Gun fitting options

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am at a bit of a loss to understand how or why a semi auto fits but an O/U doesn't ? I am suspecting 'gun mounting', although the Miroku guns are a touch lower than the 'average' sporter. That is where the gunfitting thing comes in, usually over a few different targets to enable the fitter to watch your gun mounting. If there is a problem, that needs sorting,  before any alterations can be considered.

I am at a bit of a loss to understand how or why a semi auto fits but an O/U doesn't ? I am suspecting 'gun mounting', although the Miroku guns are a touch lower than the 'average' sporter. That is where the gunfitting thing comes in, usually over a few different targets to enable the fitter to watch your gun mounting. If there is a problem, that needs sorting,  before any alterations can be considered.
Hi, some of the semi-auto i have tried have shim plates between the stock and receiver which have the effect of altering the comb height.

I have a benelli montefeltro that fits me well but its not a clay gun.

But having said that I cannot get the winchester or browning semi-auto's to fit even with all the shims fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, some of the semi-auto i have tried have shim plates between the stock and receiver which have the effect of altering the comb height.

I have a benelli montefeltro that fits me well but its not a clay gun.

But having said that I cannot get the winchester or browning semi-auto's to fit even with all the shims fitted.
I shoot a Miroku MK10 Trap gun for all my sporting clays. I use a Beretta 391 with the standard (65mm ?) plate in for a lot of instruction work and for my pigeon shooting. I use a Beretta 303 for skeet and of late my sporting shooting, (again standard drop plate) and last but not least, a S x S for game shooting. Because I am primarily a game shooter who later took up clay shooting, I am a "keep the head still and bring the stock up to shoulder and cheek" gun mounter, I do not 'drop' my head to stock, something a lot of clay shooters do (hence the need for a higher comb). As a result all of these guns fit me straight from the box, once I get the LOP to 14 1/2". The only change being to alter the pitch on the Miroku to adjust the shoulder fit and an Isis pad fitted. I struggled with the current Winchester/Browning auto's though, the stocks just never felt right and I could not live with all of the clunking and clanking of their actions (bit like the Benelli really). There is a difference between the 'field' and the 'sporting' stock configurations on the Berettas', the field version being the slimmer and lower comb model. If you find a Beretta auto that you can shoot with, get the stock measurements and write them down, then compare with the Miroku. I would still seek out a good stock fitter though !

bit of an update to this story.

I contacted Michael Smart  of Trade Secrets who was really helpful. He told me unfortunately a 6mm bend is too much as he explained the could be a problem with the stock bolt.

I bought the Beretta gel-tek stock pad this helped but it effected the CAST too much and had a habit of unfolding itself off the stock probably due to an oiled stock ?

So i bought the isis contoured comb raiser this really fits well and does the job very nicely and has minimal effect on the CAST.

Thanks all for the advice.

bit of an update to this story.

I contacted Michael Smart  of Trade Secrets who was really helpful. He told me unfortunately a 6mm bend is too much as he explained the could be a problem with the stock bolt.

I bought the Beretta gel-tek stock pad this helped but it effected the CAST too much and had a habit of unfolding itself off the stock probably due to an oiled stock ?

So i bought the isis contoured comb raiser this really fits well and does the job very nicely and has minimal effect on the CAST.

Thanks all for the advice.
So you did what I told you not to, then did what I reckoned. ? Happy shooting?

......... If you find a Beretta auto that you can shoot with, get the stock measurements and write them down, then compare with the Miroku.....
Thank is exactly what I did, but fitted the 391 to the MK60 measurements; and it works for me

Back