Effect of moving comb?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Santa2512

Quick  Q regarding comb height

What relationship  if any does the comb have in relation to your shot / pattern?

if i have a comb that is at standard drop front & rear  and i can see down the rib to the bead, i guess that i should get a normall shot spread from  both barrels    60/40   or is it 50/50?

Now if i was to raise the comb at the front  what would be the effect on the shot pattern?  would it still be 60/40, or would it change, or would it move my pattern higher or lower?    likewise what would happen if i was to move the heel end of the  comb?

Mart

As Ed says (of course). A comb adjustment could have a different effect with a different shooter, due to the human factor. It's not like setting up a machine.

One eighth inch a yard behind the bead is four inch difference at thirty two yards.

Generally speaking; raising the comb, lowers the back of the gun...which points the barrels up at more of an angle...which means you will see more rib and the gun will tend to shoot higher.

Adjusting the comb at the back and front, allows you angle it to fit your cheek bone...

But obviously, as Ed Sed...

Have a read of this.

http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/archive/dec_jan08/Parallel%20Comb.pdf

This is one I personally find interesting for a couple of reasons.

1. Personally for me if I raise the comb on my gun I will shoot high... because I most definitely use the bead when I shoot. I shoot trap and check my gun mount every time I mount it with the bead and mid bead to ensure my eye is looking correctly down the rib. Some will say this is bad... do I care ... nope it works for me and that is what counts they can do what they want!

2 For all those who say they do not use beads/ ribs and would have them removed if the could and possible already have removed beads because you only every look at the target and never at your gun should it make any difference what height the comb is at? providing it is always at that height.  If they never look at their gun while shooting and only look at the target then they know where their gun is pointing and provided the mount the gun the same every time the result should be a broken target if they point their gun at the right bit of sky. If unknown to them someone slightly adjusted their comb and they did not spot it after a couple of shots they would adjust their shooting to take they change into account.

So in summary if you see someone with a very high set comb does the gun shoot high? No not necessarily it shoots where it is pointed since you don't aim a shotgun how can it shoot high? If I see someone shooting trap with a high comb I conclude it shoots high because trap shooters do use their beads when shooting... I don't care what anybody says about that, they maybe I don't have a bead ..then the use the top of the end of the rib instead but they do see gun and target simultaneously when they shoot unlike a sporting shooter who may not. Thats my take on it fire away!

1. Personally for me if I raise the comb on my gun I will shoot high... because I most definitely use the bead when I shoot. I shoot trap and check my gun mount every time I mount it with the bead and mid bead to ensure my eye is looking correctly down the rib. Some will say this is bad... do I care ... nope it works for me and that is what counts they can do what they want!

2 For all those who say they do not use beads/ ribs and would have them removed if the could and possible already have removed beads because you only every look at the target and never at your gun should it make any difference what height the comb is at? providing it is always at that height. If they never look at their gun while shooting and only look at the target then they know where their gun is pointing and provided the mount the gun the same every time the result should be a broken target if they point their gun at the right bit of sky. If unknown to them someone slightly adjusted their comb and they did not spot it after a couple of shots they would adjust their shooting to take they change into account.

So in summary if you see someone with a very high set comb does the gun shoot high? No not necessarily it shoots where it is pointed since you don't aim a shotgun how can it shoot high? If I see someone shooting trap with a high comb I conclude it shoots high because trap shooters do use their beads when shooting... I don't care what anybody says about that, they maybe I don't have a bead ..then the use the top of the end of the rib instead but they do see gun and target simultaneously when they shoot unlike a sporting shooter who may not. Thats my take on it fire away!
Did you write all that after your second or third bottle of wine?

1. Personally for me if I raise the comb on my gun I will shoot high... because I most definitely use the bead when I shoot. I shoot trap and check my gun mount every time I mount it with the bead and mid bead to ensure my eye is looking correctly down the rib. Some will say this is bad... do I care ... nope it works for me and that is what counts they can do what they want!
2 For all those who say they do not use beads/ ribs and would have them removed if the could and possible already have removed beads because you only every look at the target and never at your gun should it make any difference what height the comb is at? providing it is always at that height. If they never look at their gun while shooting and only look at the target then they know where their gun is pointing and provided the mount the gun the same every time the result should be a broken target if they point their gun at the right bit of sky. If unknown to them someone slightly adjusted their comb and they did not spot it after a couple of shots they would adjust their shooting to take they change into account.
So in summary if you see someone with a very high set comb does the gun shoot high? No not necessarily it shoots where it is pointed since you don't aim a shotgun how can it shoot high? If I see someone shooting trap with a high comb I conclude it shoots high because trap shooters do use their beads when shooting... I don't care what anybody says about that, they maybe I don't have a bead ..then the use the top of the end of the rib instead but they do see gun and target simultaneously when they shoot unlike a sporting shooter who may not. Thats my take on it fire away!
The bit about shotguns can't shoot high because you can see where they are pointing is bang on for me personally(obviously trap guns like I have are set high at factory, but I mean higher) I do it all the time, had this discussion with Ed, Have a look at his sight picture-
ysysuzyz.jpg
Obviously he can explain better than me.

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the OP's question is if a gun will shoot high or not...but rather how POI will change.  Obviously, if you point the barrels up more but put the muzzles in the same place, the shot will strike slightly higher.

This could be a mind numbing thread - the biggest issue you have is, if you change one parameter, ie the comb, it has an effect on other parts of the puzzle, like LOP, Pitch etc

Increasing the comb might make the gun shoot high through changing the POA but pitch is what will change POI, this is why this thread could get mind numbing...

This could be a mind numbing thread - the biggest issue you have is, if you change one parameter, ie the comb, it has an effect on other parts of the puzzle, like LOP, Pitch etc

Increasing the comb might make the gun shoot high through changing the POA but pitch is what will change POI, this is why this thread could get mind numbing...
How does pitch change POI?

http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/

How does pitch change POI? http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/
And while you're at it, how does changing comb height effect the length of pull?

Buy a book called Stock Fitters Bible by Rollin Oswald - answers all your questions and more

How does pitch change POI? http://www.tirovesti.co.uk/
If you mount the gun to the shoulder, then bring your head down to the stock, the Pitch, can have an affect.  If your pitch is wrong, the gun may point downwards, when mounted at eye level...or excessively upwards.  Ideally, the gun should be level or point slightly up.  

This should only affect POI (apart from what happens after you pull the trigger with regards to recoil and muzzle flip), if you mount as described..shoulder first, then head down, as Trap shooters may do.

If you mount the gun to the cheek, then back to the shoulder as you should do for sporting, then pitch has less to do with POI..apart from how that pitch may cause muzzle flip etc, and what that does to your POI.

So yes, it can affect POI, mostly depending on how you mount your gun.

It is simple really a shotgun cannot shoot high it shoots where it is pointed. If you change the comb height you may miss over the top or under because you did not point it where you would have before but it will only take a couple of shots to see this. If you do not aim a shotgun I cannot see how changing comb height can change anything other than where you point the gun :)

Me too :)

Latest posts

Back