Just had a dabble at UT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainspecialboy

Well i have been for a sneaky couple of rounds of UT tonight. I had a quick 25 last Wednesday and managed 19. Went back again tonight and managed 21 then a 22. I have to say that im quite pleased, especially as i have no idea what im doing. All i know is that it is just a smidge faster than DTL.

I was using a hold point about 1M out from the front edge of the trench and central. Does that sound about right?

Hi

if it works for you its right. However imo a specific spot between 3 and 5 m in front of peg 3 from all pegs is usually were the target crossing point is but of course everyone's perception of target acquisition is different. Your scores are credible keep at it.

Ps - the secret imo of ut is the ability to wait until the target has passed your barrel, move to early and you will either move the wrong way as you see the target in your peripheral vision or you will move early in the right direction and miss in front. Stay calm let the target enter your vision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you should say that Ian. The number of times i saw the clay to the left of my barrels and went left only for the clay to scream to the right. I love playing catch-up. I think because im used to DTL with a central trap its just a learning curve. Im going to keep at it though.

Ian

yes moving the wrong way is common in ut, as i say the secret is be calm and let the target out into your vision, perfect that and your in business mate. Were did you shoot it ?

Normanton in Leicestershire. Fantastic little place with some quality shooters to watch and learn from.

Well i have been for a sneaky couple of rounds of UT tonight. I had a quick 25 last Wednesday and managed 19. Went back again tonight and managed 21 then a 22. I have to say that im quite pleased, especially as i have no idea what im doing. All i know is that it is just a smidge faster than DTL.

I was using a hold point about 1M out from the front edge of the trench and central. Does that sound about right?
Good shooting..!!

That is very good shooting for a first time out at UT well done ! The targets at UT are mainly faster than DTL though but I suppose it depends on the scheme you were shooting. If you are shooting the setup with the hard left and hard right in it you did really well because the are zipping across at a fair old rate. As to hold points very personal thing UT is very popular down here and some shooters never move their gun much off the centre of the fosse while others have holds similar to those used in DTL but maybe a bit less extreme some have their gun high others low. Visual hold point is difficult because of the way the targets are thrown from the fosse I just try to have a very soft focus about two  meters out from the edge of the lid and a meter or so high and WAIT until you have seen the target well before moving to shoot it. What ever way you have done it you did well because I have heard some say it is way more difficult to hit UT targets than DTL and of course as said it depends on the scheme some are easier than others.

Ut is absolutely way more difficult than dtl in fact in many ways it is harder even than abt, but don't tell les. Remember at ut you have 5 traps with 5 different target speeds.

Philr is the man you need really for ut questions or advice. I believe Phil has hit a few of them in his career :)

Ut is absolutely way more difficult than dtl in fact in many ways it is harder even than abt, but don't tell les. Remember at ut you have 5 traps with 5 different target speeds.

Philr is the man you need really for ut questions or advice. I believe Phil has hit a few of them in his career :)
 Well I can't really comment too much on UT, only ever shot it twice and it was a long while back, at Bisley as far as I remember. As for it being harder that ABT, well I dunno, just remember that I could not seem to settle with it at that time, it seemed so different to OT. May give it another try at some point though.

Yes Les UT is a bit different to most other forms because of the trap set up... I think. I find I have to look for the target at UT different to the way I look at OT and even ABT. I find with OT I have to have a much more central soft focus than with UT and ABT but UT is definitely the one I find most difficult to see the target because of the way they emerge from the fosse at extreme ends and cross over. Well that's my take on it others who have more experience, or in Iain's case as a new comer, may be able to view it differently. What I would like to say though is well done to him because these scores for a first timer are, again in my opinion, I think not just good but excellent!

Sometimes its better not too know too much. Trap targets all appear somewhere in front and go away from you, simplistic yes but that's all you need to know really. As grounds and traps and schemes and visibility on the day all vary experience is the only thing that will help on the day.

DT

good luck this weekend weather should be ok for you.

I hadn't really considered the targets being at different speeds. There was a low hard right that was going like stink though. I seem to recall someone saying scheme 9 was on but its all gibberish at the moment.

Although UT is NOTHING like DTL, the mental side of DTL certainly helped and i have my routine to keep me calm and focused. The other folks on the squad were /are truly top class so that also helps to keep you sharp.

Oh yes all different speeds as different traps per target same as OT, and this fact alone can throw shooters who are used to one speed dtl and to a degree abt.

Yes your dtl technique / mindset will transfer to the faster stuff the difference required imo is total commitment to the shot, no time to mess about with any kind of sight picture. Gun fit and technique need to be perfect for you and then full concentration on seeing the target correctly then commit to the shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
mr Special boy Sir, once you've tried fast trap, you'll never go back, welcome to the dark side brother!!  :spiteful:

Latest posts

Back