Flying with Monarch Airline

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Tyred

Just a heads up for anyone contemplating flying with a gun with Monarch.

Monarch will happily carry 'sporting firearms' with the usual additional fee for 'sporting equipment'. However during the on-line booking stage you book you gun as 'sporting equipment' only and the website advice merely says arrive at the airport early with the appropriate documentation (licence, euro permit, etc) and staff will check docs and fill in the necessary paperwork.

What the website does not say is you must call Monarch before you fly to advise them that the 'sports equipment' is actually a 'sporting firearm' so they can add this to your booking information so the airport knows beforehand that you are coming with a gun! Crucial bit of information that.

Should of added that I know of someone that turned up at the airport without letting the airline know and it was a devils game to get his gun on the plane and the pilot had to give specific permission to put the gun on board. 

He could have refused!

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
i was under the impression that the pilot had to give specific permission on all flights as they have the right to refuse to carry anything?

i am pretty sure it is on the manifest and that has to be signed off by them.

No idea of the rules but if the airline has accepted the booking (knowing there is a firearm) I would guess the pilot would be obliged to carry it, whether he wanted to or not. Its the not knowing there is a firearm coming until the last minute that is the potential problem and then I guess the pilot has the last call.

DT

I believe schmokkin is correct, the pilot is king and can refuse anything or anybody he likes for any reason he likes.

I believe schmokkin is correct, the pilot is king and can refuse anything or anybody he likes for any reason he likes.
I bet the Pilots don't have a list, like an Ips list, or they would be flying planes around empty?

Merry Christmas Ips to you and your family, from me and No.1TD!  :thumbsu:

i was under the impression that the pilot had to give specific permission on all flights as they have the right to refuse to carry anything?

i am pretty sure it is on the manifest and that has to be signed off by them.
Nicola always used to say so and used to get confirmation from the pilot that her gun/guns had made it on board though probably via the purser.

I bet the Pilots don't have a list, like an Ips list, or they would be flying planes around empty?

Merry Christmas Ips to you and your family, from me and No.1TD!  :thumbsu:
and a merry Xmas to you and yours my good friend

kindly pass my good wishes onto TD

PS

Ii I was a pilot I would not allow anyone up the steps wearing anything maroon.

just saying

The Captain has to sign the NOTOC which must be annotated with a description of the type of firearms carried.He can refuse to carry it, but that would be unusual. He has to be aware of what is in the holds at all times. This is heavy regulated as are the carriage of dangerous goods.

There are good reasons why he has to know what is on board. An example would be flying LHR - Johannesburg and having to do an emergency diversion into Kinshasa in the DRC. The NOTOC ensures the Captain is compliant with all regulations.

Think the airlines are all different TBH.

I only have experience of 2 differing airlines - British Airways and United Airlines.

BA - Are a right royal PIA - require 72hrs notice minimum of firearms and ammunition and will not allow it to be done via the usual booking page. They have no direct e-mail to customer service and if you try you just get a "please phone customer service" reply. When you do its your typical call centre type affair. on the two occasions i have used them the person on the other end of the phone "wigs out" and trying to be certain its booked onto the outbound and inboud flight has proved a nightmare.

United - on the other hand. Nothing on their website about notification or booking in of sporting goods - so i phone the USA and explain i am flying from the UK and will be bringing a shotgun and ammunition. Get the reply "no need for notice - all our check in staff globally are trained to deal with this directly at the desk. Just arrive in plenty of time sir".

Got to say that it was a much better experience with United and where possible price and flight options i would now take them instead of BA.

I picked up on Nicola's trick of checking the gun is on board at the gate. I just make a note / mark on my copy of the luggage tag and last minute before i board i simply hand the tag to the person at the gate and ask them to check that luggage tag has been safely loaded as its a priority item. 

To BA's credit on my first flight the loading crew came on board and found me to inform me my gun was safely onboard - much the the wide eyed looks of all the passengers  sat around me........

Just a heads up for anyone contemplating flying with a gun with Monarch.

Monarch will happily carry 'sporting firearms' with the usual additional fee for 'sporting equipment'. However during the on-line booking stage you book you gun as 'sporting equipment' only and the website advice merely says arrive at the airport early with the appropriate documentation (licence, euro permit, etc) and staff will check docs and fill in the necessary paperwork.

What the website does not say is you must call Monarch before you fly to advise them that the 'sports equipment' is actually a 'sporting firearm' so they can add this to your booking information so the airport knows beforehand that you are coming with a gun! Crucial bit of information that.

Should of added that I know of someone that turned up at the airport without letting the airline know and it was a devils game to get his gun on the plane and the pilot had to give specific permission to put the gun on board. 

He could have refused!

DT
Although it does not say you must call, the bit where it says, We recommend that you call our.............................................it might be a good idea to do that though. :smile:
Sporting Guns
£25.00 (GBP) / €35,00 (EUR) per set, per sector when you pre-book.
£30.00 (GBP) / €42,00(EUR) per set, per sector if paid at airport.

Upon payment of a Sports Equipment fee, passengers are entitled to transport one Sporting Gun. Any additional weight will be charged at excess baggage fees.

Passengers wishing to carry sporting guns are advised the following:

• Guns must be dismantled or rendered inoperable (e.g. firing pin removed).
  • Guns must be carried in a suitable case.
  • A shotgun license or police certificate must be carried by the passenger and shown on request.
  • Guns are carried to relevant charges being paid
  • Please allow additional time for check-in, as enhanced check-in and screening measures may apply.
  • We recommend that you call our Customer Services team here to ensure a message is added to your booking confirming the carriage of Sporting Guns. 
All sporting guns will be hold loaded and Airport Security Staff will usually check all of the documentation at check-in stage.

Cartridges will be carried subject to the following:

• As checked baggage (hold loaded) securely boxed cartridges in quantities not exceeding 5 kilos gross mass per person for that person’s own use.
  • Allowances for more than one person must not be combined into one or more package.

Bloody hell, missed that Doh!

Alternatively that line could have been added in the last couple of days following my conversation with Customer Services on Monday about there being no instruction to call them :)

Hats off to them. They have reacted quickly.

Happy Christmas

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back