EvoE to 692 - worth the upgrade?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Thanks to an unexpected Tax miscalculation in my favour I am in a position to consider changing my clay gun, if i don't spend it then it will be hoovered up into the 'new kitchen' fund.

I don't want to spend mega bucks, i am simply not experienced/good enough to justify Perazzi or DT 11 cost and only shoot sporting..

I don't want to spend the money on lessons as i am doing this anyway.

The one thing that irritates me about EvoE is the fore end rattle against the barrels.

I have been indicated a 1400 costs to change which seems fair, but is it worth the extra money?

Thanks

"Worth".  Discuss.. For pride of ownership? How it looks and commands admiration; either yours or from onlookers? Or for handling and how it suits you? All is personal choice. These days I just care about scores and don't mind what it looks like. You can definitely not buy higher scores via simply parting with more money for a gun.  For scores, change gun to one that fits better and suits better, but that could be in either direction financially.

On a side note, 692s are not yet known as a totally reliable gun.. I think they vary.

Thanks to an unexpected Tax miscalculation in my favour I am in a position to consider changing my clay gun, if i don't spend it then it will be hoovered up into the 'new kitchen' fund.

I don't want to spend mega bucks, i am simply not experienced/good enough to justify Perazzi or DT 11 cost and only shoot sporting..

I don't want to spend the money on lessons as i am doing this anyway.

The one thing that irritates me about EvoE is the fore end rattle against the barrels.

I have been indicated a 1400 costs to change which seems fair, but is it worth the extra money?

Thanks
​£1400 spent on a like new 682e whilst keeping the Evo as a back up or occasional field work is an upgrade worth doing. The same money spent on a new 692 px deal is retail therapy with a 12-24 hour rush and a lifelong puzzle on wheredamoneygo ?

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister-in-law has an Evo and it doesn't rattle.  My Silver Pigeon used to shoot loose and rattle a bit, but some loctite in the screws in the fore end sorted it.  A tube of loctite will leave you an awful lot of change out of £1400 (enough to buy some nice granite worktops).

Yep, the forend shouldn't rattle.  It is loose screws on the inside, as said Blue Loctite (tiny bit) and nip them up.

Keep your current gun if it fits, get it serviced to remove the rattle and spend a load on a stock pile of cartridges to keep you going !

Am far from any expert but the extra cartridges and clays will help more than the gun upgrade if your current gun fits, its not like your using an old single barrel BSA or SxS.

Cartridges only creep up in price so its a good investment.

ATB

Matt 

I shoot an evo 32inch and have had it since the month they come out...cracking gun for money good choke system not to heavy and nice grade 3 wood does not rattle and when i put it in the right place breaks are very good..my father has a 692 nice gun but worth 1400 more than an evo I would say no.....its all down to what you want and like and feel right with when your shooting...

Good luck with what you do...

Another vote for the Loctite here. Spend the money on something useful........... beer? 

Thanks guys, I had a nagging doubt... Evo is going to gunsmith when I am on holiday to get cast adjusted slightly so will ask them to fix rattle.

i can book three more driven days this coming season instead.

The fore end rattle is nothing to the rattle you will get off of your Misses if you don't go down the kitchen route :rtfm:

By all accounts the 686 Evo is a very fine gun but I'm very pleased with my 692 (32") which I've had for just shy of 2 years now. 

I followed a similar upgrade path to you, but went 686 Silver Pigeon 1 to a Prevail then the 692. 

If my averages are anything to go by the 692 is certainly doing the trick, plus it's the prettiest by far.

Wether it's worth the cost of the upgrade, it's really down to you but as always the best thing to do is try to take one out for a spin and see how it feels. Do shop around though, some 692's come with lovely wood and others are quite plain. 

If you want a Beretta buy a nice DT10 secondhand. you'll get one for 692 money easily.

Whilst I advised loctite and save your money, I actually followed Dibs suggestion even before it was made.  Have moved from a Silver Pigeon 1 to a second hand DT10 (although I've still got the SP1 in the cabinet).  Had it three weeks and am getting used to it fairly quickly.  Scores are a bit more variable than they were, but I think that's me rather than the gun.  Managed to win the ladies class at Northall last Saturday with it and whilst I was disappointed with my score at Greenfields on Sunday, when I looked at the full results I actually didn't do too badly as it was a low score day.

Latest posts

Back