First Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you give The Gun Shop, Botley Mills a try as they have got new and second hand guns plus cartridges, clothes and lots of things shooting related. As the name says their in Botley, Hants so not far from Pompey just up the M27 J7.

Post code SO30 2GB, Hope this helps

Have a look through these: 

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/DealerSearch/Shotguns/Hampshire 

Most list their guns for sale, make a list and away you go. So far, we know you want a Single Trigger Over/Under at about £300 or so. Have you had any other thoughts ie: 

Barrel length 28"/30 or 32"? 

Multi Choke or Fixed?

Sporter or Trap?

Stock Length or the Length of Pull (normally just under 15") 

Magnum and/or Steel proofing? 

Happy Shopping! 

I'm fairly new to shooting bought my first gun back July of last year. I had a budget of £300 I found a lanber sporting 28" barrels with a left cast stock which I thought was ideal being left handed and have only shot guns in the past left handed.

Spoke to a few people at work who are big into shooting they advised me against it but was told different by family who shoot and my local gunsmith.

Anyway me and my father inlaw made the 120 mile round trip to this gun shop in Essex and we had a look I dry mounted the gun and it seemed to fit a lot better than what I'd been shooting.

I bought the gun payed the bloke £300 cash included in the sale I got a brand new gun slip and a full set of chokes in a nice tidy case and a choke key. I really couldn't be much happier with it seems to be fairly reliable and I seem to shoot fairly well with it as well.

Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MC sporter for £300 bargain!

Interested as to why the "big into shooting" we're against it ( because its cast on? Are you left eye dominant?)

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer I got was it's crap go and buy a Winchester or a beretta or a newer lanber for twice the price that a mate of theirs was selling and I couldn't afford and being a lefty I'd limit my market if I came to sell it.

Sorry the answer to your question on eye dominance yes I'm left eye dominant

Ross

Sounds like you did better to ignore them, finiding decent LH guns is a pita ;)

I think your right there. I did look and there wasn't much in the way of left handed guns.

Oh right I take it your right eye dominant then

Hi Cory,

Take your time,  try many guns before you commit to buy :)  

Dont buy the first gun you can, although i know the urge can be overwhelming.

What is the make of the gun you currentkly shoot with ?

:santa:

I honestly don't know Martin, it doesn't have any brand markings and is around 25 years old Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OK you got me puzzled there!!! If it has no brand markings on it, what does is state on your SGC and how do you know it's around 25 years old? Just curious really !!!

I honestly don't know Martin, it doesn't have any brand markings and is around 25 years old Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK you got me puzzled there!!! If it has no brand markings on it, what does is state on your SGC and how do you know it's around 25 years old? Just curious really !!!
Sorry lets explain. Its not on my certificate, is on my step-fathers, I only use it when we are together. I couldn't find any markings but i would have to look again.

I know its really old as it was his fathers gun :)

Sorry lets explain. Its not on my certificate, is on my step-fathers, I only use it when we are together. I couldn't find any markings but i would have to look again.

I know its really old as it was his fathers gun :)
Ah I see! Anyway, as an old timer I can tell you that you should not buy any gun that does not have a good reputation! In other words try to get a Beretta or a Browning/Miroku. OK you will pay a little more for those guns than you would for a budget gun, however the re sale value will be better and it is more likely to be more reliable too. I was given that tip a long while ago, but I chose to ignore it and my first gun was soon history!!! I was lucky that the dealer took pity on me and gave me back what I'd paid for the gun, in part exchange for a proper gun! That first gun spent so much time having warranty work done on it that I reckon it spent half the three months I had it, being worked on by a gunsmith!!! It was truly awful and I should never have bought it!! So for a few quid extra I could have had the gun I replaced it with, a Browning Citori, it never failed and it was a great gun!

Good news! I found out what the gun was today! It's a Mikoku 6000 Sporter Grade 3, has had some custom engraving done on a new stock, only found out as I had the original fitted today :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barrel length 28"/30 or 32"? 

Multi Choke or Fixed?

Sporter or Trap?

Stock Length or the Length of Pull (normally just under 15") 

Magnum and/or Steel proofing?
Well, I'm going to have to ask!

What's the difference between Sporter and trap guns? What difference does 30" make vs 28"? What is magnum and/or steel proofing?

Sorry..!

Well, I'm going to have to ask!

What's the difference between Sporter and trap guns? What difference does 30" make vs 28"? What is magnum and/or steel proofing?

Sorry..!
This is a rather large subject and you will find a wealth of info about it on this forum. Basically trap guns have higher stocks and tighter chokes that sporters, however not all trap shooters use very high stocks and not all sporting shooters use low stocks. My stock is set quite low for a trap gun, I have deep cheek bones so a very high stock would make the gun shoot too high for me. As for barrels, well its really down to personal preference at the end of the day, most trap guns have 30 or 32 inch tubes, sporters will have 28, 30 or even 32 inch tubes. It is generally thought that longer barrels handle slower, BUT....that is not always the case at all, barrel weight will also influence how fast or slow a gun handles, so will the balance of the gun.

Do a search on the forum, you will see all manner of different stuff and opinions about this subject!!! Have fun!!!

PS, dont worry about magnum or steel proofing, it is not of much importance to clay shooters!

Latest posts

Back