ClayMate Systems

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulkan18th

Hi,

My local ground has installed a ClayMate system now which I can only suspect is the result of some dishonest shooters. It's my first experience with the system and I think it works quite well as the ground allows you to have extras on your card for "seeing a pair". However, I was confused as the sign posts now do not have instructions on how to take the birds. How it used to work was as follows;

Stand 1

R-L Standard Crosser 

L-R Battue

On report

now it doesn't give any indication on if it should be on report or sim pairs. It just seems odd to me that you can now shoot what you like and no "round" is set up. Is this the same at other ClayMate grounds? 

If the shoot is 'practice only' most of the grounds that I visit are help yerself to whatever you wish to shoot, it will either clock up or count down, dependant on the system used. Some are pay in advance and are count down at each stand, others are clock up and pay when you return the box.

Pity. With our system you could get bird descriptions and even pro notes right at the stand. :)

The great thing about 'pay and play' systems is that, if you want you can go and practice on just one or two stands that are giving you trouble and the ground doesn't need to worry about people overcooking their target usage. Most grounds with a similar system will operate in practice mode where you can pretty much do as you please as far as targets are concerned.

Most clubs will let you put say 200 birds on a card, you shoot what you want and pay for what you have used when you get back to the office.

It will be good to practice certain birds I struggle with but just doesn't feel right not having a "set course"

My local ground uses claymate on all disaplines and can't fault it. They were loosing a massive amount of clays to unscrupulous shooters who didn't want to pay for extra clays. 

My local ground uses claymate on all disaplines and can't fault it. They were loosing a massive amount of clays to unscrupulous shooters who didn't want to pay for extra clays. 
Shame they've had to do it in the first place but yes once I'd got the hang of the settings it worked well and allows me to shoot on my own. My only quibble is the course isn't set. 

This is one of the things I don't like about clay counters. I think it's good to be able to practice the birds you choose but believe it's good to have a set course that i put effort into it have the same difficulty each week so you can see improvement. 

Shame they've had to do it in the first place but yes once I'd got the hang of the settings it worked well and allows me to shoot on my own. My only quibble is the course isn't set. 
Stand 1

R-L Standard Crosser 

L-R Battue

On report

so this is the description you put up where it describes the targets and how to shoot them....not quite sure what more you want?

I prefer a set course too because I want to know how I have done. The beauty of the counters is that if you struggle on a stand you can have extras without feeling guilty!  I installed one almost a year ago and have rarely refilled a trap since!  I reckon about 30% saving on clays. Most people had no issues but the odd ones weren't happy, but I think it affected them the most!

I prefer a set course too because I want to know how I have done. The beauty of the counters is that if you struggle on a stand you can have extras without feeling guilty!  I installed one almost a year ago and have rarely refilled a trap since!  I reckon about 30% saving on clays. Most people had no issues but the odd ones weren't happy, but I think it affected them the most!
I would imagine the people it effects most are the ones who used to abuse it?

Stand 1

R-L Standard Crosser 

L-R Battue

On report

so this is the description you put up where it describes the targets and how to shoot them....not quite sure what more you want?
It no longer has the "on report" or "sim pair" just what targets they are. So you could shoot all the stands as singles on report or as sim pairs. 

A ground not too far from you installed a Claymate system which cost £16,000 he got his money back in six months. Another ground just off junction 36 on the M6 worked out they were loosing over £30,000 a year buy shooters not being honest.

They have now installed a counter system, I like the counter system as they normally have a solo shooter system which is handy when my mates are at work.

It no longer has the "on report" or "sim pair" just what targets they are. So you could shoot all the stands as singles on report or as sim pairs. 
Are you sure? If it's a standard claymate hit the middle button to go into solo mode then the top button to cycle between A and B on respective buttons, A followed by (fb) B, B followed by A, or sim pairs.

Mark Hughes and I took over Astley Gun Club in June 2015.

It was then a 30 bird shoot over 5 stands.  We had two handover shoots with the former owners showing us how they ran the shoot.

Our first solo shoot was rather worrying.  I did a simple exercise and counted the number of boxes of clays that went out on the ground.  I counted the number of clays that came off the ground.  When I got home I looked at the takings and the number of cards that we had sold.  

A quick calculation proved that for every clay we had been paid to throw we had actually thrown 1.8 clays.  Although this figure included genuine no birds, no way did we have anything like the discrepancy.

We purchased one BRB radio controlled counter release system and installed it on one of the practice stands that we had introduced.  We ran the system for two absolutely faultless shoots.  Our next move was to bite the bullet and invest even more money.  We converted all of the traps to accept the new radio recievers and then went live on all stands.  There was some initial reluctance from some members at first.  A few even asked if the kit meant that they now had to pay for what they shot!  A few voted with their feet and wallets and did not return.  Repeat shop lifters we can do without.

We've now been running the ground for a year.  All of the problems with buttons and wires have gone.  We hardly have a glitch with any of the radio kit, although we do carry a complete set as spare just in case.  All of the original traps have been refurbished and we've bought 6 new Laporte traps.  We now shoot 60 birds over 7 stands.

Our consumption of clays has reduced, membership has started to increase as has the guest shooter numbers.  We allow 10% for no birds, but in reality don't approach that number.

We've made a lot of significant improvements to the ground and the project continues.  Grounds can only thrive and continue to provide a facility if they are financially viable.  Stealing targets is easy to do, we've all done it to some extent without thinking about the possible eventual outcome for the viability of the ground.

John Webster

Rixton & Astley Shooting Club

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Why do shooters think they can steal clays? Everything else you buy you have to pay for so why should clays be any different?

Why do shooters think they can steal clays? Everything else you buy you have to pay for so why should clays be any different?
Can't say I've ever come across anyone taking clays they shouldn't or not paying for extras. As you've all pointed out, it happens and you all have first hand experience of it from running your own grounds.

Whats normally the procedure for "seeing a pair" on your ClayMate systems? 

Back