Clay shooting on the radio

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Selby

Just heard Phil Tuffnell (former England cricketer) talking about his love of clay shooting and that he goes often. He mentioned it after a discussion about eyesight/eye dominance in batting. 

Good to hear ex sports people publicly discussing clay shooting.

It is rare these days to hear them openly admit to participate in such a non-PC sport in many people's minds. Nice to hear it when it does occur though.

There are loads of well known celebrities who do shoot, clays or game, but most find it does not widen their appeal if they disclose it. Not good for business perhaps?

Back in the 70's and 80's there were a lot of "Pro - Am" style competitions which actually reached TV audiences, featuring the stars of the day, from shooting and from TV or sport.

The profiles of the "Pro" shooters were raised but sadly their charisma in some cases was not what the TV producers desired. It's a shame they don't do this again, because todays crop of shooting elite are much more turned on to the media and public relations, and are perhaps even more photogenic (in some cases!).

ian

indeed. The pro celeb thing was filmed at sealand I believe and there are many photographs still hanging on our club house wall of royals and celebs.

I regularly listen to Talksport radio on way home from work and Darren Gough ex cricketer spoke a good few months ago about a day clay shooting he had gone on and how much he enjoyed it.  The other presenter then proceeded to ask about it and he went into a great amount of detail about the targets etc. He said that he enjoyed it so much he would go again.  I nearly crashed the car as I couldn't believe they were actually talking about shooting.  

ian

indeed. The pro celeb thing was filmed at sealand I believe and there are many photographs still hanging on our club house wall of royals and celebs.
Ian, from Ian.

I think you're right about Sealand. I remember it was somewhere in the frozen north. There was a series recorded at Windsor Castle too, and my claim to fame is I carried Suzi Quattro's cartridge bag and gun bag between stands once. Lovely Lady and very chatty. I saw Eric Clapton too, but he was so miserable he looked right through you. It might have been during his "troubled" days though when he was more concerned about his next fix? Beefy Botham was full of himself too and didn't take well to instruction from the available coaches.

Oh ! How quickly we forget Melanie Sykes and Zoli guns!!

Now if she had a Krieghoff I would still be moaning about her poor choice of gun! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back