Just bought a Baretta 686 S Onyx, a good choice ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidnightMinstrel

I bloody well hope so now, having just committed myself and bought a used one. :hunter: blimey I hope its as good as it looks in the pics. I Will have to have the stock shortened though, 14 1/2 inches is a tadge too long. Having it sent to a Gun shop near me, hopefully pick it up on Sat. In Time for my Shoot on Sunday..yeah I know I need it fitting etc I just want to try it out....I need a ruddy Shooting vest now!.been waring a club one at the mo,...but now that I have my own Baretta.........hmmmm...Ebay!

The 686 has been a tried and tested gun over a long period, a very good choice mate! Don't rush to get it altered just yet though. Shoot it a few times and have few sessions with a good coach/gun fitter before you even consider having any alterations done.

Great gun very reliable tried and tested action. Do not chop the stock unless you really have to. Try a 10mm beretta pad 1st. If you intend to keep it and want to upgrade it a bit gmk can fit a 682 adjustable trigger unit for just over 100 quid. Just a thought.

Crossed post

Great minds les :)
Seems to happen mate. I think I've seen the gun on the Avalon site, if it is that one it has very nice wood on it. Great gun for the money, should last for years!!!

I bloody well hope so now, having just committed myself and bought a used one. :hunter: blimey I hope its as good as it looks in the pics. I Will have to have the stock shortened though, 14 1/2 inches is a tadge too long. Having it sent to a Gun shop near me, hopefully pick it up on Sat. In Time for my Shoot on Sunday..yeah I know I need it fitting etc I just want to try it out....I need a ruddy Shooting vest now!.been waring a club one at the mo,...but now that I have my own Baretta.........hmmmm...Ebay!
Why not get the vest when you pick up the gun, at least you will be able to try it on!

If you need to shorten the LOP just a little bit, you can purchase a thinner microcore recoil pad from Beretta.

I purchased a .51" .  I didn't feel anymore recoil with the thinner pad.  As long as your stock wasn't cut by the previous owner, it is just a matter of loosening two screws and reattaching.  Beretta makes trap, and skeet/sporting clays microcore pads for their sporting guns, the heights of the pads are the same, just the patterns are a little different.  The field pad is a little shorter in height for the field guns but, available in the different thicknesses as well.

The pads are available in .51",.71",.91" thickness.

I did this for my 692 which came with the .71", and .91" pads.

Congrats :)    looks a nice gun ,

I purchased a 13mm pad to use on mine,

Not sure if its going to stay on though,,  it cost £27 via ebay .

That said try your local dealer they may have cheaper or SH that may do

Also

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=73492

will help you find out how old your gun is

Mart

PS you might want to lock or mark solved on your other threads,  or then again you may just let them run ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
:biggrin: why thank yer kindly folks!...actually, thats a very good Idea, change the Pads...didn't know I could do that...but like Les suggested, I think I'll fire it a few times first and get the feel of it, there are a couple of Gun experts at the club, may ask them to give it a once over etc before I contemplate doing anything to it tbh, but if its something I can easily do myself I'll ask when I pick my Gun up, might get the vest as well, as Les also suggested

Ips...who are GMK.?

You should have bought a Bettinsoli or a Webley & Scott! .... you shouldn't listen to us.

You would have to have very short arms not to get it to fit with a shorter pad.

:biggrin: why thank yer kindly folks!...actually, thats a very good Idea, change the Pads...didn't know I could do that...but like Les suggested, I think I'll fire it a few times first and get the feel of it, there are a couple of Gun experts at the club, may ask them to give it a once over etc before I contemplate doing anything to it tbh, but if its something I can easily do myself I'll ask when I pick my Gun up, might get the vest as well, as Les also suggested

Ips...who are GMK.?
Oh and you will need a case or a slip unless it comes with one, you will also need a cleaning kit.

Oh! Oh! I see trouble ahead!

I hope you didn't promise The Wife the shopping trip down Avalon's way.  :biggrin:

Bur seriously, good choice Midnight. You've had good advice from the forum on this subject.

Enjoy your shooting now, just don't get too caught up in technicalities or it will cost you a fortune!

O

Oh! Oh! I see trouble ahead!

I hope you didn't promise The Wife the shopping trip down Avalon's way.  :biggrin:

Bur seriously, good choice Midnight. You've had good advice from the forum on this subject.

Enjoy your shooting now, just don't get too caught up in technicalities or it will cost you a fortune!
Oh I learned a very long time ago...never EVER promise..Anything! ;)

I had a 686 white onyx for my first gun, it was very reliable.

Had it until two months ago before changing to a DT11.

Back