I worked out why everyone wears shooting vests

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duke748

After putting a few hundred shells through my new gun and just wearing a t-shirt or polo shirt at the weekend just gone,  I understood why people wear those strange shooting vests.

Constantly scrabbling around for shells, and a nice yellow bruise from the recoil led me to order my own on Sunday - Arrived today and will be in use for the next session.

Hadn't really noticed before as had been wearing thick jumpers due to the colder weather on my lessons

Not keen on them myself, never seem comfortable.  I use a pouch instead.  If it's good enough Mr Digweed it's more than good enough for me.

A thick jumper will not stop the recoil, its more likely you are not mounting correctly which is a common problem with new shooters, also your shoulder muscles have not got used to it , a skeet vest does nothing but hold your shells  

Last edited by a moderator:
what balltrap said. Nothing to do with clothing.

Not keen on them myself, never seem comfortable.  I use a pouch instead.  If it's good enough Mr Digweed it's more than good enough for me.
I don't mind skimpy briefs but I really am not into a "pouch"

Who is he ?

what balltrap said. Nothing to do with clothing.

You got jack sh*t to put in it :lol:

Your underpants have a cotton lined gusset  :lol:

Pouch for me also, haven't worn a Skeet vest for a few yrs now.

Agree with the above comments. A vest will not help with recoil any more than normal clothes its only real use is to hold cartridges . If you are bruised you are likely holding the gun wrong or using a game gun shooting clays or something like that . They are great for holding cartridges though . Id be lost without mine

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the above comments. A vest will not help with recoil any more than normal clothes its only real use is to hold cartridges . If you are bruised you are likely holding the gun wrong or using a game gun shooting clays or something like that . They are great for holding cartridges though . Id be lost without mine

Are you a parrot :rolleyes:

I don't think George has a choice  :smile:

Had busy week last, 700 carts through barrels, in vest was the odd cartridge, couple £1 coins, dog poo bag (they get everywhere) tissues (in three of the pockets) debit card! Soft plugs, AAA battery, polo mints, chewing gum, throat lozenge, couple practice score cards, 700 carts and the only thing I felt sore was missing what I though was too many !

So......"skimpy briefs"....mmmm........Tweed maybe?  Bit itchy.....or are they silk lined? I've become rather concerned about you since you gave up trap shooting and took to this game shooting lark!  Then there is the BEATING.....is this an excuse for some kind of kinky sex whilst wearing tweed thongs and scurrying about in the woods??  :lol: :lol: :lol:

So......"skimpy briefs"....mmmm........Tweed maybe?  Bit itchy.....or are they silk lined? I've become rather concerned about you since you gave up trap shooting and took to this game shooting lark!  Then there is the BEATING.....is this an excuse for some kind of kinky sex whilst wearing tweed thongs and scurrying about in the woods??  :lol: :lol: :lol:
what can I say. I like a good beating, preferably in tweed

what can I say. I like a good beating, preferably in tweed
Ha.....I knew it!!!  You're not into this game shooting stuff for the same sort of sport as most of the others!............Mmmm.........or are you???   :lol:

I wore a cartridge pouch once and it constantly felt like it was pulling my trousers down so I stick to a skeet vest. Plus I like to load from the left so I put the required number of cartridges in my left pocket and carry 3 spare in my right pocket in case of no birds, with a pouch there is not this facility.

I wore a cartridge pouch once and it constantly felt like it was pulling my trousers down so I stick to a skeet vest. Plus I like to load from the left so I put the required number of cartridges in my left pocket and carry 3 spare in my right pocket in case of no birds, with a pouch there is not this facility.
Uh?  My pouch has two separate areas but I usually keep lenses, cloth, tiny piece of towel, fags, lighter, sometimes a snack in one part and my cartridges in the other.

Latest posts

Back