Duck flight

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkside

Shot my duck pond last night, invited a friend who's retired from keepering (he took the photo) and my new farm vet Hamish (from Yorkshire) nice lad with very limited shooting up here. Poor Hamish had been working all day and was on call at night, didn't get time to go home for his gun, so I loaned him mine. 

Not ideal weather for a wild duck flight, still, clear and mild. Watched the pond in Tuesday night and there was 157 ducks came in 7 minutes!!!?  Set off from my house at 6.30 for the arduous 300yd walk to the pond, got my guests settled down in their buts and waited. Beautiful night, clear bright sky with red streaks coming from the setting sun. Bizzarly there was an amazing corus of frogs, in mid October!?!? First ducks came hurtling in high from the west bang on 6.45, three mallard, all missed clean...oops!!! Next batch didn't fare so well...flight only lasted 20 minutes, lots of ducks got disturbed by the shots and turned away, it was fantastic sport. The cocker got some picking up work from the pond. My oldest Alexander (standing) and his cousin Jamie sat with me watching us shoot. 20 mallard and 12 teal picked, two teal and a mallard still to pick. Cracking first night!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
that is an awesome shoot......... have my Benelli and Hevimetal shells sorted and ready to

start our season next month

Picked the other three ducks in the morning, 35 total picked :D .

Once this full moon goes, I'll flight it again...

James forgive my ignorance but are those little ones any good to eat?

can i give you my address ? courier post will be fine for a couple,,,,  :cool:  i wish,, 

nice  meals coming up then? enjoy.

Well shot James your hard work feeding the pond has paid dividends with some great sport by the sound of it, good report too  :thumbsup:

Back