Extended chokes on Maxum seized?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 i don't suppose chucking a couple of boxes of shells through the gun - straight off - then trying to undo the chokes would be any good? The heat may free them up and they would be hot.

Tried it, put some power reds through it, always good for some heat!

We all had a good pull and tug but no result?

You didn't get the "Limited Edition Left Handed Thread" chokes did you?    :lol:

Actually, I think those were only supplied in the Southern Hemisphere  as it's the same way that the water runs down out of the bath so they wouldn't work North of The Equator (Allegedly!) 

Got to CG no one there?

Going for the deisel option.

I like the rubber wrench idea but I don't think it will fit between the two chokes?
Always best to phone first as they do a lot of shows and demo's etc. Mike is very helpful, I'm sure he'd be happy to help as you're so close by.

If you leave the chokes IN and only clean the barrels,you will get this problem. I always REMOVE the choke tubes and clean the gun after a days shooting, seems common sense to me  :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
when you get them out of the derv degrease them so your tool/key/wrench gets a good purchase

My summit wont fit in the cabinet with chokes in so guess its good in a way hope you get it sorted topdraw 
Mine too Luke (32" Challenger) 

Also, as the complete gun (in a normal slip) won't fit in the boot of my car,  I also have to take the gun down to fit it into a old "Leg O'Lamb" slip I use, But the leg of lamb slip was made for a 30" gun, so the chokes always come out at the shooting ground in any case. 

extended chokes are normally fairly easy to get out. i got a beretta optima choke that had been in for 5 years.out the other week. you need to put something inside the choke which is a tight fit .i use a 1/2 drive socket then i use a pair of knipex cobra pliers on the outside. never had one defeat me yet.

extended chokes are normally fairly easy to get out. i got a beretta optima choke that had been in for 5 years.out the other week. you need to put something inside the choke which is a tight fit .i use a 1/2 drive socket then i use a pair of knipex cobra pliers on the outside. never had one defeat me yet.
This reply has made my day. .  :blink:

Choke update!

One is out but the other is still not moving, back into soak she goes.

Thanks to all the diesel tipsters, half way there.

Think I will need two new chokes tho?

Second one is now out but it took some serious force!

The two chokes are wrecked, think I will remove them after every shoot,

Any aftermarket choke recommendation and a good choke lube?

Teague extended chokes could be an option and the little tubs of blue grease he supplies with them is very good I've had no problems with either and a great service from them

All chokes are the same really regardless of what anyone says. Some are lighter, some are heavier and some have what appears to be interesting technology. My own opinion is that you wont go far wrong with the chokes supplied by the manufacturer be that Guerini or Beretta or whoever. A couple of new Guerini chokes won't set you back too much and then you retain the look and feel  as well as steering clear of any aftermarket issues should anything happen.

Regarding taking them out after every shoot.....of course you should. I know lots of people who don't do this and lots who don't clean their guns, but again in my opinion, the absolute minimum after a shoot is a couple of runs with a boresnake, chokes out, clean them and store the gun without any chokes in. 

Lastly, if you do go aftermarket, teague are very very good and the blue grease is amazing. So good in fact that I bought lots of it!!

There was some rust residue present,  will def leave them off the gun when in the cabinet.

Last gun was fixed so def some learning for me, won't be doing that again.

cheers guys some great tips!

I only have one gun with chokes and i just use normal gun grease on them and give them half a turn out when put in the cabinet. I also clean them insitu so as not to get any muck in the threads or the internal shoulder that they sit on. After cleaning they can be removed, given a wipe over, then a clean dab of grease rubbed over them and put back loosely.

Live and learn eh!

As for replacement chokes, thats 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. They are all of a muchness and all do the same job. Some people swear by this or that make, but mostly it comes down to cost. Given the choice i would go Teague. But if offered others i would not refuse any.

Second one is now out but it took some serious force!

The two chokes are wrecked, think I will remove them after every shoot,

Any aftermarket choke recommendation and a good choke lube?
Muller chokes and regular cleaning.

There's a good recommendation. 

The choke key supplied with your Guerini as a thread chaser . Remove the screw on cap to reveal thee threaded portion, screw into the barrel to remove carbon / dirt in the barrel threads. Refit genuine Guerini chokes , lubricated , to avoid any issues with your guarantee .

Latest posts

Back