hold points at a new ground

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyosk

Is there a quick technique for establishing hold points at a new ground. Having just shot UT at a new ground it took 2 dreadful rounds before I started to get a better sense of gun and eye hold points that let me get my timing and rhythm somewhere back to normal ?

Is there a quicker way, or is it trial and error ? Any help gratefully received

D

Simple answer no

every layout every ground is different. Hedge monkeys may think that trap is all the same but ... It ain't. You need to learn every layout on every ground on the circuit to shoot it well. Welcome to competitive trap.

I thought that might be the case, I can see the value in practise days before shoots a new or less frequently shot grounds.

Absolutely. You must learn every ground as there all different.

Hold points are a compromise and will differ with lighting conditions. He who copes best wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear dat! Shot ABT at Rugby yestrday is sunny but blustery conditions with the wind in your face. Some of the high birds were like teal!

While scoring I was watching the shooters hold points and they varied from on the leading edge of the trap house (or even slightly below) to about five feet above!

I tried to stick with my usual HP's (12 inches above the TH) and shot 20, 23, 21 and them bombed with an 17 after the wind picked up on my last line. Missed loads of straightish targets. Gutted as was trying to stick a 2 in front of each line.

Don't forget as well as light conditions, backgrounds vary throughout the year even at the same ground.

By eck this game is frustrating.

DT

Very true... also just saying.

He will be on a beach as we speak with a pair of gold lame speedo's and a pina collada

Very true... also just saying.

He will be on a beach as we speak with a pair of gold lame speedo's and a pina collada
Oh right OK...... but the weather isn't that good in Blackpool at the moment is it Ian!!!!!! :biggrin:

post-54-0-93303700-1380553633.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 0
OK Fred......so it is nice in Blackpool!!!!! Not sure about that drink though Fred......looks rather like water! Not a beer in sight!!!! Not one of those temperance hotels/bars is it Fred?
not blackpool mate. Fred has more taste than that, that my friend is morecambe tis much more up market and speedo tolerant.

not blackpool mate. Fred has more taste than that, that my friend is morecambe tis much more up market and speedo tolerant.
Aha!!!! Morcambe!! The place where those cockle pickers got lost, let's hope Fred doesn't wander off looking for cockles. Best he gets the things from a pub or a fish shop, it's safer! BUT......not whilst he's wearing those gold Speedos though, he could get arrested for wearing such attire.

Nah mate, told you there tolerant of such things tis a veritable hedonistic resort is morecanbe.

Nah mate, told you there tolerant of such things tis a veritable hedonistic resort is morecanbe.
Not like down this way then! We only have Speedos on the dashboards of cars, usually next to the rev counter. Do you think this thread is drifting somewhat Ian? :keeporder:

Hold points are a compromise and will differ with lighting conditions. He who copes best wins.
Is it simply a matter of moving hold points in and out to find that place that works ? I would define works as timing being back to normal ? Then remembering exactly where you held for next time

Latest posts

Back