Evo 24grm

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper

Hi

Mrs jasper has been shooting these through the awesome blue A 400xcel  auto and. they never missed a beat. Two fail to feeds in around 4000 shells.  Got another thousand the other week and now having loads of probs. At least 15 fail to feed / misfeeds today. batch number different to the others , different writing on the case. You can also see through the case that the wad is of a different design. So have they been messing ,or have a rogue batch with the wrong wads got through. They just don't seem to have enough go in them to cycle the gun properly. Thoughts Please . and please no auto bashing.

Jasper

Shells can differ from batch to batch and certainly aren't exempt from subtle alterations by the manufacturers without notice ! The minor differences are usually to do with a slightly different hull or powder though and not the wad too often, so if you're sure this has changed coupled to the plastic hull/metal (brass) itself then it would definitely be enough to cause issues for a previously smooth match. 

I have been a fan of both the 28 and 24g version of these shells so would be interested in others opinion about the latest loadings.

PS. I'm assuming the gun itself is as before with no subtly bent bits or parts that have been left uncleaned for too long. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the 28g Evo get stuck under the ejector in a Winchester and the 24g get stuck in the same way in a perazzi. The in both situations appeared to be the plastic hull being thin and having expanded in the chamber when the cartridge was fired! Both ejected fine in over bored barrels!

Hi Hamster

thanks for the reply . Gun the same , religiously cleaned. The wads are definitely different . see attached pic. the one on the right is the old one . No probs with the these. New wad on left , loads of probs. Both from 24grm 7.5's. The powder looks the same although no way of accurately knowing if the amount was. Brass same. Case same just the printing different , maybe so someone can tell the difference :wink:

Been a big fan of these also using 24grm and 28grm. Used them yesterday to card a 93 at gunsite. The 24 grm always seemed smooth and nice to shoot and broke targets well , especially through the A400 with the optima hp. Seem to be rising in price now though. maybe there is better value out there now.

So maybe gotta look for a new shell now these seem to not be cycling the auto so well.

Any ideas????? 24gram plas wad , auto friendly.

Jasper

shot a 1000 jockers through it earlier in year . back to them maybe, if the supply is ok.

IMG_20151214_202908.jpg

It does seem an odd situation  :unsure:  the new wads do look a bit cheaper to the naked eye, I'm certainly no expert but is it possible the older version offered better sealing in the chamber/barrel and so generated slightly higher pressures part of which is then used to cycle the action ? In any case it's their loss if you're being forced to look elsewhere for a better alternative. 

I have been a fan of both the 28 and 24g version of these shells so would be interested in others opinion about the latest loadings
I think you will love velocity+ . Take a 28 grm evo apart and compare. ;)  

I had a similar problem a few years ago with Gamebore Pure Gold. They were the only cartridge that I would use through my S x S English game gun and then suddenly they changed the 'packaging'. I was assured that was the only difference, the loading was still the same. However the next game season, things had gone decidedly wrong. I was not killing stuff the same and I  was experiencing a lot of pricked birds. I was given 50 of the older design cartridge at lunch, by one of the other guns and they performed exactly as expected, they killed everything stone dead. I went back to the supplier and he argued that they were the same as before the alteration, but he did exchange them for some Hull high pheasant. About 6 months later the supplier apologised, he had spoken to several other shooters who were also complaining. Gamebore never did admit to the change though, so, along with Eley, I do not buy them anymore.

Also don't buy eley anymore. Gamebore heading same way. :baby:  

Shot 80 of the evo's with the old style wad and 50 24grm jockers and the A 400 xcel was faultless again. Conclusion . the new wad does the auto no favours. 

Jasper

No not put this to gamebore and given Westley's findings above where all changes were denied , I wouldn't see the response being any different. Been down this route before with eley , even sending then samples of faulty batches etc and got  a voucher for 50 shells and still no explanation. Two years and counting. Not to say that gamebore are the same but I have satisfied my own investigations and will simply move on to something that works in  mrs jaspers auto. Jockers being favourite at the mo. And cheaper. Would have changed to these in the summer after trying a thou, but the supply and price looked uncertain. Both fears now proved to be unfounded.

Shame as up until now myself and Mrs jasper probably got through 20000+ evo's with no problems what so ever.

Maybe it's little to do with the wad ,just a dodgey batch. Either way they now don't work in the auto.

Don't profess to be a cartridge expert and am happy to be corrected. just posting my own findings.

Used 80 + of the 24 grm with the new wad through the 682golde yesterday and my nephew another 80 with his mirook and they were good as ever. So just in the auto they give trouble. Perhaps the bigger bore of the optima HP doesn't help either.

Jasper.

Back