Kids - Selfish B*****

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

First of the summer season evening shoots tonight (which I really enjoy) and I’m having to look after eldest as the housekeeper had taken the youngest to a birthday party. Irritatingly son and heir refuses to come clay shooting as he is playing Xbox!!!

Anyone else notice that family life gets in the way of shooting?

Yep.

Son and heir, as you put it, was born 19 months ago. My freedom to go shooting has all but disappeared since about a month before that. I can't begrudge him the fact, but sometimes, quietly, I do. 

Tell the kids you both have to compromise, he goes shooting with you and then when you get back he can play on Xbox an hour more then he usually does and if he moans, tell him Xbox is going in bin!!   I must be getting old though, my parents NEVER asked me etc, we were all just told we are doing this today so deal with it!! Can’t somehow imagine the children of today putting up with that though. 

First of the summer season evening shoots tonight (which I really enjoy) and I’m having to look after eldest as the housekeeper had taken the youngest to a birthday party. Irritatingly son and heir refuses to come clay shooting as he is playing Xbox!!!

Take X box, place on back garden, then 28 grams of 7 1/2's should be about right, especially through FULL choke  !  Wait for round of applause from everyone except, No. 1 Son  !

I gave up on my 2 youngest Grandkids (15 and 12)  and I have now sold their 28 bore. The eldest G/son (28) is just coming back to shooting, along with his cricket (bet you have never seen a cricket shooting  ?). Problem is, I take him to a 100 birder and kiss goodbye to £100 for the day. Mind you he DOES buy lunch    :D   No answer really, just let him ask you, to take him with you. Family life STILL gets in the way of both shooting and fishing    :???: .  

Take X box, place on back garden, then 28 grams of 7 1/2's should be about right, especially through FULL choke  !  Wait for round of applause from everyone except, No. 1 Son  !

I gave up on my 2 youngest Grandkids (15 and 12)  and I have now sold their 28 bore. The eldest G/son (28) is just coming back to shooting, along with his cricket (bet you have never seen a cricket shooting  ?). Problem is, I take him to a 100 birder and kiss goodbye to £100 for the day. Mind you he DOES buy lunch    :D   No answer really, just let him ask you, to take him with you. Family life STILL gets in the way of both shooting and fishing    :???: .  
The name Victor Meldrew springs to mind  :angel:

Tell the kids you both have to compromise, he goes shooting with you and then when you get back he can play on Xbox an hour more then he usually does and if he moans, tell him Xbox is going in bin!!   I must be getting old though, my parents NEVER asked me etc, we were all just told we are doing this today so deal with it!! Can’t somehow imagine the children of today putting up with that though. 
Good point...

Its not just your kids its all kids, thats the way of life now, if you remove there phone and games machine they then end up with nothing in common with there friends which has a bigger affect on them. Most on here are from a different generation and think kids should do what they did .......( stop kicking that ball about and get your homework done ) how wrong is that now ! in the electronic world we live in and made our-self. Its not what i agree with but thats how it is ! 

So what you are saying is that a kid that is not old enough to be home alone, dictates what sparetime activities are most important? 

Its not just your kids its all kids, thats the way of life now, if you remove there phone and games machine they then end up with nothing in common with there friends which has a bigger affect on them. Most on here are from a different generation and think kids should do what they did .......( stop kicking that ball about and get your homework done ) how wrong is that now ! in the electronic world we live in and made our-self. Its not what i agree with but thats how it is ! 
Agreed, but if we point 1 finger at the kids for that, we must remember there is as least 3 fingers pointing at our self. 

I do wonder if the OP (or many others for that matter) would have the same issues if instead of Xbox/phone/Playstation the kid was out building a castle in the garden, was out exploring the nearby forest or just kicking a ball around with neighbourhood kids. If we want the kids to have the same interests as us, we need to make what we do interesting to them. 

Lars

So what you are saying is that a kid that is not old enough to be home alone, dictates what sparetime activities are most important? 
No i am saying you cannot take away there digital life.............moderation is the key

@ Lars...................what we do has no interest to 90% of the kids today, try taking a kid fishing like your dad or granddad did ( probably ) there concentration will last all of 30 minutes there are no power points to plug into  :lol:

How do you make a young kid smile ........................get him something the needs powering up  :lol:

I know exactly what you mean. I ended up selling one of mine and giving the other away when they started interrupting my shooting.

