High Crossers

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Salmon

So today I've shot the best I ever have, my previous best was 15/50, today I hit 32/50 and then 22/50 (I got very frustrated 2nd time out, no other excuses).

My problem today however, was my high crossers, both right/left and left/right. I missed every single one both times which was very frustrating.

Has anyone got any tips on the best way to tackle them? I tried something different both times but was still unable to hit anything, was feeling very dejected afterwards!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Usual caveat of "you can't coach on a forum". But, go back to basics. Touch the clay and pull away until the gap looks right to you. Keep it smooth, gently pulling away from the clay as you fire. If you miss, repeat the process exactly (particularly the speed of gun movement) but try more gap. Or less. Ensure you are reading the line of course. Most crossers are gently dropping too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch what the good shots do, not the bad ones and think i might try something like that.

Stance, kill zone, hold point, pick-up point (target), reading flight line, gun swing (which method) and your approach even before you step into the stand will have a bearing on wether you hit anything or not

As Will says no-one can coach on a forum, as they would need to see you shoot first

Just thought I would nick this thread to mention a weird time yesterday. It was the platform stand at Weston, with a sim pair, but effective first bird was a long high L-R showing full face.

On my last pair, I shot this first bird and it took a moment to fall apart. I actually think I chipped it then it took a moment to crack apart. Anyway, the ref looked away to study the second bird (it all happens quickly as its sim). So, I have hit 8 ex 8 but the ref has scored me 7 as she didn't see the first bird on last pair fall apart. Various onlookers agree I broke it, so she asks me to shoot the pair again. Two kills, but this time, the first bird got the middle punched out of it and rolled on through the sky as a black ring. Some open jaws from the waiting shooters. :)

Sounds like weird cartridge / choke combo stuff I know. But all very isolated. Kills great everywhere else. Just odd!

Thanks gents, I did find a few people did struggle on one of the crossers so it wasn't just me!

That does sound a little odd Will. I have found that some referees are good and ask you to shoot again, yet others just say they didn't see it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think the ref should have asked you to shoot again should have been happy you scored 8 once you were backed up, as for the unusual breaks no idea

I don't think the ref should have asked you to shoot again should have been happy you scored 8 once you were backed up,
That would have made practical sense.. But the rules do state that if the ref cannot be sure if it was hit or not, then the shooter shoots the pair again. This particular ref is a little unusual I find.. Usually stares at the shooters face when calling pull, which can be off putting. Once, at the world champs at EJC, she sent out a report pair of battues the wrong way round for me.. Then asked if I wanted them again when I turned and looked at her. Well, no, as I had hit them, but nice to know what will happen when I call pull next time.

Hi Cory

If its at a local ground, go and shoot the stand again and again until you kill it. once you have the sight picture, try similar stands.

I spent a day at Southdowns doing that

my problem was too much lead, so now i have reduced i'm hitting more

(now the close stuff is escaping .)

:santa:

my problem was too much lead, so now i have reduced i'm hitting more

(now the close stuff is escaping .)

:santa:
I had a problem a year or so ago where I was OK on the middle distance crossers, but was missing the closer faster ones.  Finally worked out that just because maintained lead was working for me on those slightly further out, it wasn't working on the closer, faster targets.  Changed to coming through from behind and pulling in front to achieve the lead and now it's not a problem.  For me, I think using maintained lead on the closer quicker targets meant I was starting too far in front, slowing the gun until I felt the lead was right but then missing behind because the gun speed was wrong as a result.

A good tip which was given to me by Steve Nutbeam who's an excellent coach and ex England shooter and i use myself is: If you miss first double the lead, if you miss it then try straight at it. Your body and mind will automatically make slight adjustments to this but it usually works and it will also stop you missing in exactly the same way as you did the last time.

Try it is does work.

I quite often use the "PEW!" technique (of my own design).

I watch the clay in flight, then just before where I want to break it, I point at it and think "PEW!" as I shoot it.

Then I observe how far the clay has moved by the time I finish the "PEW!"

Think more, conventional cowboy revolver than Han Solo Laser blaster (Shorter "PEW!").

For an average speed of 600 fps with time to target at 0.2 seconds, 40 yard crosser doing 40mph needs about 10 feet of lead.

It takes about 0.2 seconds to say "PEW!"

I am serious and not joking...try it :)

Latest posts

Back