Just joined the CPSA some Advice Please

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevekeat

Hi All,

Its been a while since I posted on here and I am in need of some advice, my plan for next year is to get a classification and go on from there.

I score a 70 - 75 average at the practice ground but I am trying to get nearer the 80% Av. Apart from doing more shooting in 2014 what else can people recommend I do to just edge a bit higher. ie are lessons worth the money? and if so who is best.

Also it seems that registered shoots are few and far between in the west Midlands area unless I have missed something on the CPSA site. Where do the black Country boys and girls do the reg shooting.

Steve

Sounds like you are doing Ok. Just find some reg shoots and see how you get on. You will know if you are progressing on your own or if you need lessons to speed things up. Also, its about how much you want to progress (for extra expense) or if you are enjoying learning on the personal journey. No definitive answer without your aims being clarified first.

Hi Steve,

There's a fair few shoots not too far from you like Oakedge, Kinglsey Moor, Garlands and Doveridge to name a few. I realise that they are not on your doorstep, but they're a damn site more accessible than what's available up here in Lancashire ;)

As for the lessons; although costly in the short term, they will pay off if you take on board the advice and practice.

All the best,

Nick

Kingsley Moor,

Oakedge

Doveridge

Garlands

To name four for you....

ETA Nicky beat me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye you are right about a dearth of english sporting compsin your area! The neareast ones seem to be Gloucestershire (Longridge and Westfield), Staffordshire (Oakedge, Kingsley Moor, Garlands) or Oxfordshire (Weston Wood). I thought there was a ground in Worcester but its not showing on the Fixtures page for the next quarter?

Same for me with OT in the Midlands.

I'm sure someone who shoots sporting will be along in a minute.

DT

My only goal for 2014 is to get a classification and to hit 80% more consistently.  Although there are some grounds within driving distance its a shame that i have 5 grounds within 8 miles of my house that are practice grounds only and don't do registered shooting (never been an issue until now though) I don't mind travelling but most of the grounds suggested are 60 to 70 miles away.

Park Farm at Ombersley, West Midlands at Hodnet. Best to check on the CPSA website ,all registered grounds in your area should be on there. I stay in the area sometimes and would guess that Park Farm is probably about 20 miles away and Hodnet about 30.

Try living on the Isle of Wight! I am afraid an hour is pretty average to get anywhere for most people...wait till you get really addicted and want to do two in a day....then you will soon cover the miles...

But hey what else are Sunday's for....

Park Farm at Ombersley, West Midlands at Hodnet. Best to check on the CPSA website ,all registered grounds in your area should be on there. I stay in the area sometimes and would guess that Park Farm is probably about 20 miles away and Hodnet about 30.
Parkfarm..that's the one I couldn't remember. However neither of these grounds have any registered shoots posted on the CPSA website.

60 to 70 miles. I wish my closest OT grounds were only 60 to 70 miles away!!

DT

Parkfarm..that's the one I couldn't remember. However neither of these grounds have any registered shoots posted on the CPSA website.

DT
Sounds like I am being lazy.. It could just be the CPSA website not giving me the required search results by the sound of it. I am just adding dates to the diary and planning how to tell the wife that she wont see me on Sundays, shouldn't be a problem she is very understanding. :blackeye:   

Kingsley Moor,
Oakedge
Doveridge
Garlands
To name four for you....

ETA Nicky beat me!!
Nick & Jem beat me to this. I live in Birmingham and shoot Reg with my husband. We shoot at all of the above great grounds and get to all of them in an hr or so. Also there is Weston wood and Westfield only and hr and bit away.

Being a newbie, I had a bit of a baptism of fire at my first Reg comp....... Certainly a good way of finding out where I was with my shooting and what I needed to do to improve.

DT
Don't think I'll ever forget Park Farm. Lovely ground but 4 clays landing on my car in the car park?? Not on. A warning there for any one visiting the ground.

DT
Greg, Garlands used to have ot, have they stopped it?

That's a shame, I used to like it there!
Les, as Phil said they do have one OT layout for practice but the ground is an ever fading shadow of its former self.

Thursday evening practice used to be rammed (all disciplines). Now it seems that only Steve L's sporting comps can draw a decent turnout.

Its a real shame to see it so run down.

DT

Try living on the Isle of Wight! I am afraid an hour is pretty average to get anywhere for most people...wait till you get really addicted and want to do two in a day....then you will soon cover the miles...

But hey what else are Sunday's for....
Do people actually live on The Isle of Wight?

I thought it was all caravans and pop concerts, and only open in the summer!!  :sarcastic:

Don't think I'll ever forget Park Farm. Lovely ground but 4 clays landing on my car in the car park?? Not on. A warning there for any one visiting the ground.
That is not on!  Did they cough up for the damage?  You cannot exclude liability for negligence which has to be what this amounts to!

Latest posts

Back