
NOW with numerous primer issues I feel this is an unfair penalty and referees need to use discretion and sense.
I recently had five fail to fire with Fiocchi.

To get 3 failures to fire in one round/stand which is all purely down to cartridge manufacturing I would say is exceptionally unlucky. I think in a registered shoot most refs might use some discretion. In a championship shoot, maybe not.

I've had a 2 failures on 1 stand before, which turned out to be my cartridge not liking a pitted bottom barrel firing pin. Swapped the cartridges for a different one (of the same manufacturer), which got me through the round. Changed the firing pin and never had another problem with misfires.

I've lost more targets due to random gusts of wind (nature's, not mine), than misfires. Unfortunately we can't do much about that either.

I have only ever had 2 and it was recently with fiocchi tt and turned out my firing pin needed replacing

No problem I think. Unusual to have 3 fails in one stand. Used thousands of fiocchi no problems.

Fiocchi cartridges often have deep set primers. They are usually the first brand to fail with worn pins - particularly on Brownings which pit.

It's for the shooter to get the cartridge & gun combination right though I would concur with refs being sympathetic unless under scrutiny themselves.

I normally champion Fiocchi for there consistency, but I have had quite a few week sounding and feeling shots and powder fouled barrels lately. They still managed to break the clays though. Sent them an email weeks ago with no reply.

I've had a 2 failures on 1 stand before, which turned out to be my cartridge not liking a pitted bottom barrel firing pin. Swapped the cartridges for a different one (of the same manufacturer), which got me through the round. Changed the firing pin and never had another problem with misfires.
I agree, multiple misfires are a classic case of firing pin issues, if you are lucky it's a build-up of crud under the pin but more likely wear and tear.

Last edited:
With the current extortionate price of cartridges and the exceptional quality of cartridges( NOT) what should the rule be with adhering to the CPSA rules regarding a malfunction ?
Rule currently states that after two malfunctions (fail to fire ) the third malfunction rule is target or pair lost .
NOW with numerous primer issues I feel this is an unfair penalty and referees need to use discretion and sense.
The only time I’ve had primer issues was one box of Remington rimfire. The whole box was either no primer in the groove or too much. Bloody dangerous.
All other occasions were light strikes on revolvers where the mainspring was backed off too far and while fine on single action failed sometimes on double action with hard primers.
Shotgun and CF rifles - never. If your getting failures it’s more likely light strikes due to pin or spring issues.

Worrying coincidence - I also had 5 misfires recently during a 100 bird ESP at Hodnet, all Fiocchi F3's.
I had my firing pins replaced in my 325 about 5 weeks ago, too.

Popped back to the gunsmith with my gun and some of the cartridges and he showed me how the primer is set further in, and the brass itself is ever so slightly concaved, as if they're pressed on more than an alternative cartridge. We're only talking in thou's, but clearly that's enough to make a difference and not play ball with my older gun..

I'm now left with a decent quantity of Fiocchi cartridges that I can't really confidently use, nor return for any kind of refund..

As I’m the muzzle loader enthusiast of the club the dud cartridges come my way to be broken down into there constituent parts for reuse. In the last 6 or 8 weeks I have received a couple of Hull with good strikes 1 Fiocchi again good strike and 12 Velocity all looked to have accaptable strikes to the primer all are from various different guns and would be extremely unlikely that worn firing pins etc would play a part in anymore than a couple of instances. I have also seen another 4 hill Superfast where the brass had come loose after firing causing the ejector to override the brass and the cart to become lodged in the gun (both the newer Superfast). I think it’s got to be a case of primer supplier issues or lax quality control or both. But i have seen more issues with cartridges in the last couple of months than in the previous 5 years of shooting.

I have used a variety of cartridges over the last few years, including Cheddite, Hull Superfarts and Fiocchi. I have had 1 Fiocchi F Blue misfire, but that too went when I switched it to the other barrel. I store my cartridges indoors and my guns, apart from a Beretta 303, are all Winchester/Browning based. However, every 3 or 4 months, I remove both firing pins, but especially the bottom barrel, clean them with a Scotchbright cleaning pad, a VERY thin coating of Lucas gun oil, then after cleaning their housing, replace them both back into their relative housings. I find by doing this regularly, I have never EVER had to replace firing pins. Around 5 years ago I bought some of the USA designed pins and springs, just in case. I have never needed to fit them.

Latest posts

Back