Coaches / Instructors what is a “fair” rate

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could gel with anyone doesn’t mean they can help. 

knowledge is what your paying for 
there is plenty of knowledge to be found on the internet if its good or not is anyones guess.i would say that a coach giving you the knowledge would need to be able to set you on the practical path of using it and correcting the use.and that would i guess need to fire the gun a few more than twenty shots.

Could gel with anyone doesn’t mean they can help. 

knowledge is what your paying for 
But they must know how to get it across to you, so that you understand what they mean.........sadly, some don't.

First you need to differentiate between a Coach and an Instructor , then decide what you need.

Many shooting grounds have Instructors with no coaching qualifications at all and also very little shooting ability , but are 'AWFULLY NICE CHAPS'.

Decide what your requirement for instruction is , find a decent instructor that can take you forward to the level you require BUT also one that you can talk to and get along with .

Quality will be remembered long after the cost has been forgotten.

But they must know how to get it across to you, so that you understand what they mean.........sadly, some don't.
Definitely a quality needed for an instructor. I had a instructor colleague in my non shooting related profession, who could put together the best lessons I'd ever come across. Letting him deliver said lesson was a different matter. Monotonous SOB at the best of times. Couldn't/wouldn't deviate from his lesson plan to adapt to the students previous knowledge or learning rate. Also if the (often foreign) student was struggling to understand a topic, he couldn't  come out with suitable analogies to get the message across.

As for shooting, you could be a great shot with no teaching ability, or a have a amazing aptitude for teaching and not be able to hit a dustbin lid from 5 yards. Hopefully the instructor/coach your hard earned cash is going to can do both. Qualifications prove this, up to a certain point. 

No doubt it's  the reason that some of the top shots who go into coaching do their CPSA Level 1 instructors course. The Level 1 course is teaching beginners to shoot, which is way below their intended client base, but it shows the prospective client they have teaching ability.  I know some chaps that are a better shot than I am that failed the CPSA instructors course. 

As far as I am aware the well known big 3 in the UK, Digweed/Husthwaite/Solomons don't have any formal teaching qualifications (apologies if I'm wrong), but their track record in shooting and coaching speaks for itself. The are also other instructors/coaches out there without qualifications, that I'd happily hand over my money to. I know the level at which they shoot, and how they come across.

End of the day, do some research. Find out if they have any qualifications, look at their shooting history (scores and disciplines) and see if you can speak to past and current clients. Then make up your mind whether they're worth your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
As with everything in life, human connection is a thing. If you just don’t like, respect or identify with an instructor it’s going be all uphill. (I do get that a great mate who is useless doesn’t work either). 

I had a lesson with a British (or was it English) open champion and found his communication style impossibly vague. Useless to me. My friend, a lady, found him brilliant. 

I know a few lads that have had lessons with one big name coach,  these lads in fairness just will never make brilliant shots and I think they get a bit starry eyed ,and think a few lessons with this man will work magic when a opportunity comes up to get lessons with him.. no disrespect to this coach but I wonder how many lessons would he give these lads before cutting to chase and telling them the cold truth,  or would he continue to coach/ charge.  Now with the right student he definitely can work wonders, no doubt.. but the old saying " can't make a silk purse out of a pigs eàr"..

Not everybody is neccessarily looking to become brilliant shots but maybe learn to be more consistant at their level with some minor score progression, I would expect a coach to continue/charge as long as requested and had the availability

Not everybody is neccessarily looking to become brilliant shots but maybe learn to be more consistant at their level with some minor score progression, I would expect a coach to continue/charge as long as requested and had the availability
That would be me.   I’m not looking to be a champion.   My motivation in finding a coach was to rekindle my love of shooting which sadly had diminished drastically.  I want to get back to where I had been, if I achieve beyond that then great, what’s not to like about that but it’s not my burning desire, I’m too realistic for fanciful dreaming.   I need more discipline, less emotion, confidence in myself - all for what is a hobby because in my working life I am disciplined, unemotional and confident.  I’m working with Cheryl Hall and I’m thoroughly enjoying the experience even though I’m being asked to step out of my comfort zone which I find incredibly hard.  It was incredibly important to me that I could connect with someone beyond respecting their achievements.   She is highly accomplished but that would not have been enough to get me to continue to work with her had I not felt she understood my psyche.  It’s not just about technical teaching, we discuss lots of psychological issues.   Some may find it weird I don’t know but if I’ve been asked to try something and it gives me anxiety (I know I’m weird) we’ll discuss it and break it down.  I need to respect that person beyond their ability.  I am improving both in skill level and wanting to go shooting again.

