How good does a Cartridge bag, need to be?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeet UK

Evening peeps,

So...having now acquired a nice tweed, moleskin troosers, shirt etc...I am now looking to get a cartridge bag and possibly game bag (for me flask n sarnies!).

So...not looking for the best, but what is acceptable, anything to look for and any recommendations?

Cheers!

Brady of Halesowen , I've had one (the same one ) for over 30 years, when my father passed away I inherited his, he'd had his over 50 years, I use his now, as a kid growing up I've seen it wet through, covered in mud, it cleans up. Quality lasts a life time 

Well you will want something that simply smacks of quality, yet is slightly understated

I recommend a   Waitrose carrier bag ( for life)....

;)

I have a number of cartridge bags and carriers that I have collected over the years. 2 of the leather bags, 1 pigskin and 1 hide are both in excess of 60 years old, and although a bit like 'Triggers Broom', some of the smaller straps have been replaced, the main body of both the bag and canvas strap are original. At the end of each season I clean the bags and treat with a leather balm. This has prolonged their life. Drying slowly away from direct heat, when wet, is another ploy too. I was recently given a 100 size leather 'Guardian' bag which sells for around £65 (or less) and it seems to be of reasonable quality. Correctly treated and looked after I can see no reason why it should not last for a good number of years. Oh, and I never use them for clayshooting !

I've got a couple of canvas style 100 ones. Inexpensive.  

But I've got two. 

One with 36 gram 5's and one with 32 gram 6's in. 

Take them both out to the first drive so I've got the right bangers for the birds presented. 

You cannot beat a Royal Mail postman's bag or a newspaper bag as a 'Game' bag.

Alan , last time I checked Brady had been taken over by a firm in Walsall who had inflated the prices and produced bugger all.

I have a few numbers of Walsall craftsmen who are now working out of their Garages or Garden sheds.

Saddlers seem to have gone the way of the Brummigg 'ham Gun Trade.

Get yourself one of the rigid shopping baskets from a charity shop, I have one with a hinged lid which is great for carrying your lunch on the days when you are lunching in a gun room or a barn. I would be careful with some of the lighter coloured canvas cartridge bags, I have seen some that have been used on the black peat moss type soil which abounds in this area, once that gets into the canvas 'weave' it will not clean out and makes the bag look decidedly tatty, leather is certainly easier to keep clean once dried properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan , last time I checked Brady had been taken over by a firm in Walsall who had inflated the prices and produced bugger all.

I have a few numbers of Walsall craftsmen who are now working out of their Garages or Garden sheds.

Pete , that's a shame, I've had my cartridge bag for years, perhaps they were so well made, once everyone had one, they don't need to buy another, thus an ever decreasing market 

Do you prefer the standard  http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/guardian-heritage-cartridge-bag-100carts

Or the Elite   http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/guardian-heritage-elite-cartridge-bag-100carts

Let me know. 
default_sf-wink.gif
I quite like the Elite....are you my secret Santa? :)

The best I have seen was owned by a very well known shooting journalist who was a guest on our shoot. 

He had his cartridges in one of those drawstring bags that we had as wash bags as kids.  It was made of the same waterproof material that shower curtains are made from.  It was a flowery one at that. 

It did go perfectly with the piece of baler twine he used for a dog lead. 

I have 2 croots cartridge bags that are excellent. One of the best features on any cartridge bag is a hinged flap or lid so that it stays open when at your peg. If it's not they can flip back over again making it difficult to grab cartridges mid drive if the flap has folded back over.

On the subject of cartridge bags and I do NOT wish to appear condescending, but can I just warn users of an incident that I witnessed a few years ago. It was a simulated driven game day and I was acting as loader. My 'Gun' had a cartridge bag on the ground in front of him and had filled the pockets of his shooting vest with cartridges. He had insisted that he would load for himself so I was only there to observe safety. Part way through the 'drive' he decided to refill his pockets from the cartridge bag and was bending forwards,  grabbing a handful and stuffing them into his pockets, whilst still watching ahead for his next target. He closed his gun and was about to mount it to his shoulder when I stopped him. I got him to open the gun and remove the cartridges and then look down the barrels, both barrels had been effectively 'plugged' with mud. On bending down to get cartridges from the bag his barrels had stuck into the rising ground in front of him unnoticed. He became a spectator until I returned from my vehicle with a cleaning rod. 

Whatever you buy make sure that the main strap extends around the entire bottom of the bag thereby sharing the load effectively, I was given a cheap bag that isn't made like this and it has already torn where the strap attaches.  As has been said Guardian stuff is good, I bought the Bereta B1Signature bag and it seems excellent but isn't leather so won't wipe clean.

who's bought them Albion Sporting? Their stuff is nice but expensive as you say. 

I have a Walsall saddler who can make you anything you require. He also makes and supplies 'the trade' with leather goods , gunslips, bags, cartridge bags , place finders etc., etc., message me for prices .

Back