Known to police

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While no direct threat has been made, there is an implied one by saying that "if i were one of the bereaved and you had uttered that to me you would be going home in an ambulance". Perhaps a better choice of phrase could prevented it being misconstrued 
I agree and I apologise to all who have been upset I meant no threat to the poster for that but let us not forget people died needlessly so someone could get their jollies saying hey look at me!

I agree and I apologise to all who have been upset I meant no threat to the poster for that but let us not forget people died needlessly so someone could get their jollies saying hey look at me!
Fair enough but (as others have said) he was a highly experienced professional pilot flying an agreed routine which would have been seen and agreed by the 'authorities'.  He's no clown.

harrier pilot,top gun pilot,raf flying instuctor on fast jets,airline pilot on airbus,757,767 and you call him a clown...it was a sad day for everyone but you are not making things any better.

what are your qualifications to use a shotgun or are you a clown too?
Well I have shot a few straights if that helps as a qualification but I am not a top gun.  I have never ever endangered the live of anybody while using my shotgun. I only ever use my shotgun where it is safe to do so, I never ever have pointed a loaded shotgun at anybody and very, very importantly I have never ever used my gun in a place where I could be a danger the general public should an accidental discharge occur. I can sleep easily in my bed tonight knowing that nobody died because of my recklessness . These are not qualifications I know. I do have some for what was my previous occupation but that never could be described as one that may have been that dangerous although my safety record in the lab was unblemished.

Fair enough but (as others have said) he was a highly experienced professional pilot flying an agreed routine which would have been seen and agreed by the 'authorities'.  He's no clown.
Look he may be a top pilot but that does not excuse him pulling a stunt directly over a busy major road and I disagree that his flight path would have been directly over the road he was off course his stunt should have been parallel to the road not over it, had he crashed in the field there would have been no loss of life. Look I am not going to apologise for thinking that aerobatic stunts should not take place over a busy main road its just not on.

Last edited by a moderator:
every single airport i can think of has a road directly at the end of the runway and sometimes airliners have overshot into them.

having seen the video from various angles he was crossing the road at a slight angle the impact caused devestating destruction of the aircraft which spread along the road....he did not fly along parrallel to it so your statement is totally incorrect.

the cause of the accident will come out in an investigation but in one of the videos it seems like he has to make an extreme effort to pull up effectively taking a second attempt possibly a momentary loss of power?

my heart goes out to everyone involved but the last thing we need is this government starting with knee jerk reactions we have the best safety record in the world for airshows and as has been stated you still have more chance of being struck by lkightning than this happening to you or anyone you know.

until the reason for this dreadful accident is known, if ever, i think it`s grossly unfair to blame the pilot here, it may well be it was pilot error, but to call him a clown etc is totally out of line, until the facts are known.

guys like him are a different breed, balls of steel in fact,  so how  do you know if there was a mechanical problem that he decided to stay with the aircraft to avoid what did in fact happen? many a pilot in a similar situation has been killed trying to avoid disaster by not ejecting.

the pilot is not responsible for making up the display as he go`s along. it is choreographed and checked by all sorts of means.  

My assertion that he was off course was based on what was said on a new report last night, of course they could be wrong too, which said his flight path for the stunt should have been parallel to the road not over it.

My objection is not about the stunt but that is was carried out over a road rather than a field where there would have been no danger to the public doing a loop over a major public highway is a recipe for disaster should something go wrong and I do not believe the risk assessment would have allowed for this manoeuvre where it took place.

My particular objection to all of this is that we have a very experienced pilot and a plane that no doubt had passed the stringent servicing requirements.

As I have already said the tragic loss of life is very very regrettable but it could happen any day of the week if something went wrong on a commercial airliner or an RAF training sortie.

We have to wait for the Civil Aviation report to establish if it was a plane fault or a pilot problem.  Pilot problem could be pilot error or pilot black out due to the G forces.  Pilots are subject to stringent medical tests on a very regular basis.

Similar events could happen in motor racing event or when a dustbin lorry crashes into a crowd because a driver hides his medical history from his employers.

Wind your neck in!

This guy is not a clown or showing off to the crowds, he is passionate about flying, his aeroplane and what it is capable off and the crowds love to see it or the Red Arrows would not exist.

Robert I do not disagree with a lot of what you have said, however I would like to see the risk assessment for that particular stunt. I really do not see the bottom of the loop being over that road as being acceptable for any sort of risk assessment.

"This guy is not a clown or showing off to the crowds, he is passionate about flying, his aeroplane and what it is capable off "

or not unfortunately not capable of !

Its not that it happened its where it happened and no amount of posturing can change that. If a  pilot cannot under the current regulations fly his plane in a move such as this over the spectators at the show why on gods good earth is he allowed to do it over innocent members of the public going about the business of the day?

Latest posts

Back