How did we shoot.............

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dismal 63 for me at Four Counties and I straighted two stands! Beautiful day for it though

Hi,As I said on the other thread, your 63 will not prove too bad by comparison. When I left at 1.30pm, HG was Richard King on 91 (stunning). The next fella was on 78!! A lot of cards to come in, but I think this shoot had at least one `daft` stand too many. I think they could have eased it off on three stands and still had a great shoot. Too many extreme sim pairs and some stuff in the woods that was very hard to see. The shoot just lacked that great balance that you get at Weston Wood, IMO. I had dropped 21, with one stand to go. Unfortunately it was the hideous stand by the pool shoot, with a 40 yard Battue, sim with a 50 yard midi. 2 ex 8, for a 73. Ouch.. My mate hit 7 ex 8 on that stand; hoisting him up to a 65. Incredible as the master score card showed mainly 2's and 3's on that stand. I have to admit I liked the change of scene, but otherwise wished I had gone to Hornet. CSC3

Ouch, sounds like somebody just wanted to punish not entertain shooters/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif. I managed a very good 91 for HG today, some really good stands, virtually no gimmes and luckily no stars around either./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifGoing to try for the last Oct shoot at Hornet if you are around Clever?

I also shot Four Counties today and managed a 48!! so for my first shoot reg shoot for about 17months I didn't think the final result was to bad. There certainly was some stiff stands there today, I stuggled to see some in the woods so came out of stands 1-3 with a card total of 7. Fortunately stand 4 was 8 ex 8 to double my score. That sim pair of loopers in the field was a 0 on the card, infact when one shooter in front of me hit one he raised his arms and cheered with relief. Othe last stand I hit the battue 3 times but could not get on the midi. We counted up the number of 0 and there was about 10 on the master card.

We also shot four counties today, our first ever registered sporting. I managed a 60 and Wendy 52. So in view of everyones else's comments we're pretty pleased with that. So, I've now had one go at Fitasc 54 I think, and sporting for a 60, think I should stick to skeet:)

The scores are up on 4 counties web site. It shows that it WAS tough. 120 entries and three broke the 85 barrier! I think Hammy's comment was spot on; saying that ground owners are actually meant to be providing entertainment for their clients. The easiest job in the world is to put on an overly tough shoot. When OVER HALF the entry couldnt break 65 you have to wonder what they are thinking .. Statistically, that translates as about 60% of the shooters will be sending in a C class score, whereas the correct number should be max 40% I would expect. CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
Just playing devils advocate how many decent shots were there? Shoots can look tougher if there are less top boys smashing the course up...

With the economy the way it is and many people only now being able to afford to shoot once a fortnight or once a month they will be looking for an enjoyable days shooting with friends.If you provide a difficult shoot where 60% of the entry only shoot 50% of the targets, you will drive your custom away.The ground owners problem is a difficult one, too hard and we moan, too easy we moan.But for pity's sake it should not be difficult to provide 8-10 enjoyable stands, with  hittable targets, and 2 'stinkers' that make you work for every clay, providing a challenge for the better shots.Ground owners you don't have to be a Solomon to think /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifMy local club have been providing a cracking shoot recently for me, but many of the members were only hitting 0-3 on three or four of the stands. Twenty eight away on a sixty bird shoot is not enjoyable I don't care who you are./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-frown.gif

EdSolomons said:

Just playing devils advocate how many decent shots were there? Shoots can look tougher if there are less top boys smashing the course up…
I take your point Ed; not that many AA were there. Alex Cobb 83 and ollie Baker 89 are examples. But this is why I mentioned the lower classes; to illustrate the shoot better. With respect; one of you `top 20` chaps can have a stonker and hit a 95 on a hideous course. It can still be the case that most others hit 7 fewer than their average.. Cheers,CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the payouts on this shoot? With not many AA shots there I was pleasantly suprised that the 1st in Class payout was the same and for 2nd and 3rd as all the other classes. Looking at the scores seems like they averaged out to the winners of their respectable classes quite well in my opinion. For eg -HG = 91AA 1= 89AA 2 = 86AA 3 =  84 and then winner of A is 85 which would suggest they are pushing toward AA status and won there class with that score which is right and then B class winner is 81 which was 3rd in A so that also suggest the same and that can be said for C Class too. Overall this shoot may have seemed hard too some on here but looking at how the scores averaged out at least you do not see someone romping away with a win in the lower classes which a lot of people have complained about lately! Glen.

OK. I will now cement my reputation as a `tough shoot whinger`.EJ Churchill got it wrong today IMO. I should have realised as soon as I got to the reception desk, where a card was being handed in in a scrunched up ball (such was the mood of the shooter). It was an awkward shoot with a lot of fast and/or distant edge-on crossers. Fine, but ZERO consideration given to the horrible gusty wind conditions, making it extra nasty. Paul Batchelor and Fred Townsend were leading on 85 when I left. PB reckoned at least 5 were lost to the wind. My score was too sad to mention.. Whinging CSC3

/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif Two tough ones in a row, hope the next one is a bit nicer for you. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

Third time lucky /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif?? CSC3

Makes my all-day audio conference suddenly feel like a walk in the park... glad I didn't engineer a day out for that one /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Yes, money well not spent!In fairness, it would have been OK if there had been no wind; or OK if they had moved some targets to compensate. When it is really gusty, all you can really do is bring stuff a bit closer I guess.. Here endeth the whinge.. I promise../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gifCSC3

To be fair it is all very subjective as we know. Sometimes 3 or 4 guys have a blinder and put in a gang of huge scores on a hard course and it looks easy, equally a load of good shots can have a bad day (look at Northampton ESP results from Sunday) and make a very shootable course look tough.I suppose that's the great thing about sporting- it can chuck up some surprises.The good thing is (in my mind) it puts class scores back where they should be. If you look at for example Horne, shugborough, Kingsley (unless it's changed drastically in 18months) and some of the more southern grounds there are regularly ridiculous scores in class. This isn't sandbagging; people have a good day on soft targets and can put big scores in. Start setting up a bit closer to how it used to be and it will even out more. When I started a low-mid 90 almost guaranteed hg. There are shoots where a 95 gets you nothing now! We rarely see any real range (and before I get shouted at I know that's what it's all about, but we need the odd long bird!) now, and I think largely speaking we are losing the feel of what sporting should be. It's getting closer to skeet/dtl every year.Tin hat on!

Tin hat on! i'd get one made of steel /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

very true Ed but people want to break clays and that's what they want for their money otherwise the moaners are jumping in!!!! I think people also do not realise how the standard has increased here the standard is so high now also! I mean we are now shooting skeet scores at sporting!!!! Glen.

Weather Divas came up trumps!!! No rain, plenty of wind, and partridges that flew fantastically well!!! 301 French partridge, 3 Pheasants and 1 very high pigeon going like a bat out of hell!! I call 305 a great day :)))))))))/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Back