Closed Down Grounds You Miss.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelfire

As a tarp shooter, a little ground called Picadilly, run by The Baxters, just off the A614 Nr Hatfield Woodhouse. For those who remember, the Poskit family lived close by.

Phil*

I forget the name but there was a really good sporting shoot that held registered events in East Peckham, Kent that's no longer active. :frown:

Has to be Hafod shooting ground in Halkyn, North Wales, a small sporting shoot - my dad ran it, he used to get me climbing up scaffolding to set targets! He closed it when he realised he didn't have time to do any shooting. 12 years on people still ask when he is going to open it again.

Also miss Trentham Shooting Ground, set in Trentham gardens, the guys that ran it were great, they set some testing 100 bird registered competitions. Pity it has closed, great venue, targets and fluffy rabbits!

I miss almost any registered shoot that closes within an hours drive of me! Cadley in Wiltshire was not all that great, but very friendly and just another different venue. The couple simply retired and it closed.

Probably the most missed is Honesberie, which I believe had to stop as the ground had no planning for Sundays? It was a good firm shoot, well run. (Still operates as a corporate venue).

Herefordshire shooting school used to be quite nice don't know what happened to it, also its a great shame Roundwood is no longer open at weekends

As a tarp shooter, a little ground called Picadilly, run by The Baxters, just off the A614 Nr Hatfield Woodhouse. For those who remember, the Poskit family lived close by.

Phil*
I remember standing engrossed watching this shoot - it was the first clay shoot I had seen. Must have been in the 60's.

Many, many years ago, a friend used to take me to 2 shooting grounds. One was Pinewoods near Gainsborough and the other was Ancholme Valley near Kirton Lindsey. I started shooting again at Pinewoods and I love it there, however, Ancholme Valley no longer exists, not a single trace that a shooting ground was ever there. I seem to remember it was a very tidy, compact and friendly SG.

I mourn the loss of Ulpha and Stans on Lindale Fell both near Grange over Sands, both cracking sporting shoots now no more.

webber

Fieldsman Shooting Ground, a skeet layout at Blunsdon near Swindon, urban expansion causing the demise

DYC Clayshoot denham

where I did my first competition, friendly and good shoot, 5 mins down the road

closed down, now a gravel pit

Those guys were looking to get another ground. Even tried to buy Valley View. Thought they might have sprung up somewhere..

they had no joy with VV, but did try Stag and Hounds , dont think they had much luck there either, then the original Prestwood site was the last i heard, i imagine with noise polution it must be a nightmare to find somewhere suitable

Also miss Trentham Shooting Ground, set in Trentham gardens, the guys that ran it were great, they set some testing 100 bird registered competitions. Pity it has closed, great venue, targets and fluffy rabbits!
I'd second that Sam, was only talking about it yesterday when we drove past the entrance on the way back from Oakedge (We'd decided to try and avoid the M6 !!) Was a cracking shoot but it's now "Monkey World" which for some is quite apt. :) :)

Mr Potter

A6 formerly known as Westhoughton gun club, Shot there since 1986 untill its closure in sept 2011. A very sad day for a lot of people there were tears in lots of eyes during the last shoot. The eldest daughter of "Mat" the original owner of the ground shot the very last clay thrown (well she did after about 40 attempts) then it was all over, a very moving tribute to a true gentleman RIP Mat Whitefield.

A big hole is now left in the North of England trap circuit and a lot of the older gentlemen who used to shoot there have now given up due to the traveling now required.

Herefordshire shooting school used to be quite nice don't know what happened to it, also its a great shame Roundwood is no longer open at weekends
I only got to go to Herefordshire once before it shut, from what I rememebr it was a great ground ... shame it closed!

Ancholme Valley CTC for me. I've been lucky to shoot at some very nice grounds with excellent facilities but i've never visited one with the atmosphere of Ancholme Valley. The targets weren't brilliant and nor were the facilities or prizemoney but it just seemed to have a friendly vibe that i've never noticed anywhere else.

The owner sold up several years ago and as the previous poster says, there's nothing left of it now.

Latest posts

Back