Lubricant tests

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hnachaj

I started a test of various lubricants that we use in shotguns. It is for publication so, the makes except for one are not public. I used one grease type, several different oils and as a control: Beretta oil ( # 7) that comes with the DT11 shotgun. In total there are 7 lubricants. The first test mimics the US Milspec test of 100 hours in salt water. After 48 hours, the vegetable based CLP started to rust. After 102 hours, it was completely rusted. Some of the rust migrated to the clp (#6) next to it (#5) but did not penetrate. The next test will be gunpowder and black powder then rust penetration cleaning. Enclosed are the pics

Henry

post-34-0-99508000-1391809034.jpg

post-34-0-20776400-1391809108.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Well there are two I would not want to use. Will you PM me the names so I can avoid them please?

When I saw the title I though oh dear, this is going to get out of hand.....

Shocking results though, I wouldn't mind knowing what 5 and 6 are!

Try it using ACF-50, use it on all my guns and never had a hint of corrosion.

Sorry, but I will only show the winner in a few weeks! One needs to check to what standards are used. The failure had superb pressure resistant that surpassed milspec  MIL-PRF-634060E "Falex Wear Test" by 10 fold! Most products claim all sorts of benefits over petroleum based products. But my experience has shown synthetics blew away vegetable and petroleum based products. I have an 11 year test bed with my 391 Optima Gold Sporter that has never been cleaned.

Henry

That's not much use then....we need to keep clear of the ones that don't work.

Gee,

where/how do you use ACF50 on a shotgun.  I use ACF50 on outdoor machinery, on my Defender etc but I would have thought it was a tad thick for a gun.  Mind you I tend to spay on and leave. Do you wipe on with a cloth?

Gee,

where/how do you use ACF50 on a shotgun.  I use ACF50 on outdoor machinery, on my Defender etc but I would have thought it was a tad thick for a gun.  Mind you I tend to spay on and leave. Do you wipe on with a cloth?
Just spray some on a small cloth mate and rub it in to get it impregnated all over the cloth, just keep it in your slip/case and give the whole gun a rub over when needed. I use it on metal. wood, plastics....everywhere! I know its not cheap stuff but a lot goes a very very long way, and a £15 can should last you a lifetime using it for guns. A little squirt onto the cloth every couple of months!

Ive had my can since nearly 10 years and still havent used it up. Guns are as tidy as the day the were new.

As you know a tiny bit goes a long way. Best £15 you could spend on gun care in my opinion.

Gee, thanks for the explanation.  It does seem to creep into all the nooks and crannies and does an excellent job of keeping even soft steel clear of the dreaded rust.

Thanks for the tip.

Yes but more importantly I want to know what does not work so I can stay away from it..!
+1.   Naming and shaming the rubbish is probably more important than revealing the best to me. It could save costly errors.  :biggrin:

The top is burnt black powder while the bottom is burnt extruded smokeless powder. Extruded powders generally burn dirty in barrels but more so in open spaces. I used a toothpick to scratch the areas. #1 and #6 had the most easy glide through the burnt crude. The next test is dropping one drop of the lubricants on top of the crude and then waiting four days to see if they will clean or soften the crude. My best bet is #1 and #6 are the two top. BTW, the little film of rust on #6 was rust that migrated from #5. It did not penetrate the lubricant at all.

Henry

post-34-0-69996000-1391890899.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
Is it not to know what works and not what does not?

Henry

Is it not to know what works and not what does not?

Henry
Both .....because lots of people will have favourites and will not believe that theirs are bad as 5 and 6.....they will carry on using them long after this thread has been forgotten ......unless the bad ones are outed.....when the best one is told.

As a fellow shooter I would have thought that you would have wanted to give the info in full....if you are having us join in your experiment by watching it.

'That' is why I asked for you to tell me on PM.... I can understand a reluctance to post it on this page.

However, I will switch off now because you may be the new exporter for a new gun cleaning product.

Have fun Henry :wink:

What's the point if you don't get to see all results and make your own mind up unless you're touting for business on a particular brand?

Not touting any brand but using the US milspec test. I will have more on the weekend.

Henry

The control is # 7 Beretta oil which comes with every Beretta shotgun. From previous experiments, it is as good if not beter than regular gun oils.

Henry 

Back