EJ Churchill Swinton Estate

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our day at Swinton, North Yorkshire this week. Formerly Warren Gill shooting ground but now under the management of EJ Churchill.

They've clearly invested heavily in their first expansion north with 15 stands currently on offer and a new club house. Few no birds, friendly staff and good quality targets including a few 60 yarders but all hittable.

Sadly it will only be an occasional treat for us as at 35p a clay it's not far off double some other grounds up north.

A discount is available for members but full membership is £250 pa plus £95 admin fee!

Clearly aiming for a higher class of gun than us! An enjoyable day neverless and we'll revisit. 

Has anyone else been yet?

PM.
£95 for adding your details to a spreadsheet is taking the piss!

Rib Eye steak is about £12 / Kilo wholesale. So why does your 300 gram steak ( £3 retail ) cost you £15 - £25 in a regular restaurant  ( Oh, that's a place where you go to eat, where people cook for you and serve you, You get a set table, no your lap in front of the TV, in pleasant atmosphere with alcohol on sale too. Oh and afterwards they clear away and do the washing up!  :)   you may remember those :)   )

You need a reasonable return on your investment in traps, electronics and a basic Point of Sale system. ( this is not a shoot in a farmers field ) Clubhouse? Toilets?  ( 2 seperate ones remember ) The cost of keeping a parking lot for say 200 or more cars in a reasonable state is going to make you gasp. Even if it's just a cleared piece of ground with gravel on it. Grounds are regularly down private tracks that need some sort of maintenance.  A couple of quad bikes or gators. Power reticulation or perhaps even a generator system. A shed for maintenance and storage ( oh and a security system because scrotes love high value, resellable stuff stored in quiet locations away from populations ) You need a good 10 acres of ground for even a small shoot. You'll need insurance and some tame lawyers to put up with the constant stream of noise complaints and changing requirements from local councils. My guess, sucking my thumb is that you will need around a million quid of loose change and 10 acres plus of land to get into having a 'reasonable' organised, attractive ground capable of drawing the 'premiere' tag. It could be considered a high risk investment what with the whims of a legal system that favours one muppet who moves in next to an established ground and makes a noise complaint. If you are going to run registered shoots you need staff not just scorers ( 10 - 15 of those for the day ) but shop and ground staff. People that need paid holidays and sick leave and paternity and maternity leave.

Would a return of say 10% be reasonable on your capital? Add all the overheads and you need to sell about 3 million clays a year to just break even. That's a lot of shooting. 

Most of the Premier grounds publish annual accounts at companies house so you can go and sanity check this lot easily. 

The question is not 'why does it cost 35p a clay?' the question is more like 'Why does anyone get into the clay shooting business at all?'  

I live in North Wales and will happily drive 100 miles or 2 hours for a good registered shoot. ( I have little choice but to do so ) If there were more up here I'd support them, even at £35 p a clay but sporting doesn't have the support that it does down South. As for why Northerners won't pay the prices, well they are notoriously tight with their money. It's how they can afford to fill the car parks with Jags, Mercs, BMW's, Range rovers and other assorted hardware. 

Small club shoots are well supported as has been said. My local little shoot has 7 stands but puts on a 100 birder by swapping the targets at mid day and shooting two rounds. it gets 50 shooters on a Sunday but that's not going to make anyone rich, it's probably only just making ends meet. Places like Catton Hall are heaving when they run a registered shoot so there is the potential I'm sure. EJ's has obviously seen that potential and is giving it a good go. 

As for Southerners travelling up here, we'd rather you lot stay down there thank you! :)  
You aint getting decent Ribeye for 12 quid a kilo,thus proving you get what you pay for!

3 of us shot 100 birds each on the Claymate system at EJ Churchill,  Swinton Estate , this morning .  The layout is lovely . We shot 14 of the 15 available stands . The targets were great something to suit everyone , and  some very challenging ones making use of the natural surroundings  . There were at least 3 traps per stand , often 4 traps .  Easy to get around with nice a hard surface track around the place . The investment in everything was obvious , it is immaculately kept , the shooting positions well thought out . The staff were cheerful and friendly . 

The way I look at it is at 35 pence a target it represents good value for money , given what you are getting . For us it was just over an hours drive and around forty miles .  I shan’t be going every week but it will go on the rotation of grounds we shoot at . 

apparently the registered shoots will run in squads of 5 and are filling up fast . 

The surroundings also make it a great place to practice for the game season .  From West Yorkshire it’s as easy to get to as Park Lodge Or Coniston  and for sporting targets I think it beats both . 

