How Often Do You Shoot?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Salmon

So, as above really! Just wondering how often people shoot?

I've only done Fareham Sporting, but I had been going every other week when it was on and I considered this to be quite a lot, however obviously it wasn't this weekend (and I was ill).

Makes me wonder that if going twice a month is considered regular of if a large number of you go 3-4 times a month, if not more.

Full range of answers available.

When I started shooting regularly in 2005, I had a lesson with Mark Marshall who asked me how often I shot. I told him about 400 clays per month and he looked at me a bit sadly and said "not really enough"..

The answer is as much or as little as you can/ want to, but 100 clays a week is about the minimum if you have goals of improving.

I believe Ben Husthwaite shot 150,000 shells in one year as a teenager! That's way more than I have shot in 10 years..

I shoot about 11,000 per year, which basically means 2-300 per most weeks. Around 75 competitive shoots per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically twice a week and sometimes three times.  Not because I have aspirations to become the female George Digweed, just because I really enjoy it.  

Two shoots on Sundays and club on Saturdays would be normal for me although any excuse to do any during the week if I get time off.

Not nearly enough...

In winter 125 practice on Saturday sometimes another 50 or so on sunday.

During the season 125 practice on sat and a 100 comp on sunday, occasionally 100 practice during the week.

Your aim in life should be to get rich enough to shoot so often that forums like this don't get on your radar. Seriously though, all depends on what else gets in the way that just can't wait.

As often as we can(wife also shoots) work,hoildays,life permittin. I keep track of what,where and when and its currently 250 a week ish each.

I asked myself this very question just the other day, I shot 7 times last year, I did go to Italy though to make up for my lack of days shooting, to the world zz, so this year I must try harder to get out, I went yesterday to oak edge ( formally shugbourgh) and shot my first 100 sporting in nearly 2 years and finished on a 83 x 100.

When asked by my better half how I got on, I said I was pleased with my score, she said, "see you've still got it, so need to go next week, you can come shopping with me" I was speechless .

I think Tinker's first paragraph sums this all up quite nicely.

Fact is, if you've any ambitions in this sport, at any competitive level, you'll need to put as much lead in the air as you can. You'll also need to get regular coaching/practice etc.

That's why I decided long ago, the shooting is what I do on the way to the pub :good:

To answer your question, in the Winter, I shoot mostly 50 bird sporting, once a week. I'll sometimes do a 100 birder and the occasional bit of skeet.

In the Summer, as above but I'll try to get out around two or three times a month on weekday (evenings) as well.

Most weeks I manage to get out three times I like to shoot a minimum of 100 each outing but hopefully 150

No so much in the winter maybe 200 competition clays a month.

In the summer I plan to shoot 250-300 practice clays not including lessons.

With 400 competition targets a month minimum.

A fella I know shoots over 150 registered competitions per year. I can only assume he has no time to practice as well, but may be very wrong.. :)

Once or twice a week if I can...but this year i have had a proper winter break, only shooting a few times since October, I feel much better for it and more excited about starting the new season. 

Once or twice a week if I can...but this year i have had a proper winter break, only shooting a few times since October, I feel much better for it and more excited about starting the new season. 
Feeling better for not shooting? Should you be in charge of this website? :)

Feeling better for not shooting? Should you be in charge of this website? :)
Oh... you think I'm in charge here... nah - I leave that to you lot. 

Seriously - I usually shoot all the way through, but it takes a lot more energy to shoot in the cold and wet than I was prepared to give this year. I have used the time wisely, I am three stone lighter, healthier... I have made changes to my stock to reflect, and actually feel like I am enjoying my shooting a bit more in the last couple of weeks.  Feel much more prepared for the season. 

Back