Gun storage when out and about

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wristycone

Good evening all,

I was just hoping to see what the consensus was about travelling with shotguns. When attending events and competitions across the country, I can imagine it will be beneficial to stay over at hotels etc. What do people tend to do about storing their guns when this occurs? I was hoping for something more constructive than 'sleep with it under the pillow' which a colleague of mine suggested.

Thanks,

Phil

Take stock into hotel room and hide in suit case leave barrels hidden as good as possible in car if trigger is detachable remove and keep on person. Imo there is no better way to do it. Yes half your gun could get nicked but at least it's un usable.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an aside I remember the days before cabinets were required when my gun was kept under my bed. Unbelievable to think of now, and that's only thirty years ago.

Thanks all. I had something like this in mind but was thinking of sticking the trigger lock on as well.

Is there any onus on us to inform the hotel that we have it? I'm sure I read about an athlete in the commonwealth games getting a rude awakening by armed response, after hotel staff gave them a call.

Not aware of any such requirement myself and certainly never been asked but I usually use hotels or b&b close to ground as they are used to shooters in fact in such hotels you usually find other shooters staying so one can bore the pants off the Mrs by lengthy shooting related discussions with said other shooters for the duration of your evening. All jolly good fun :)

My better half also shoots, so will not have to worry about her being sat bored when swinging the lamp.

Many thanks.

Take stock into hotel room and hide in suit case leave barrels hidden as good as possible in car if trigger is detachable remove and keep on person. Imo there is no better way to do it. Yes half your gun could get nicked but at least it's un usable.
Similar to IPS but I run a cycle type cable lock through the barrel and attatch to a strong point in car. Makes life more difficult for casual thief who must be hard up to want to take my car!.

Thanks all. I had something like this in mind but was thinking of sticking the trigger lock on as well.

Is there any onus on us to inform the hotel that we have it? I'm sure I read about an athlete in the commonwealth games getting a rude awakening by armed response, after hotel staff gave them a call.
It isn't a gun if it only half a gun. Put the stock/action in your luggage and say nothing.

If you walk in with a gun case, or some obvious brand name emblazoned all over your kit...You are asking for trouble.

Skeet is spot on.

Also do not leave your range bag or cartridge box or shooting jacket in view.

Concur with the above.

On a similar subject, I'm also always a bit worried for people who have "CPSA" or "BASC" or "Browning" (or any other Gun or cartridge brand) emblazoned across their car. Said cars often to be seen in country pub car parks on a Sunday lunchtime.........

Surely that's just asking for trouble?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back