Lens Tints

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter.W-T

I am looking at the possibility of of getting prescription shooting glasses and the question of which colour lens has come up as I am not in the position of being able to go for a full set of different tints.

I have tried a the Randolph Ranger medium yellow and the red (Vermillion) and I think I prefer a slightly darker yellow over the red.

Any thoughts as to which colours others find better ?

Thanks

Very personal this I would think, I have tried to see what others appear to see wearing various colours but they all look naff to me compared to normal vision. Yes there are times when certain clays do appear to stand out better with glasses but on the whole I really think you need to try a few of your friends and see which gives the best all round performance.

I would advise against a really dark one though as most of the year we tend to shoot in low light conditions.

Different eye's see colour's differently. What work's for me might not for you. I use Randolph Ranger XL's, got my set down to Dark Orange, Dark Purple and CMT.

Just got some high contrast brown, to go with the light yellow RR from Wayne at Morgan opticians in New York excellent service and price (mine are perscription). I struggled to see on bright days in the yellows and would have to avoid stands till the clouds helped a bit. And after a dismal result in bright conditions decided to go for the browns with some help from Morgans.

I used to use prescription glasses and encountered similar issues, however it was some time ago so bear with me, I'm a little rusty. I seem to remember that you are better served by having a lens or lenses that enhances contrast (thereby making the clay stand out) and not a lens that purports to enhance one colour (orange for an orange clay for example, as you can get significantly different results dependent on light conditions and background)

IIRC lenses with a red/purple hue or brown were favourite (something to do with the wavelengths they absorb - blue light??) I would definitely advocate polaroid lenses where possible though.

In the end I found that using contact lenses for shooting proved the way forward for me (and cheaper!!)

I wear glasses and asked around for an optician who knows shooting. Simon Goldsmith of JH Steward (Bisley) Ltd was recommended and I bought two pairs, one yellow for low light and a brown lens for sunlight - both are great.

Simon knows what he's doing, give him a try.

http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/

If you have some old favourite frames send them to specs-by-post with your prescription and have tinted lenses fitted for £20+P.P. Save a fortune unless you really need those designer style specs.Send them first class and they turn them round in 3-4 days.I've had yellow and brown done by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
or get contacts and a set of oakleys /hidef/ dogs bollox(or whatever they are).

I agree that light yellow is best for low light and that a mid brown is useful in sunlight. I don't see the point of dark lenses as you want to let most of the light through. I think the reds are much too unnatural and distracting.

I think that shooting glasses are a very important part of your kit.

Firstly with CPSA and many ground rules you HAVE to wear them, in doing so it can interfere with your target acquisition due to incorrect optics, frame shape nose piece etc., So it is very important to get what YOU want and are most comfortable with. I think that in certain light conditions all colours may have their specific use.

Therefore it is advisable to get expert advise and importantly look after the lenses when you've got them, they don't travel too well in the bottom of a cartridge bag, abrading on loose chokes which you are also denting at £60 a time. :frown: :frown: :frown:

Although I don't actually own any, I am impressed by the clarity of Hi-Def specs ( Pilla)?

Yes you do need dark (welding ?) glasses for bright sunlight, brown, yellow and vermilion for different backgrounds and light conditions.

If you can't see it, I'll doubt you can hit it.

All,

Many thanks for the thoughts and advice - I have arrived at this point after having quite dissapointing results from trying to use contact lenses. My prescription is quite small and designed to correct astigmatism. As a consequence the step changes that are available with contact lenses are always a compromise compared to glasses that can be made exactly for your prescription.

I agree with the comment about the red being un natural having shot with them at the weekend although I did manage to shoot well with them in bright conditions.

I met with Ed Lyons (the chap who contributes to Clay Shooting mag) recently and had the most thorough eye test ever ! so all the details are now available to make up the glasses I just need to decide on lens tint.

Has to be said Ed is a really top chap, clearly knows his stuff, really helpful and shoots as well so knows what is important in shooting glasses.

Different eye's see colour's differently. What work's for me might not for you. I use Randolph Ranger XL's, got my set down to Dark Orange, Dark Purple and CMT.
Bryan you are quite right and most have missed this. It is irrelevant what lens tint works for others because it depends on 'your own eyes'......and their colour range.

To find that out you need the experts. Loads of work done on this subject between UK Sport funded work in BS and university project.

I was lucky to be invited on the project (the details mentioned previously on either here or clay sporting website)

@Peter WT....if you message me your email I will send you the contact number for Gerrant who can put you through all the tests should you wish.

I met with Ed Lyons (the chap who contributes to Clay Shooting mag) recently and had the most thorough eye test ever ! so all the details are now available to make up the glasses I just need to decide on lens tint.

Has to be said Ed is a really top chap, clearly knows his stuff, really helpful and shoots as well so knows what is important in shooting glasses.
Good to hear this - I'm off to see Ed next week for the same test.

I know, that's going to be strange, opticians waiting room + gun = cognitive dissonance.

I'm here to educate in an entertaining way, and entertain in a educational way.

I shoot with quite a few thesaurus's.

Sorry dyslexia okay rules innit , I meant dinosaur's :D :D

Latest posts

Back