Gun woes, Choke woes just general woes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoracer

Well today was a total write off: 

first of my shooting in 2 weeks has gone from good to total melt down!

Then today I pull the trigger nothing start to lower my gun out of my shoulder..... Bang!! excellent just what I wanted!!

and as if things aren't pissing me off enough, last stand bearing in mind I check my chokes on ever stand I check my chokes squeeze them between my fingers to tighten them as you do and it feels weird look at it can see a crack remove it and it's cracked top to bottom!!

Also looking at where the pins from the action lock into the barrels they seem to be catching excessively i expect and accept they will catch a little.

post-2162-0-51579500-1424042499.jpg

post-2162-0-42395900-1424042500.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 0
I had a light strike on a Velocity today.  Send Nick a PM about the choke (if you haven't already), I would imagine he will be interested.

I had that with a muller on my CG but it didn't just split the choke it blew the extended part of the choke down range.

Sorry to here of your problems.

But at least your ok.

Those pin holes do wear get burred, im sure a service would put it right.

All I can say about the Mullers is I sold mine on EBay, get some titanium chokes.

So if you put aftermarket chokes in a gun under warranty (most good guns off 10 year warranty) and the barrel gets damaged, thats bye bye warranty.

Your looking at £3000 + for new barrels.

Two people in first three posts on here with same problem !!!!

These chokes should be recalled before something serious happens.

Its funny, all the years that I have shot with fixed choke guns this has never happened to me! :crazy:   :crazy:  

As per Nicolas post this can, and does, happen with ANY brand of choke, OEM or aftermarket.

ALL chokes need to be tightened securely EVERY time you use them regardless of brand otherwise you run the risk of gases escaping around the skirt and fahe occurring.

Evo, contact me on [email protected] and I'll get you taken care of, regardless of the cause.

Rosso, for some reason you appear to have a public axe to grind against Muller chokes. Why?

As per Nicolas post this can, and does, happen with ANY brand of choke, OEM or aftermarket.

ALL chokes need to be tightened securely EVERY time you use them regardless of brand otherwise you run the risk of gases escaping around the skirt and fahe occurring.

Evo, contact me on [email protected] and I'll get you taken care of, regardless of the cause.

Rosso, for some reason you appear to have a public axe to grind against Muller chokes. Why?
Nick thanks for the response i'll be in contact later today got a few meetings this morning 

I tighten my chokes every stand.

Every shoot at compak/Sportrap.

It's just part of my routine.
same here I even sometimes check in-between pairs 

I have Mullers in my Browning shot about 5k through it no problems... never use it now however. I don't doubt that the majority of the problems with mobile choke is caused by them not being tight in the barrel. I do think the remains should be forensically examined though to determine why a problem has occurred.

Well today was a total write off: 

first of my shooting in 2 weeks has gone from good to total melt down!

Then today I pull the trigger nothing start to lower my gun out of my shoulder..... Bang!! excellent just what I wanted!!

and as if things aren't pissing me off enough, last stand bearing in mind I check my chokes on ever stand I check my chokes squeeze them between my fingers to tighten them as you do and it feels weird look at it can see a crack remove it and it's cracked top to bottom!!

Also looking at where the pins from the action lock into the barrels they seem to be catching excessively i expect and accept they will catch a little.
It's Karma mate.

You shot a blinder at Greenfields a few weeks ago when everyone else had a mare! 

It's Karma mate.

You shot a blinder at Greenfields a few weeks ago when everyone else had a mare! 
I'll take that....... but the CPSA still threw that score in the bin as it wasn't within the % hit at Horne ridiculous!!

Aftermarket chokes in a gun under warranty which cause a problem with the gun will invalidate the gun warranty. Or is this covered by the after market choke warranty!!

If the after market choke damages an old gun is this covered by the choke warranty and what time period would be acceptable for this.

Does age and fatigue (lots of shells through it, whatever the make) play a part.

Just asking.

this was the only round disk like object I broke well yesterday.

I studied materials engineering and destructive testing as part of my HND am I going to investigate this choke...... nope I trust Nick to sort the issue and that'll be the end of it!

post-2162-0-01306300-1424081794.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Aluminium is never going to be as strong as stainless steel ,whatever you do with it!

+1 on the making part of the routine.  I do it when I first get into the stand and feel like I have forgotten something if I don't.

Back