Lens colour for cloudy days

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter C

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and was wondering what colour lenses would enhance orange clays on a cloudy day. I shoot Olympic Trap only and with mixed cloud/clear sky I lose the target when it passes from blue sky to clouds when the sun is obscured and no light is reflecting off the clay. I shoot with Pilla Panther X Post glasses and Specialty kit lenses. Pilla's web site shows 42ED, 38 Max or the new light purple as looking like possible choices, although given the cost trying all 3 is not an option! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

46N is perfect for trap...you see the target the whole way (it is the light purple special).

I use it in all light conditions (but obviously not into direct sun...which would not or should not happen on a trap ground) :wink:

Now the only problem is hitting them as my excuse of not seeing them ...has gone :wink:

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and was wondering what colour lenses would enhance orange clays on a cloudy day. I shoot Olympic Trap only and with mixed cloud/clear sky I lose the target when it passes from blue sky to clouds when the sun is obscured and no light is reflecting off the clay. I shoot with Pilla Panther X Post glasses and Specialty kit lenses. Pilla's web site shows 42ED, 38 Max or the new light purple as looking like possible choices, although given the cost trying all 3 is not an option! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. 
With regards to "trying all three", contact Ed Lyons on here...I would be very surprised if he can't help you out in some way. :)

Actually, if you have any vision related questions or doubts, speak to Ed Lyons...if you use glasses and you shoot...speak to Ed Lyons...full stop.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to Ed ....Mr Skeety

I shoot a lot of trap...And I had exactly the same problem as described above.....!

So....that is why I made the suggestion of the 46N's :wink:

I cannot tell from your post (because it is not clear what the 'full stop' refers to) if you disagree with what I suggested to chappy....?

But....As far as I can see from his post he does not mention prescription glasses requirement.

Ed is defo the person to use for prescription or buying any glasses.

And my input here was simply the cure to the problem after the experience of the problem.

Hope that helps....if needed. xx

I spoke to Ed ....Mr Skeety

I shoot a lot of trap...And I had exactly the same problem as described above.....!

So....that is why I made the suggestion of the 46N's :wink:

I cannot tell from your post (because it is not clear what the 'full stop' refers to) if you disagree with what I suggested to chappy....?

But....As far as I can see from his post he does not mention prescription glasses requirement.

Ed is defo the person to use for prescription or buying any glasses.

And my input here was simply the cure to the problem after the experience of the problem.

Hope that helps....if needed. xx
Hi Nic,

Your post was great as usual, no worries :)

I know he didn't mention prescription glasses, but I thought I would mention Ed Lyons, as he is a Pilla dealer (as you know) and our new friend here might not have known this.  Lets face it, Ed is such a helpful guy, EVERYONE should know about him, hence the "speak to him..full stop"

I fancy a 46N myself actually . . . purple looks good on me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys, very helpful - I will give Ed a shout.

Nicola, you mention 46N but also mentioned "light purple special". Is that the new very light purple 66N?

Nicola, you mention 46N but also mentioned "light purple special". Is that the new very light purple 66N?
No mate, I think she means the 46N

'&do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Fancy trying this lens I have 4 hi def no post lens but none seem to be good all round it seems if the light changes mid line, as it generaly does whatever you put on are wrong.

No I was talking about 46N. Ideal for orange targets as it dulls the background. :wink:

I have the 44N in stock for the Panther Post and No Post as well as the Outlaw X

Back