Got my gun!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoB1

Well,

My coach found & bought a gun for me today, a 682 trap gun. 3/4 & Full chokes, adjustable comb & trigger, dark walnut wood.

Going to Fauxdegla for practice on Saturday, then 100 dtl on Sunday, cannot wait!!  :nyam:

Coach is holding onto to it until Saturday for me, will put up pics when I get home Saturday. Woot!

The 682's were possibly the best gun Beretta ever made! OK I know the DT10 was a great gun, but the 682's were produced/sold in huge volumes and very few people that I know had much in the way of problems with them. I had two 682X's at one time or another, ejector timing was the only real issue I had, it happened on both guns, but easily and quickly rectified. Those 682X's were possibly one of the best DTL guns ever made. The flat rib guns were used more by the guys who shot fast trap, which I didn't do much of when I got my 682X's. Enjoy your new gun, if looked after properly it will still be shooting when you are long dead!

So tried the gun at Fauxdegla today, absolutely love it. Coach set the stock exactly as the standard 682 trap I had ben using for lessons, fits well (as far as i can tell).

Was very windy today, made all clays drop really fast, especially far right clays on DTL. So I struggled a little there at first, at stands 4 & 5 in particular. I guess I was getting used to the gun a little also. But got into the swing of things more after a while. Shot the clays a little earlier and got under them more. I had to stand a little wider (front foot slightly more forward) to help balance me in the wind (one of the DTL layouts is under a roof with no sides or back). Barrels were getting blown all over the place. I also moved my feet so my front foot was pointing basically straight out from stand 5, it helped alot.

Still shot 19, 20, 23 & 24 DTL (with maybe 5 2nd barrels in each), so that is 86 kills. If I can get 80+ kills tomorrow, that is the target. (I can worry about reducing the amount of 2nd barrels once Im hitting them all!). (Coach says I need to shoot a few 25's at DTL before I get a go at OT or UT, so that is another incentive.)

Shot approx 100 sporting targets also, maybe hit 60% or so? Hard to tell as we werent keeping track. Two birds in particular (both left to right crossers, dropping really fast!) I had about 10 goes at each before I hit them, so without those I did ok. Shot a few on the compac layout too, that is fun. (Must try doing an all-round comp soon, they look like great fun. Although I need alot more practice at sporting, & skeet in particular.)

So time for bed, up earlyish to head back to Wales for 100 DTL, my first reg shoot since joining cpsa. We're first squad out in the morning, cant wait!

(Just took some pics, but they are blurry so Ill have another go tomorrow)

Never shot DTL before but it looks like you are doing well at this! I wonder about the second barrel hits, I find them more difficult than first barrel at ABT, OT or UT but this might be something to do with the speed of the clay being a bit faster. Any way you look to be doing well keep it up and let us know when you hit the first 25 if you can start better you will smash the 90 barrier never mind 80! you hit 47 for 50 on the last two rounds, do that in the first two and that's 94! Wow I can add :) Over and above all though enjoy it do not come away disappointed because you shot 79 in your first competition!

Thanks for the encouragement John! Had a blast today (pun intended)

Shot 18, 21, 22, 23 today with 16 2nd barrels for 84/242. Pretty happy with that!

Bad start, I was nervous and quite tense, kind of snapped at a few and was shooting high. I was mounting my gun quite low in my shoulder, seeing too much rib and then shooting high. But I was more relaxed from then on.

So I shot better yesterday, in much windier conditions (today was very calm) but it is much harder to do in competition. Glad to have this one under my belt. THe others in the squad (all members of Arnolds club) shot well, with a 95 for 2nd in B, and a 90 for joint 1st in C.

Shot 50 UT after lunch too, Arnold, Nick and I. Plus two other chaps. Man, they are fast targets! I didnt really know where they were coming from, or where they would be going (sounds obvious, but I mean, I didnt know they all basically pass through the centre from different angles). Great fun though, so fast paced, with everyone moving, really exciting! Shot 8/25 & 12/25 (with maybe 6-7 2nd barrels out of that) so not too bad. Nick shot 22/25 then left, Arnold shot 49/50, with 1 2nd barrel.

Arnold also runs a high gun comp (kills only) just for us, and gives people a handicap based on previous scores. Everyone starting gets a 30 bird handicap so I got 114 kills after handicap! So I got high gun (next was 107, then 103), and 4 boxes of shells. Including a box of 24gr Fiocchi trap shells. Looking forward to using these, I understand that you cant miss with them (as long as you put them in the right place... true story  :good: ).

Next comp is on the 8th sept (another 100 dtl at Fauxdegla), so going to try get out for practice the next couple of weekends, and then stay in the 80s for the comps, with more 1st barrels. #hooked

Well done you had a good day! As I say never shot DTL before but I do know about ABT, UT and OT a bit because I have tried all of them out OT is definitely the fastest trap discipline and the best in my very inexperienced opinion, ABT and UT are both fast too! Strangely I found OT a better format than UT and ABT mainly I think because you don't need to think about gun holds as each set of traps is directly ahead. I just hold my gun slightly off to the right that lets me see the right-hander, I say see it but they move so damned quick you really have to be on your toes to see them and then shoot them. About your gun mount try mounting an empty gun in the house in front of a mirror and mount the gun looking straight ahead at yourself. You should see yourself looking straight back with your eye just over the rib, do it ad nauseam, you will sort it out. Best of good shooting for your next outing!

Thanks @Redders, I might keep posting about my progress if people like it. What I learn, my ups & downs, tips/observations that may help fellow beginners etc.

(Sort of a noobs version of @Fuzrat 's excellent skeet diary!)

Out to Fauxdegla for DTL practice on Saturday, then 30 bird sporting at Rixton on Sunday, then 100 sporting at Manchester on Monday. Flat out!

Bob, speak to Matt R (admin) sure he can hook you up with blogging privileges ;)

Thanks @Redders, I might keep posting about my progress if people like it. What I learn, my ups & downs, tips/observations that may help fellow beginners etc.

(Sort of a noobs version of @Fuzrat 's excellent skeet diary!)

Out to Fauxdegla for DTL practice on Saturday, then 30 bird sporting at Rixton on Sunday, then 100 sporting at Manchester on Monday. Flat out!
My god you certainly keep the barrels hot! I also like to hear how new shooters are progressing. I am also quite enthusiastic about my shooting and it is nice to be able to report an improved score now and again. I have a chance to gauge how much better I am, if any, since the start of the season next week when we have our annual club competition. I do not know what form it will take. I am hoping it will be either 50 or 100 ABT targets just have to wait and see. Any way the season ends at the start of September and its a long wait until February! I will be doing some shooting at a ground that is open all year but will only shoot every other week, its a fair trek there and back. Well good shooting!

Latest posts

Back