Lubrication in the desert.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunc

Interesting thread earlier about grease or oil for choke threads which got me thinking.....

With a lot of sand likely to be in the air in some places next week, maybe neither Tetra grease or Express Gun Oil (what I normally use) is the correct solution to lubrication in the desert.

While I've plenty of case lubes for my rifle reloading that are 'dry', I'm not sure I want to chance those.

There's not much dry lube specifically available for the shooting world although Hornady do a 'One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube 5.5oz' but the only supplier I could see (Dauntseys), is out of stock at the mo.

There's plenty of stuff for cycles on ebay so I've got two small sprays on the way, one graphite based and the other PTFE.  I guess bike chains in sandy/dry conditions have similar issues of needing to be lubricated but not wanting to attract abrasive particles.

Can anyone please tell me if there is any reason why these 'dry lubes' should not be used for the action of a shotgun - ie for relatively short periods to time ie the competition in Dubai?  I just hate the thought of a grease/oil and sand mixture in the action of the gun -  remembering advice I was given many years ago ;)   

Thanks in anticipation for your wisdom.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a permanent resident in the desert shooting food to survive, or is it just a couple of days shooting?.

If the latter I don't think it matters, oil/grease will be fine.

Mike

After last years trip I'm going to remove all oil/grease and keep the gun dry for the trip, much easier

I really do not think that running a gun dry for 1 shoot will do any terminal harm. Oil/grease + sand = grinding paste. So no oily sun tan cream either !

Most modern hotels will have a three pin UK type socket as well as two pin euro sockets somewhere in the room, usually around the desk area. Take an adaptor just in case.

As for the desert lubrication, Fosters...hic!

DT

Degrease the gun, and use a very light oil PTFE should be fine, I have also heard people using talc powder but not sure how affect that is. Cleaned mine yesterday and used a light PTFE oil very sparingly so will see what happens...

lubrication , oil , grease , good god im staggered all this cleaning and maintenance is new to me , i work on the first shot down each barrel next time cleans it out !!!

lucky you have a Krieghoff then Steven :fie: , un-burnt powder, plastic etc, this creates more friction up the barrels and damage to the chrome lining. Springs, pins, pinion points etc all need lubricating otherwise they will wear, and un-cleaned greases oils will harbour dirt/grit and will wear surfaces, basic maintenance will make it last and perform longer  :fie:     :sclerosis:

Well well, so far this month we've chokes in aircraft, what grease for my chokes, now it's chokes in the desert!

I'm betting on chokes in space next!

well ive had it 6 years now nicolas and no probs , the cartridges i use are soooo fast they need slowing down for the type of shoots you and me attend !!!!!

matt dont forget to pack your , sorry i mean my £100 !!!!! and jeremy come to think of it 

Back