Fuzrats Skeet Diary

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your scores seem to be lifting Fuz. Is that as a result of particular changes or getting more accustomed to the discipline?

Your scores seem to be lifting Fuz. Is that as a result of particular changes or getting more accustomed to the discipline?

Very good question that probably deserves to be blogged :)

I think its a bit of both, I liked to track my targets when sporting and as you know thats not the best thing to do in skeet. As I'm getting more settled into it I'm starting to back myself to pull the trigger instead of hanging on to make sure.

Technically, I'm starting to swing with my legs and hips a lot more giving me a flatter smoother swing without my trademark drop of the shoulder. I'm also making a big effort to keep my head on the stock and finish the shot off, especially on the singles.

Mindset has changed quite dramatically too since I got the two 25 straights, I know I can do it now. When I first started there were a couple of birds that made me a bit jittery (H2, L5+6 and both on 4) I am a lot more confident on these now and my misses have gone from being consistently those birds to pretty much anywhere. 

Obviously the more you do something the more you tinker with things and find out what works for you, being more accustomed to skeeting is a big part of the rise in scores.

I have adjusted my hold points and look points to suit me and it seems to be paying off. The Bender cheat sheet was a great starting point but I have evolved it around how I shoot. Much as I enjoy skeet, I don't want to forget everything I ever knew and become a Bender-bot, I still enjoy my sporting and the live stuff :)

I have also changed some of my mental routines. I used to be watching everything, as you do when something is new. Now all I really watch is the guy in front of me on 4, just to see how they are flying at that point of the round and make my decision on high or low first in the double. I think I'm a lot more relaxed on the field because of it.

Due to Mrs Fuz videoing me on a few rounds I know it takes me between 2.5 and 3 minutes to shoot a full round of 25, not a lot of time. If I can be relaxed for the rest of the time I only have to be at peak concentration for between 10 and 12 minutes for the 100. Even my wandering mind can manage that.

All little things that various people have mentioned to me and I've worked out but put together are making a big difference. I think this is going to be a lot like golf, easy to get down to a mid teen handicap, some graft needed to get to high single figures then an almighty push to shave off those last few strokes or hit those last few clays in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant the question and answer should go on the blog too as it is open to non members who may not read it here ;) If you look at the bottom of a particular post on my blog you will see a comments section this keeps any comments relevant to that post rather than a disjointed thread :) comment all you like mate :D

New entry of this weekends trials and tribulations is up  :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
From the A Team "I love it when a plan comes together" :D done some hard yards and had some brilliant advice from many people both on here and off. Paul Fallon deserves a lot of credit for this one, he did say when I had a lesson with him that scores will dip then it will click when the changes become natural. As I said on the blog it wasn't perfect, there are still big challenges ahead and one shoot doesn't make the man.

Onwards and upwards, the mindset has certainly changed and this is a mere springboard to greater things I hope :)

Hey Fuzrat.......tell them what Olympic Skeet is like...............!

Best regards and nice to see you last Sunday,

Bob M

Fast and hell on earth :laugh: still getting over the trauma to put the O skeet on the blog. Thanks for reffing us Sunday, was great to have an Olympic qualified ref to guide us through it :)

Back