Kolar guns now available in the UK

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that is correct Rosso, there are disciplines that state (Fitasc?) the gun may not be larger than 12 bore size!

As Nigel Farage would say:- " British Proof Laws are to be observed if you are a Brit in Britain , unless you use a gun manufactured in accordance with CiP rules "

We even have rules at the Proof Houses where they turn a blind eye to their own rules of proof when re-proving a gun manufactured larger than 12 bore barrel dimensions !

As Nigel would say " You can't make it up."

Interestingly in the case of Kolar are they sold with proof marks that are recognised by CiP & British Proof Houses?

It is an offence to sell guns in the UK without proof marks .

Unless of course we have moved another set of goalposts????

If that is correct Rosso, there are disciplines that state (Fitasc?) the gun may not be larger than 12 bore size!
​Here it is Guru of their UK website. 0.750" = 19.10mm = 11 bore.

SPORTING MAX S/C > SPECIFICATIONS

GAUGE:

12 ga.
Chambered 2.75"

FINISH:

Receiver/Iron
Satin Nickel, Standard

Barrels
Matte Blue, Standard
Gloss Blue, Optional

BARRELS:

Over/Under
30"/.750 bore, XLC, CT/CT

32"/.750 bore, XLC, CT/CT

Supplied w/5 extended CTs

Carrier 2 Bbl Set
w/AAA/MAX 20, 28 & .410 inserts
(30" Carrier bbl matches 32"/.750 bbl)

RIB:

Ramp Taper
Fully adjustable.

Barrels pre-set at factory for 60% P.O.I. Adjustable from 50/50 to 70/30

It seems YOUR importer has decided which spec's to import..

Here are the Max. Lite specs( .750 Bore guns are a hard sale here and contribute to the "poor re-sale" accounts in the USA..The .750 bore guns are heavy barrels and nose heavy. Very few sporting clays/FITASC shooters use the .750 barrels..The newer .740 barrels make the Kolars a completely different feeling gun vs. the .750 bore barrels!!!) 

MAX LITE SPORTING SPECIFICATIONS

GAUGE:

12GA

CHAMBERED 2.75”

FINISH:

RECEIVER/IRON
BARRELS

SATIN NICKEL, STANDARD
MATTE BLUE, STANDARD 
GLOSS BLUE, OPTIONAL

BARRELS:

OVER/UNDER

30”/.740 LITE CONTOUR, 
XLC, CT/CT; 
W/5 EXTENDED CTS

32”/.740 LITE CONTOUR, 
XLC, CT/CT; 
W/5 EXTENDED CTS

CARRIER 2 
BBL SET

W/MAX AAA 20, 28 & .410 INSERTS
(30” CARRIER BBL MATCHES 32”/.740 LITE CONTOUR BBL) 

12GA / 28GA
2 BBL SET

30"/32" .740 LITE CONTOUR
XLC, CT/CT;
W/5 EXTENDED CTS

RIBS:

RAMP TAPERED RIB

FIXED STANDARD

FULLY ADJUSTABLE. BARRELS PRE-SET AT FACTORY FOR 60% P.O.I. ADJUSTABLE FROM 50/50 
TO 70/30.

TRIGGER:

MAX STAGE II
W/INTERLOCK

ALL COIL SPRING DRIVEN, ADJUSTABLE FOR FINGER LENGTH.

FACTORY RELEASE OPTIONAL.

STOCK & FOREND:

ENGLISH WALNUT W/EURO DESIGN FOREND.

ALL STOCKS AVAILABLE IN RH OR LH CONFIGURATIONS
WITH ADJUSTABLE COMB.

L/W ADJUSTABLE HEEL DEVICE OPTIONAL. .

APPROX.
WEIGHT:

8.5 LBS

RAMP TAPERED FIXED RIB, STANDARD

8.75 LBS

RAMP TAPERED ADJUSTABLE RIB

I believe that the 12ga stipulation is for the factory standard chamber/cartridge.  You can pour that down any size hole you like.  Nobody cares what the proof house calls it as long as the cart says 12ga on the head.  Even at the turn of the 20th Century there were "chamberless" guns that were chamber diameter (0.800) straight thru and they were 12ga.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not own anything called kolar or Renault or hitachi, the names are just too .... maroon for my liking.

I have shot a Kolar for the last 4 years, a Max not a Max light but I weighed 8 lb. 12oz. I between the hands it is a lovely thing, feels a lot like a Perazzi. Any comparisons to a K80 should stop at the barrel hanger. The action owes a little to the Bifurcated lump guns but also has big locking lugs like a Beretta, super strong action. For the sake of background I went from a K80 to the Kolar and like the Kolar a lot better. I have owned an MX16 and a MX2000s before K80 and the Kolar, and none of these moves made any difference in my shooting results.  The trigger drops out, if that is your bag, and  the new ones are fantastic super crisp and mechanical so you can get to the second barrel with the trigger alone which was handy if I made a loading error.  I also like the fact you can switch barrels without fear of a doubling. The service is fantastic on par with Krieghoff and if they made a fixed choke 34" version I would be a very happy guy but they don't, so I had to look elsewhere.  Very, very well made gun. 

The entrenched positions about which gun is best, in my opinion is a waste of time. My brother loved to call it a "Ford/Chevy Debate"  There are are Chevy guys and some folks like Fords and some without hope, self respect, or a clue shoot a Zoli (I cannot pass on a good gag). 

I also like the fact you can switch barrels without fear of a doubling. 
​Why would switching barrels cause doubling in other makes ? 

With a Perazzi I believe the gun has to be on safe or the action open so that the sears are disengaged.  I don't have those kinds of triggers so I can't tell you why.  OK that's a lie.  I could look at the MT6 but it's too much trouble.  And I'm not sure it works the same way anyway.  It doesn't double.  Seems like when I got that thing 20yrs ago I did switch the selector with the action closed and the safety off and as the sear lifter moved over the gun went off, not double.  But that was a loooong time ago for my ancient brain and I'm not sure.  I have never had a gun double tho so I know it didn't do that.  FWIW  I may have to look

on the 682 and the old SxS Beretta I know I can flip the selector as many times as I want and nothing bad happens 'cept I might pick the wrong barrel

In all fairness I think that it is important to note I have seen a few K80s double repeatedly and need work. I had a SxS Merkel that doubled and after a few visits back they determined it was my fault. So it is not just the MX8 that have this quirk, I was told that the Mx12 and therefore the MX2000s did not have this problem. 

All of the drop out trigger Perazzis use the same triggers.  If there is a problem it is not limited to MX8's.  AFAIK all the trigger plate guns use a selector similar to the original MT6 and that may be a difference in detail.  Personally, I'm not a selector trigger user so the topic is not one that keeps me from sleeping.

Still a bit fuzzy, are we saying some guns fire when the barrel selector is moved ? Can't be right surely ? 

Some MX8's would have a problem in that if you loaded your gun and then closed it, if you then changed over your barrel selector to top for example the gun could double 

discharge on firing.   but only on firing.

Doesn't happen if the gun is put in 'safe' before the selector is moved though. Did it once whilst looking to bag a bunny. Just about to pull the trigger on one when a better looking specimen appeared fro the hedge a bit further out. Flicked the selector over and promptly let fly with both barrels. 64gr of VIP 6s.

Never did that again, went and bought an MX12 instead. Gave the rabbit to the dog.

Latest posts

Back