No i am saying you cannot take away there digital life.............moderation is the key
Agreed. But my comment where aiming at the OP (apperently my written word aims just as bad as my shotgun. .). He wanted go shooting, kid wanted to play Xbox. He didn't go shooting. 

Difficult to get the kids out, no doubt about. Sometimes the stick, sometimes the carrot. This kid loves the outdoors, loves being around the old fellas (grandparents and grandparents friends).  Just as much as he lives sitting in front of his iPad and watching ridiculous games being played by others on YouTube😒. His first Roe (sitting with Grandad) 

Last edited by a moderator:

@ Lars...................what we do has no interest to 90% of the kids today, try taking a kid fishing like your dad or granddad did ( probably ) there concentration will last all of 30 minutes there are no power points to plug into  :lol:

How do you make a young kid smile ........................get him something the needs powering up  :lol:
I managed to find a power point for one of my Grandkids to 'plug into',  I think they used to be called an electric fence  !     I did try to warn him  ?      :wink:

Agreed. But my comment where aiming at the OP (apperently my written word aims just as bad as my shotgun. .). He wanted go shooting, kid wanted to play Xbox. He didn't go shooting. 

Difficult to get the kids out, no doubt about. Sometimes the stick, sometimes the carrot. This kid loves the outdoors, loves being around the old fellas (grandparents and grandparents friends).  Just as much as he lives sitting in front of his iPad and watching ridiculous games being played by others on YouTube😒. His first Roe (sitting with Grandad) 

View attachment 7123
 Hi Lars

My son loves the outdoors, shooting, beating, fishing, golf, just going for walks etc, but unfortunately watching me shoot (at) clays is just too boring for him..

BD6A99D4-B4BE-40F2-8190-9FCE9348025A.jpeg

E55913A7-9D3F-4888-A6A9-D3768D71F46D.jpeg

5CEE63BE-A7EC-43A4-B5DF-AE5FA1479D37.jpeg

95350930-4E9F-440D-B1C2-1818A33B7880.jpeg

I’d be more worried if a 13 year old onwards  wasn’t wanting to play on a x box and go against everything their parents/ and/  or grandparents want to do  . Just admit that for the next 12 years they will disown you , and don’t want you to be a) best mate b ) big brother c ) a cool dude , and you won’t go far wrong . 

They don’t want you to know that In their online  parallel life they are murdering Crack ‘Ho’s  in GTA , and have a Facebook profile that would make Keith Richards look like a monk . They don’t want to discuss the fact that they have a major thing about the girl down the road , and they will happily tell you that you are dumb as a brick. Although they will be embarrassed by you , it won’t stop them  trousering thousands  of pounds from the job that you have managed to keep for years despite being the dumbest bloke on the planet . Of course their friends parents / grandparents will be held up a beacons of how you should be .  Then one day they will magically come out of it , I’m not sure what the trigger is , but I suspect it’s when at 24 they get laughed out of the nightclub for being “old “ .

So it’s just a case of waiting it out , and as Westley says , remember you will still  be paying for life when they do come back  . At the end of the day they will pay it back to their grandkids😃

I’d be more worried if a 13 year old onwards  wasn’t wanting to play on a x box and go against everything their parents/ and/  or grandparents want to do  . Just admit that for the next 12 years they will disown you , and don’t want you to be a) best mate b ) big brother c ) a cool dude , and you won’t go far wrong . 

They don’t want you to know that In their online  parallel life they are murdering Crack ‘Ho’s  in GTA , and have a Facebook profile that would make Keith Richards look like a monk . They don’t want to discuss the fact that they have a major thing about the girl down the road , and they will happily tell you that you are dumb as a brick. Although they will be embarrassed by you , it won’t stop them  trousering thousands  of pounds from the job that you have managed to keep for years despite being the dumbest bloke on the planet . Of course their friends parents / grandparents will be held up a beacons of how you should be .  Then one day they will magically come out of it , I’m not sure what the trigger is , but I suspect it’s when at 24 they get laughed out of the nightclub for being “old “ .

So it’s just a case of waiting it out , and as Westley says , remember you will still  be paying for life when they do come back  . At the end of the day they will pay it back to their grandkids😃
Something to look forward to... he’s only 10!

Back