Home Office proposals and survey - BASC

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very clear explanation giving some of the background. I read the CA news item and couldn't understand why anyone would vote for an increase.

Very clear explanation giving some of the background. I read the CA news item and couldn't understand why anyone would vote for an increase.
Because, if we don't vote for what they have agreed to offer; then we will get what they, or the next administration want.

Am I alone in thinking the proposed rise of £9 for a Shotgun Renewal is not unreasonable?

Morning,

As there hasn't been an increase in 13 years, the renewals uplift seems to be reasonable. I'm not sure what the implications of voting no will be, however I think i'll be fairly committal and vote yes!

As I only have a Shotgun Cert, an increase of £9 over a 5yr period is neither here or there.

An additional question relating to the summary spread sheet of charges what do Game Fair (I understand this may be self explanatory) and Variation specifically relate to?

Churz

M

Last edited by a moderator:
BSSCare the ones who negotiated....not BASC. (Basc are a part of BSSC.....but always grab the credit)

I voted and made a comment.

However I voted for the middle one.

I neither agree or disagree with this increase.

Done.

As a [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]part time [/SIZE]HGV driver I have to pay £75+ every year to sit in a classroom and be bored to death, plus a medical every 5yrs which costs a lot more than the grant of an FAC. So the fees they're proposing to enable me to continue doing something I love are reasonable IMO

Do you have to be a member of a clay target shooting organisation or other shooting federation to shoot clay targets in the UK? I am not talking about registered comps but even just training. Reason I ask is that to shoot clay targets down here in France I have to renew my FFBT licence to shoot clay targets every year at a cost of €48. This licence must be signed and stamped by my doctor and I cannot buy shot gun ammunition with out it! On the face of it, at least, it would appear that in the UK you are getting a bargain! Interestingly, to my knowledge, the police are not involved in the grant of this licence and shotguns may be purchased with the licence. The ownership cert comes form the prefecture so one assumes it is they who do the background search into criminal activities.

You do not have to be a member of any organisation in the UK. Majority of holders are game shooters / farmers etc. Clay shooters are actually in the minority (CPSA about 26,000 plus the other 3 home nations approx 3000 being generous....to Basc's 130,000 + then there are much more who are not in any org). Of course some clay shooters are in both.

There are of course game shooters here who have to renew their licence to shoot every years also. Game shooting is different here you have to pass a test to get the licence..... don't know if safety is a high priority so many hunters are shot and maimed every year you wonder about the mentality of them. All in all though £55 for five years is a ruddy bargain!

You do not have to be a member of any organisation in the UK. Majority of holders are game shooters / farmers etc. Clay shooters are actually in the minority (CPSA about 26,000 plus the other 3 home nations approx 3000 being generous....to Basc's 130,000 + then there are much more who are not in any org). Of course some clay shooters are in both.
Not that it really matters, but how are sure that Clay Shooters are in the minority? 

So unless I've misunderstood, you appear to be stating that all Clay Shooters are CPSA registered and BASC Members only shoot game. Clearly this is not the case................. Just realised you mean all "competitive" Clay shooters don't you? 

It was the usual CA rubbish wasn't it. About as well informed as their pieces on frakking and the Scottish Land Reform

As we cannot comment on the News feed we just have to put up with their ignorant rubbish.

:fie:  Clay shooters are lager louts with shotguns! well thats what the press and public thinks. :crazy:

Not that it really matters, but how are sure that Clay Shooters are in the minority?

So unless I've misunderstood, you appear to be stating that all Clay Shooters are CPSA registered and BASC Members only shoot game. Clearly this is not the case................. Just realised you mean all "competitive" Clay shooters don't you?
Nope. I didn't mean that. And I pointed out that some clay shooters and some Basc shots are also on both counts. But simple figures from memberships show Basc has way more than clay side. Only the organisations have figures showing memberships...so that is a fairly accurate start....but we know also that their are far many more shooters and hunters out there who are not a member of any org (farmers, straw bakers etc etc)Last count was nearly 1,000,000 licenses yet we are lucky to account for less than 200,000.

Hence my initial reply.

This is short version as I am in Waitrose and presuming that those discussing this ...actually know some of the facts

Last edited:
I know a lot of people are anti the price rise on principle, as if it is something against gun owners, but come on people we are talking pennies per week here over a 5 year period.

It is.

And.......when i was on there....they wanted to put it up at £200+ and RFD at about £750..... That was stopped ...but they were not going to go away.

Thin edge of the wedge.

We have so many 'taxes' or 'duties' on us from one side or another....that when they are all added up it is definitely not pennies.

But each must enjoy their own view. 

Latest posts

Back