15 years ago when I started clay shooting I was obsessed with the score, on reflection I must have made tedious company.🥵   

As tends to happen I got to meet fellow shooters and got to shoot with them regularly ( now twice a week).  One particularly exceptional shot in the group offered some incredibly useful advice, "stop worrying about the score" and instead concentrate on having fun.  Like you, Sian, in my day job I'm disciplined/unemotional/confident so stepping into a 'just have fun' mode wasn't exactly natural.   Now the only person I compete against is myself - once I've hit a target, I'll try breaking it earlier or later in it's trajectory - the odd thing now is that since taking this approach my shooting has improved massively and I enjoy it so much more as a result.

So whilst getting inspiration from a coach might be one route, shooting with a different group of people for inspiration is another.

15 years ago when I started clay shooting I was obsessed with the score, on reflection I must have made tedious company.🥵   

As tends to happen I got to meet fellow shooters and got to shoot with them regularly ( now twice a week).  One particularly exceptional shot in the group offered some incredibly useful advice, "stop worrying about the score" and instead concentrate on having fun.  Like you, Sian, in my day job I'm disciplined/unemotional/confident so stepping into a 'just have fun' mode wasn't exactly natural.   Now the only person I compete against is myself - once I've hit a target, I'll try breaking it earlier or later in it's trajectory - the odd thing now is that since taking this approach my shooting has improved massively and I enjoy it so much more as a result.

So whilst getting inspiration from a coach might be one route, shooting with a different group of people for inspiration is another.
Interesting that. I went through the same kind of thing. Unlike other disciplines, trap, and especially DTL, is very score focussed. For the first few years shooting a score of at least 290 was my goal. I'd stand on the peg totting up the points lost and thinking to myself, I can afford to drop this many and still manage a 290+ score. Invariably I dropped a stack of them, finished in the 280's and went home unhappy. Looking back it's hard to believe I did it.

The change came one April several years ago during my pre-season 'wipe away the cobwebs' lesson. I got chatting to my coach who told me to break the shooting fundamentals down to three parts, focus 100% on executing each one perfectly and the score will come along for the ride. How right he was. Within a year I'd shot up the rankings. 

The moral being, whatever method you use, take your mind off score. It never does you any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
i shoot esp I'm a average shot , wherever  whenever i shoot  the clubhouse question is  " how did you get on "  " what did you score "       its a numbers game  !!!    

i shoot esp I'm a average shot , wherever  whenever i shoot  the clubhouse question is  " how did you get on "  " what did you score "       its a numbers game  !!!    
Fine working out your score when your back at the clubhouse. Bad move doing it just before the last stand. Then you get the " I only need x to beat my PB" or "I can't afford to drop anymore". Then you're more focused with how many you can/can't afford to drop, than actually stepping up and shooting clays.

Fine working out your score when your back at the clubhouse. Bad move doing it just before the last stand. Then you get the " I only need x to beat my PB" or "I can't afford to drop anymore". Then you're more focused with how many you can/can't afford to drop, than actually stepping up and shooting clays.
I do it all the time.  A few weeks back at Churchills, I'd dropped 6 of the first 82 clays.  The sniff of a score starting with a 9, a sim pair to induce a bit of panic and I drop 5 of the next 10. I don't know how to stop counting, I can't seem to help doing it.

I do it all the time.  A few weeks back at Churchills, I'd dropped 6 of the first 82 clays.  The sniff of a score starting with a 9, a sim pair to induce a bit of panic and I drop 5 of the next 10. I don't know how to stop counting, I can't seem to help 
I'd love to only drop 6 out of the first 82. Think the reason I don't count the missed ones is actually more like I've lost count. 🤣

Latest posts

Back