Summary ,  worth every penny . 

Quality is remembered long after the cost ! Will have a look once I start shooting clays again  !Thanks for the report.

Yorkshire folk can't/won't pay them prices. Park Lodge is 32p a clay and has "no -no birds". I find that expensive but its a  good day out occasionally. 

For someone who like me is retired and fires a slab a week approximately plus pigeons it's just too much.
No its 35p now and has been for well over a year. I also think the place is getting a little run down and everytime I go quite a few traps dont work or are empty . Having  said that ,in all fairness they have always credited me for no birds so it's not a real issue.

Announced last week 100 reg on a thursday starting july. I am expecting a widespread reajustment of clay pricing after the corvid just to help these places stay in business.
As a matter of interest, they are not listed as a cpsa registered ground when I last checked the cpsa web page.

No its 35p now and has been for well over a year. I also think the place is getting a little run down and everytime I go quite a few traps dont work or are empty . Having  said that ,in all fairness they have always credited me for no birds so it's not a real issue.

As a matter of interest, they are not listed as a cpsa registered ground when I last checked the cpsa web page.
I've not shot at Park Lodge since before lockdown but I was sure it was 0.32p. I'll not argue with you as I'm not sure. I know that when I go its usually around £150 - £180 mark each. Last time I said I had a no bird the guy who runs it came out with me to look at the trap. It was faulty and he cleared it. He then took me to some new layouts he'd set up and I shot around 20 - 30 clays on his card to make up for my no birds. I usually shoot a full card (500) then return to have it zeroed a coffee/sandwich then go out again. Normally theres a group of 4 of us, sharing 2 cards. So I guess they look after us.

Generally any ground I go to, looks after me when I go back as they know it's good money coming in fast, mid week.

Yorkshire folk can't/won't pay them prices. 
This Yorkshire bloke had a ride out to Pinewood saturday aft for my baptism of fire that would be return to shooting after the Corona. They were running a 50 bird re-entry comp  so in for a penny so to speak or in this case in for £20, thats 40p a clay and no prizes for the classes. just the best and the lasses, didnt bother with  a second round just got a dongle and had a pleasant hour on the normal layout. Wasnt over busy and there were a few Bigger names i recognised so re entry was a waste, a view shared by the other 4 shooters in my party and unless they change the poilcy there will be no more purple vouchers from our gang, For a 20 quid prize for C class we would all have gone again and i bet this is not a lone view point. Dont mind paying in but want to be treated fair.

Did anyone attend Swinton's first 100 reg yesterday? How was it?

Looking at the results I'd say 80+ entries was a very good turn out for a mid week shoot.

PM.

Shot practice there the other week ,very impressive ground with some very good presentations.I believe the entry was restricted for the 1st regd too and there was a lot of demand .

Did anyone attend Swinton's first 100 reg yesterday? How was it?

Looking at the results I'd say 80+ entries was a very good turn out for a mid week shoot.

PM.
I went and very pleasant it was too, i am going again in a month. Only grumble i had personally was the cost of the catering, i felt the £3.50 for a can of pop and a scotch egg a bit much especially in comparison to the absolute bargain the entry was at £30. I will just take a packed lunch next time.

Well at last someone in the north having the foresight to do a mid week reg competition.  I am amazed why everyone seems to think Sunday mornings is the prime time for shooting Clay's. Ok it's a weekend but everyone is competing for the same pool of shooters. More and more people have midweek time on their hands so why not cater for them. Seems like churchill have seen this opportunity and by the amount that turned up, seems like they were right. Good luck and I hope the continue with this.

Well at last someone in the north having the foresight to do a mid week reg competition.  I am amazed why everyone seems to think Sunday mornings is the prime time for shooting Clay's. Ok it's a weekend but everyone is competing for the same pool of shooters. More and more people have midweek time on their hands so why not cater for them. Seems like churchill have seen this opportunity and by the amount that turned up, seems like they were right. Good luck and I hope the continue with this.
Some people still have to work though 😉

Some people still have to work though 😉
True enough.

However a quick search on cpsa site shows the following numbers in pages in regards to registered shooters 

English sporting the most popular   144   in total

92 senior

46 vets

Dtl seems even more of old uns game

Total pages      37

Vets                   18

Seniors              18  

Plenty of retired shooters out there so do think grounds are missing a trick by not doing more mid week shoots. On a wider issue also shows the demographics of the sport in general.

Latest posts

Back